What's new

NeoGeo Emulation Help Needed Plz

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Is there a NeoGeo emulator that should work on XP? I think NeoRage is suppost to, but it crashes on launch for me, any ideas?

Slougi

there's a hacked version of neoragex that works on xp, but i'm not sure where to get it. Just look around :)

blizz

I prefer Winkawaks and MAME, since they can both do fullscreen anyway, and it's just easier to work with, the emulation from MAME is more accurate and does the more modern NeoGeo games like KOF2000 and metal slug 3

OP
EdgeBlade

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Is there a good place to go to learn about NeoGeo ROM naming conventions and such, similar to Smiff's site for N64?

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
If you want to convert roms, use clrmame.
Now, about emu`s, I would go with Nebula, if it works on XP, or Kawaks, they are both good, and have neat blitters. I prefer them both over MAME, because they removed the whole shadow flickering bug in NG emulation.

OP
EdgeBlade

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Alright, I'll do a search and find 'em both to check them out later, once I'm done with school for the day. Untill than, any links?

Reznor007

Oleg Zaks said:
If you want to convert roms, use clrmame.
Now, about emu`s, I would go with Nebula, if it works on XP, or Kawaks, they are both good, and have neat blitters. I prefer them both over MAME, because they removed the whole shadow flickering bug in NG emulation.

The shadow flickering is not a bug. That's what the actual hardware did. Since the NeoGeo could not do transparencies, they flickered a shadow since on an interlaced display it would look almost like an alpha blended shadow. MAME is the most accurate NeoGeo emulator.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Reznor007 said:

The shadow flickering is not a bug. That's what the actual hardware did. Since the NeoGeo could not do transparencies, they flickered a shadow since on an interlaced display it would look almost like an alpha blended shadow. MAME is the most accurate NeoGeo emulator.
Blah, who cares if it was a hardware thing, it looked gay.
And there is no way that MAME is more accurate than Nebula, they support the same number of games, only Nebula looks and sounds so much better.

blizz

Administrator said:
Moving to other Next-Gen Emulation...

yay! ;)

Oleg Zaks said:

And there is no way that MAME is more accurate than Nebula, they support the same number of games, only Nebula looks and sounds so much better.

LOL, "it looked gay" LOL, MAME is probably the most accurate emulator at the moment, and probably will be for the time being, and for ease of use there's winkawaks, the only thing I like about Nebula is the transparancies, which is a nice little toy.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
blizz said:

LOL, "it looked gay" LOL, MAME is probably the most accurate emulator at the moment, and probably will be for the time being, and for ease of use there's winkawaks, the only thing I like about Nebula is the transparancies, which is a nice little toy.
FFS, how the hell is MAME more friggin accurate than Nebula? I played the games I have as roms on the arcades, and I`ve seen no difference between MAME and Nebula. I actually prefer Nebula for the sound and the picture quality.
I use MAME only for pre 90`s stuff, like ghouls and goblins, and crap like that.

blizz

Oleg Zaks said:

FFS, how the hell is MAME more friggin accurate than Nebula? I played the games I have as roms on the arcades, and I`ve seen no difference between MAME and Nebula. I actually prefer Nebula for the sound and the picture quality.
I use MAME only for pre 90`s stuff, like ghouls and goblins, and crap like that.

the whole purpose of MAME is to provide as accurate emulation of an arcade system as possible hence the shadow flickering

EdgeBlade said:
Moved?? NeoGeo in a Next-Gen Emulatior?

no this has just become a general emulation forum, and this thread didn't belong in Talk of the Town.

Reznor007

Oleg Zaks said:

Did you know that much of Nebula's core emulation is taken from MAME source code? Both Nebula and Kawaks use the MAME CPU cores and audio code. The only difference is the raster effect emulation(MAME has the best), audio interpolation(MAME doesn't support since it is about accuracy), and graphic filters(not in official MAME for accuracy reasons, but unofficial builds support it). And umm...MAME supports over 3,200 games, Nebula around 200-300.