What's new

2x ddr333?

Gugaman

i heard that if i put 2 modules of ddr400 in a mobo they wont work at full speed, does it apply to ddr333 too? (im thinking of buying a asus a7v333 mobo)

and wtf is a registered module?

Eagle

aka Alshain
Gugaman said:
i heard that if i put 2 modules of ddr400 in a mobo they wont work at full speed, does it apply to ddr333 too? (im thinking of buying a asus a7v333 mobo)

and wtf is a registered module?

Why wont they? Ive never heard that before but then Ive never put two modules of DDR 400 in a machine.

Ryoga

Lost
This is what Asus says about the a7v333 Mobo:

"Three (3) sockets are available for both 266MHz-PC2100 or 200MHz-PC1600 DDR DIMMs to form a memory size of 64MB to 3GB. Only two (2) DIMMs will support 333MHz-PC2700; if more than two 333MHz DIMMs are installed, the system automatically reverts to a maximum speed of 266MHz."

Cyberman

DDR black art?

Unfortunately DDR memory is not easy to work with. Also bus loading is part of the concern on using it. I believe if you go from 2 to 3 simms the bus capacitance limits the speed at which the modules can be run at. Even though they are accessing 1 module at a time on the bus, the changes in the DDR bus characteristics is enough to require them to slow the bus speed down.

There are a few ways around this problem, one of which is to increase the number of Bus lines and require pairs of DDR modules be chucked into the MB.. but again only 2 devices because.. more devices increases the bus load capacitance.. and reduces the speed.

I am sure you folks really didn't want to know WHY but that's way :)

GDDR should be interesting..

Cyb