What's new

I rarely post, but this was so damn funny...

Clements

The graphics card is playing more and more of a major factor in PC games now anyway. My system still scores nigh-on 6000 in 3DMark05 and I still use a "crummy" Barton.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
generalplot said:
In case you can't tell the joke behind the name I use for the Celeron "Celery", it's to suggest that this chip has no beef and is strictly for the rabbits(just like the vegetable, BTW, other users on hardware forums call it the same thing). But we've all had a laugh at you in here. BTW, I should also note that I possess a Bachelor's degree in computer science (which I got at the University of Washington in Seattle, Seattle is Microsoft country in case you didn't know). Not to mention that I am also A+ certified in both hardware and software. So I'm pretty sure I'm more qualified to put up an arguement than you thought. And that 7 years difference means I was building my first 386 machine when you were in 6th grade. And I wrote my first program on a Commodore 64 (in BASIC) when you were barely out of diapers.

cooliscool, it's an Abit IC7, had the highest review of the i875 chipset boards when I bought it, and I've generally always liked Abit. Anyways, there's a softmenu setup on the bios for adjusting cpu clock, voltage and also dram voltage and ratio (5:4 and 3:2, 1:1 is the default, but I'm probably better off at 5:4 I take it?) I've never actually taken this system over it's factory defaults, so I'm not sure where the safe limits are. Matter of fact, I haven't OC'd since my old Coppermine P3 about 5 years ago.

1:1 is best, but I doubt your PC3200 could run at 500MHz. :p So yeah, 5:4 would be your best option. The IC7 is a great overclocker.. go for it!

Redah: Um.. what? Totally wrong. Both of your figures are exact opposites. For 800MHZ FSB P4s, that would be the other way around, big time.

Clements: Yeah. If you put your 6800U in an XP 2000+ rig you'd still score around 6K points. 3DMark is definitely not a good app for CPU/Memory testing. Lately it's become purely a GPU test, that's all. Get PCMark 05. :D

Last edited:

Knuckles

Intel CPUs: using a CISC system. Using base operations for the operations it makes ( + - x / ). All other "complex" operations are made via 2 and + combinations of the base ones. using more than 1 CPU cycle to execute it. What happens with those CPUs is that they are limited to the cycles/sec (Hz) they are working on. means that to make the CPU to be faster, you need it to be clocked higher. also, what comes with faster means more power and also means more heat.

AMD CPUs: A mix of both CISC and RISC systems. Means that it uses both the base operations ( + - x / ) and also go a part for executing complex instructions ( square, exponentials, square root , etc) . It means that the CPU will not use much cycles to excute all complex instructions. it can easily make some in only 1 cycle instead of 2 or more for CISC ones. That will make them to be able to works faster at a lower clock speed than only CISC CPUs for the same instruction. So the CPUs don't have to be clocked higher, means they are needed less power and are normally giving less heat.

If a program uses a LOT of complex instructions, it will preform way faster/better over a RISC CPU (AMD, apple before) . If a program uses more basic instructions, it will perform better on a CISC CPU (intel, amd , apple now?). That's why in most benchmarks, a AMD CPU , clocked at a lower speed than an Intel one will perform better than this one 'cause it will be able to do more complex instructions faster. Clock speed <> Speed the program will go.

Basicly, I don't mean that intel CPUs are bad, I don't say AMD are the best thing ever. What I want to say is that AMD CPUs are more optimized using a more next gen architecture. In fact, 8080/8086 -> 286 -> 386 -> 486 -> P1 ( 2x486) -> P2 (faster P1 with mmx) -> P3 (faster P1 with more stuff) -> P4 ( faster P1 with even more stuff) -> etc. Pentium 4 are simply 486 boosted as hell with a bunch of more "specific" sets of instructions (mmx(1/2)/3dnow(1/2), sse(1/2),etc.)

Now, over my personnal experience. I prefer way much an AMD over an Intel CPU (apart from the K6 I/II/III serie) :p. I hate when some n00bs are saying "my intel 3Ghz pc can beat you AMD 2.17Ghz cpu 'cause mine as a bigger number and goes faster".

So plot, stop saying AMD are crap and intel owns. You are yourself an intel fanboy with that. I don't have and intel system and I prefer an AMD system. wtf do u have to do with that? no shit, it's not because you think something is better that it has to be true. It's not because someone has smth else that you that he sucks.I don't give a f*cking shit that you are diplomed by tatatata from tatidada and a+ in this or that. You're like everyone else, learn from experience, and true facts and not from what other says or what you think. You just make yourself sound more stupid each time. read documentations, go look at benchmark. You may still want to think what you want but ffs, we don't give a shit. Stay with the system you want, I don't fucking care. I will keep what I have and you don't have to care at all of that.

do I have anything else to say? I hope not. now go back to your normal activities and stop making prejudices on everything you see....

