What's new

32bit CPU vs 64bit CPU

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
You can see a 50% increase with 64bit in fact you can see a 100% increase. In regards to emulators I can only hope because I have no real way of testing yet. But I can tell you video encoding does go twice as fast. Take for example virtualdub 32bit and xvid 32bit. I can encode 1 hour worth of video in about 20-25mins at 700kbps. Now take virtualdub 64bit and a 64bit version of xvid. Encoding the same file at the same bitrate takes 10-12mins. If you've got a 64bit computer I recommend you test it out yourself.

Although besides from video encoding I haven't noticed any other programs which show much of a diffrence. I'm kinda hoping emulation can and it sounds like it just might. There are very few true 64bit applications out there.

I seriously doubt that very much. I got Dual Core AMD64, so yes, I have 64-bit hardware but no 64-bit OS. Either way, I don't use XviD--it's too old. What I should be asking you is to make detailed tests. Is is the same revision? Has it only been updated to take advantage of 64-bitness? Are there other stuff in the background?
The 64-bit processors have a few more registers and also has 64-bit registers instead of 32-bit registers, so operations can be done via a single instruction instead of multiple for 64-bit data. That's among what's new, of course... in real world, I seriously and really doubt 64-bit will give much speed boost. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Coco

Like I said I tried it myself and found the results. You apparently don't believe me. Which is why I say you should try it, I assure you you'd be suprised. If you have any issues I'd be happy to help you try the tests when you get a 64bit OS. Just set a partition aside and install a 64bit OS. You could then use the same install later to test dolphin.Remember 120day trial software is free from MS so it's not like you'd have to buy or even pirate a 64bit OS to test it out.

Also if you'd like, I'd be willing to try again with some diffrent codecs. Although I have a feeling it may be hard to attempt. There are few 64 bit apps and even fewer 64bit codecs. I mean even xvid doesn't have an official 64bit codec. But considering I could come up with 64bit applications and 64bit codec's I'd be willing to test other encodes. I've yet to find a decent 64 bit audio codec to go along with my 64bit xvid codec. The tests I mentioned above I did it without encoding audio (on both 32bit and 64bit attempts).

Last edited: