What's new

Direct64 v0.5.03.25

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
dragon_rider said:
Maybe if Hacktarux's Wrapper or Zeckensack's Wrappers would actually work like they're supposed to, I'd have a different opinion on Glide.
But that's why Glide is superior in some things compared to other APIs... Some things can be done faster and easier with certain APIs. Glide is a quite simple API and gives the oportunity to the coder to do some things "manually" using the way that thinks that it's best (the coder has more options, he is less restricted but he has to do some time consuming and sometimes hard operations).
Have you noticed that many framebuffer effects (like on Mario kart and 1080) are much faster (and correct) when using Glide 64 than when using any other video plugin? This is more like an API restriction rather than insufficient coding ability.

Even though Glide was not so widely supported back then it had amazing compatibility. The real problem with Voodoo cards were the very buggy DirectX drivers... If 3DFX was still here then Glide could even be supported by other video card manufacturers as well.

Clements

Hacktarux's wrapper works really well for me, much more compatible with Glide64 than eVoodoo which was the only real option not all that long ago. Only snag is that HWFB doesn't work, but few games actually benefit greatly from it anyway, so it's not too much off an issue.

Reznor007

PsyMan said:
But that's why Glide is superior in some things compared to other APIs... Some things can be done faster and easier with certain APIs. Glide is a quite simple API and gives the oportunity to the coder to do some things "manually" using the way that thinks that it's best (the coder has more options, he is less restricted but he has to do some time consuming and sometimes hard operations).
Have you noticed that many framebuffer effects (like on Mario kart and 1080) are much faster (and correct) when using Glide 64 than when using any other video plugin? This is more like an API restriction rather than insufficient coding ability.

Even though Glide was not so widely supported back then it had amazing compatibility. The real problem with Voodoo cards were the very buggy DirectX drivers... If 3DFX was still here then Glide could even be supported by other video card manufacturers as well.

The fact that other plugins don't do all framebuffer functions right is probably because the other plugins aren't updated as often as Glide64. OpenGL has a function called GL_EXT_framebuffer_object designed for render to texture functions, or you could use GL_ARB_fragment_shader(there are other ways also). Direct3D9 has tons of options for render to texture functions.

If you go back to N64, it was designed by engineers at SGI, the creators of OpenGL. The design was intended to be similar to SGI Indy workstations of the time(MIPS R4600 based stuff with SGI video chips). If you want to try out an SGI, you can load one up in MESS(the old computer/console emulator). The N64 video chip was designed to be somewhat similar to the OpenGL pipeline.

The Voodoo graphics chip was designed by ex-SGI engineers around the same time, and they made their own API (Glide), designed to be a cut down version of OpenGL to be easy on PC game designers, who at the time were still doing software 3d(Quake) or software 2.5d(Duke3d) games. Because it would be too expensive at the time to add hardware T&L to the Voodoo, they completely left support out for that in Glide2/3.

OpenGL on the other hand ALWAYS supports hardware T&L, it's up to the video driver whether to use hardware support if available, or use a software fallback. 3dfx would have probably done much better had they just pushed OpenGL(the industry's 3d standard) instead of being greedy and trying to monopolize the market with their own custom thing.

blanky64

Lives in VB6
Ah, love Direct64 - It's THE plugin I use with Mupen64, now.

Also, *IS* glN64 dead? I could swear it performs slightly better than Direct64, but I can't bear to use it due to graphical glitches (what with it being a 0.4 rather than 0.5).
Also, can't use Rice, as I see 'gaps' between the polygons (Radeon X600).

(Btw, does anyone else have any problems with Direct64 and Mupen64 with Zelda:OoT, or is it just me?)

CF2

Pretends to make sense
blanky64 said:
Ah, love Direct64 - It's THE plugin I use with Mupen64, now.

Also, *IS* glN64 dead? I could swear it performs slightly better than Direct64, but I can't bear to use it due to graphical glitches (what with it being a 0.4 rather than 0.5).
Also, can't use Rice, as I see 'gaps' between the polygons (Radeon X600).

(Btw, does anyone else have any problems with Direct64 and Mupen64 with Zelda:OoT, or is it just me?)
I believe that Orkin was considering combining both glN64 and Direct64 into one plugin at one point. In any case it seems that Orkin is only currently developing Direct64, which is a shame because glN64 really is an incredible plug-in. It's not that Direct64 isn't, because it is, but glN64 had some amazing things, like the jigsaw puzzles in Banjo-Tooie working at full speed. It would be really cool to get an upgraded OGL2 version of glN64.

MuhMuh

German EmuTalk Cow
Happy Birthday! We all like your work, and I'm shure your new plugin will be the best ever!

gandalf

Member ready to help
I tested the plug-in with my 6600GT, and...the fog is missing in every game (f-zero x, missing arrows, recharging zone, etc), simulate overscan doesn´t work well, and thats all.
i triend with many drivers and the same thing :S

Happy Birthday :)

Thanatozz

paper mario crash on load screen

I've been trying to get paper mario to work again. It worked with an old version from 2k4, but the more recent versions have a nasty habit to crash the moment the "load game" screen opens.

I'm using project64. I have a nvidia geforce 4 ti 4800SE.

Is it something I'm doing wrong, some setting I need to fix? I was pretty impressed with that old version, seeing as it fixed the flicker in toad town, I hope I can get this to work and see what else is looking good.

Hosma293

Beta Quest Freak
Hey Orkin, looks like one nice plugin you got there! :D

Anyways, this will prolly sound silly so I'm just gonna say it. Would it be possible to make a version of the plugin that doesn't need PS support? I'm asking because the Notebook that I'm on now was I gift from my grandmother from about 2-3 yrs ago with no PS support. You may ask 'Why don't I just upgrade it', simple answer: About 5 months ago we were scammed out of $9000 AUS, Our little saved up stash, and that eliminated any possibility of me getting any upgrades. Since neither my dad or my mum work, I've got little chance of ever seing this plugin in action.
I'm hoping you have the time and the patience too remove the PS code, but I will understand if you can't do it for any reason..

*Crosses Fingures*

Hal

Bartman
Cough Cough; Man its really dusty in here; is anyone alive in here??????????????????????????????????????????????