This turns out in a thread like the ATi vs. nVidia duel....

I would have replied that from the start if I saw it earlier, but still, that stay in the topic.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Isn't what Redah's saying is that AMD rules and Intel sucks? Looks like you're playing the power game Knuckles.. don't try to tell someone off because you're afraid of Redah. You bet!

The P4 makes up for its low IPC with high memory bandwidth nad just raw clockspeed. P4 is a totally different architecture than P6 (Pentium 1-3), Netburst. Not at all the same (large 21 NW/31 Prescott pipeline stages for high clock scaling, etc).. you can't say it's a fast P1 with more instructions. :yawn:

Fact is, the P4C/E series totally demolish the Athlon XP. Don't take my word? Then go look at some of your trusty benchmarks. No way am I biased towards Intel, because I admit the Socket 939 A64's are damn badass, and I'd definitely take one over a P4 this point in life.

Last edited:

Knuckles

learn the facts, intel didn't change anything from the 486 . The 486 is the base of every intel CPUs after. They had to keep the old stuff for compatibilities. they had to keep the 16 bits stuff in the CPU to be sure old stuff would run on it.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
You're referring to the fact that Intel kept x86 alive for so long.. well well, big difference between that and completely keeping the CPU the same and adding instructions. What choice did they have? AMD, while they did release the first consumer 64-bit CPU, aren't alone. The P4 6xx series CPUs and after, are all 64-bit CPUs. AMD also kept x86 alive in consumer processing for the same reason, compatibility. Until recently, both companies realized that raising clockspeeds isn't doing much and that something had to give, so they add 64-bit addressing. No immediate affect for the average user, and in my opinion, when 64-bit processing really takes off, current Athlon 64s will be quite outdated. AMD did it to start the revolution, that's all.

I don't think there's any use in trying to combat me Knuckles, not gonna get anywhere.

Last edited:

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
For the record, at least you have good taste in cases cooliscool ;) I have that same one I believe, or a similiar model. But being an owner of two Athlon XP 2800's and an Athlon 64 3200, I'd have to say I'm an AMD guy. (Then again, I'm comparing to my two Celerons, so I guess I'm not giving the Intel guys too much credit here).

Speaking of which... why the hell is the computer spec stuff no longer here in the new forum software? That was pretty sweet :p

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Hehe, yep, Aspire X-Dreamer II.. IIRC you have green? I've got the black one.. :D Great case.. but it shows fingerprints and dust like nothing I've ever seen before. :p

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Knuckles said:
So plot, stop saying AMD are crap and intel owns.
Care to show me where I ever said this knuckles? I reacted to a person comparing the performance of my HT P4 to that of a Celeron clocked @ 533. Maybe you can show me otherwise? Check the first post in this thread, you'll find that's exactly what your buddy did.
Knuckles said:
learn the facts, intel didn't change anything from the 486 . The 486 is the base of every intel CPUs after. They had to keep the old stuff for compatibilities. they had to keep the 16 bits stuff in the CPU to be sure old stuff would run on it.
Doesn't this make sense? Otherwise throw away all legacy apps.

Last edited:

Clements

This has been common knowledge since 2003. The above benchmark scales linearly with clockspeed so is not exactly the fairest test, even the FX-55 cannot overtake a 2.8C in this test. The XP 3200+ is normally about on a par with the Pentium 4 3.06GHz (533MHz FSB). Not sure what Knuckle's rant was all about. :p

Last edited:

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Clements said:
Not sure what Knuckle's rant was all about. :p
I'm not sure what it was either, but I have a theory, and it involves the fact that he is even 2 years younger than the person who originated this thread. You know what that means? It means unlike Redah (although not by much difference) he WAS still in diapers when I wrote my first program on that C64 :p

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
i'm getting that there is too many processor fanboys on this board, every time someone disses AMD its like the worst thing in the world to these people, i.e. "HOW DARE YOU TALK TRASH ABOUT THE ALL MIGHTY AMD... PH33R". People getting emotional attachment to manufacturers is just silly.

It's always going to end up with, YOU suck and I don't, AMD suck, Intel rule or Intel suck and Amd rule, this sort of discussion is too predictable. why can't anyone be happy with their CPU choice ffs?

Before someone brings up a post showing what an intel fanboy I was, i learned from my mistakes already ;)

End of the day, it boils down to choice, and also... if it works who cares who made it.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
Sorry Intel fans but AMD hands down spanks the Pentium's and has done for years. But you can post any kind of crap to make yourselves feel better for spending more money for less power.

OP
Redah

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
Ooo, a new private message!

generalplot said:
Eagle said:
I understand that. Honestly I think Redah was wrong this time. generalplot's specs are kick ass in comparison. I dont know why Redah would think that your computer is as bad as a Celeron.
Looks like another that doesn't see things your way. And you were saying?

I was saying, that you are a dumbass. Let's clear up a few things.

1. This thread was to laugh about you. Everyone (except the Intel-people here) had a good laugh. So, goal succeeded.
2. This thread was never about Intel vs. AMD (although we all know who's the champ, it even has 2 letters of its name in the word 'champ'!).
3. YOU were the one starting comparing. I -never- compared a Celeron to a Pentium 4 (which made people in here think I was crazy :paperbag: ). I said it's just as bad, which is true. I then clarified it with the walking/rollerskating/biking example. If you can own a AMD bike, then either walking with Intel shoes or riding on Intel rollerskates is just as bad. I AM NOT SAYING WALKING AND ROLLERSKATING ARE THE SAME.

Dumbass. You'd think with all your high and mighty degrees you'd know a little bit. But I guess not. I have had 7 years of IT education in this short life. I know how processors work inside and out. I run a succesfull business, with people always asking for a "AMD Pentium". Ofcourse, I sell them an AMD, because it keeps them happy, instead of an overly expensive system with less performance.

4. What more... oh yeah, I wrote my own C64 programs too, was so involved with it that I got a floppy drive so I could copy all my cassette's to floppy. BASIC is the simplest of languages and doesn't mean anything.

If you're going to play high and mighty (which was the exact reason to start this thread, to make you feel less about yourself (you're not god))... then let's start.

You say you have all your diploma's and knowledge and am seven years older than me. So you're 29, I'm 22. In those 29 years, you've got some degrees, and? In those 22 years, I've got degrees (computing, network infrastructure design, the entire CCNA package/part of CCNP, MCSE Win2000,/XP/2003), I am running my own successfull business in hosting and computer sales (do you have 5 dedicated servers and over 500 customers?) In the year 2004 I have sold, wait for it, 371 PC systems, ALL with AMD chips in them. Microsoft thinks of me as a valuable partner (not the crappy free stuff anyone can signup for).

Now, doesn't that mean that, since I have accomplished more in 7 years less, I am better than you? I did more than you, in less time. Whoa, kinda like AMD vs. Intel. AMD = more in less time :p

So... there's my ranting for today. If I have forgotten anything, I'll be sure to be back :) Trust me, you'll never win from me. Not because I have too much pride, but because I have more experience than you old dinosaur think (almost 30, doesn't that suck).

I can understand why you love Intel so much, since you grew up with it. But if you had any experience in computers whatsoever, you would have jumped ship (chip? :)). I'm the same as you with Nintendo. I grew up with them and stick with them, even tho the competition is way better in terms of raw performance. But again like AMD vs. Intel, it's not raw performance that counts. It's what you get out of it. And AMD gets more out of their numbers than Intel ever will.

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
and my 2 pence worth, Who gives a flying fek :p

If you want the best way to play game cube games buy the damn console :p

As for what comp is bigger then the other, i hope you two never ever ever meet one day is some public lav :huh:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
AMD might be on top now but that doesn't mean it's always going to be that way, without Intel, AMD would probably raise their prices so competition is always a good thing.

This is how it goes, Intel releases a new processor, AMD releases one too, either one is faster than the other. AMD have only recently came out on top with their AMD64, before that the P4 was pretty much the fastest thing on the block. AMD could be on top for ages, or just months but sooner or later Intel will be back on top, then AMD will counter with something even faster, and so the cycle continues.

Simply put, this rivalry helps speed technology progression, and lowers costs. So its a bloody good thing Intel and AMD are around if you ask me and not just Intel.

And sure, I laughed at this thread, but only because of the assumptions of people saying the Athlon XP kicked the P4's ass, which is wrong. Only the AMD64 deserves that honor.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
This is actually quite ridiculous if you ask me. It's like arguing over religion or politics. Whatever floats your boat. You're not going to persuade anyone else otherwise. generalplot, quit bullshitting. And as to why an admin would even consider a thread like this is beyond me. It's just asking for chaos...

OP
Redah

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
ShizZie said:
And as to why an admin would even consider a thread like this is beyond me. It's just asking for chaos...

That's the entire point! I'm from the AA, the Annoying Administrators... I'd expect you'd know that. Unless you've only been here for about a year or so, then you don't know me :) Which will change! Muwahaha

And such.