What's new

2d games on chankast

ronyn77

I've tried different 2d games on chankast like mvc2 and in all of them i noticed the same "problem".During play, the sprites look not sharp and specially patterned with squares.The question is,what's the matter?
Is it the emulator or anything else?

FighterFan

Fighting Game Fanatic
I'm not getting this, but I think I have a different version (PAL) of Marvel vs. Capcom 2. I think this is normal with the Emulator.

akirayuki

It's because the Dreamcast is better at throwing polygons about the screen than 2d sprites, therefore in most 2d fighting games the sprites are made from various polygons. Chankast just shows this style up slightly.

Akira Yuki

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
the games look fine in 2D, except when you change the size of the window, maybe i'm wrong, but i think we can see this effect because the emu doesn't make round to the higher value yet (for floating point numbers, when the sprites are resized)...

as i said, maybe i'm wrong...

Last edited:
OP
R

ronyn77

my configuration:
athlon xp 1800+
512 mb ram ddr 333mhz
geforce 4 4200 128mb
i don't think the problem is my videocard and neither the game, because the problem persist also with other games with sprites

FighterFan

Fighting Game Fanatic
I think I've seen a picture like that somewhere with the box like thingies around the character's sprites. I have MvC2 on my computer and there are no box thingies around the sprites on my games, but as I mentioned I think I have the PAL version. My specs:

Athlon XP 1800+
256 MB RAM
GeForce2 MX 440

OP
R

ronyn77

i noted that a higher resolution cause this problem.Also the antialias do the same.however the sprites aren't filtered.I think this is the main problem.maybe with a future version of the emulator this problem can be solved....i hope

giu

I think the problem is your video card.These are screenshots taken from chankast 0.2a(graphic is even better in chankast 0.25):

Mant0r

-0r
scbwdt said:
take off the AA and AF thx :p

Almost took the words right out of my mouth.

I had this problem when I started out with Chankast, turning off Antialiasing in vid card settings fixes it.

Anistropic filtering however causes no such problem, in my experience leave it on to improve rendering quality in 3d games (at the price of a little performance) :)

FighterFan

Fighting Game Fanatic
How come I don't have the SnapIt option? Is this a plugin or something?

Edit: Nevermind, it's a Chankast utility

Last edited:

Chance

VGA Box ring any bells ?

The Dreamcast was designed for BOTH TV and VGA monitors. The reason why 2D fighters look perfect on TV's is because of the scanlines (at a 320x240 res). Since all TV's have scanlines there was no need for AA (Anti Aliasing). However since the dreamcast also enabled VGA (640x480) the higher res (and progressive scan off course) made 3D look MUCH and MUCH better then on TV with 320x240. But altho the higher res was good for 3D, it was bad for 2D. When you played 2D games on your VGA box at that high 640x480 res the 2D characters looked very blocky, mainly due to the game being written for scanline purposes. The 2D game companies did put a nice shiny "VGA compatible" line on their game boxes but customars we're always setup for a huge disappointment. On terms of VGA, they could have "emulated" scanlines (maybe we will see this in a feature version of chankast) or at least use a blurry AA effect like the Xbox does. Niether of wich did they use, they probably figured something along the lines of "use a TV it's more arcade perfect"

Anyway, jes my 2 cents worth...