Which processor for a new computer?

• 2.8 Pentium 4

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Athlon XP 2800+

Votes: 20 74.1%

• Total voters

ShinjiIkari

I don't like titles
What are the advantages of each of these? Please vote on which you would buy if you were getting a new computer to be used exclusively for gaming. Thanks for your input :))

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Get the P4 2.8C (w/HT) for sure if you have a choice bettween the two, it kicks all athlons! It even overall preforms better than the P4 3.06 with 533Mhz Bus. I accually recommend you get the P4 2.6C, it only costs about $10 more than the B version but its a lot better than the athlon.

check out some benchmarks:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030521/800fsb-09.html

The new P4s are definately your best choice right now if you want to upgrade, the athlons are moving to 400MHZ and its only avaliable for the athlon 3200+ which only preforms at P4 2.8B 533Mhz level. The PR ratings are lame IMO. Pesscot will use the same motherboard as the P4Cs, so if you want to upgrade later, definately get one of the new P4s and a motherboard with 865PE chipset.

Last edited:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Get a 2.8mhz P3. :geek:

Doesn't RDRAM suck? I'm pretty certain if you put more than one chip in there is like halves in speed...

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Personally I'd go AMD on this one. True that hte P4 chip may be faster in some situations I believe that the $150+ difference would be more then ok for the speed drop in those situations. The only thing I can think of where it counts that the AMD processor is slower then the Intel is compiling; but I think a home user won't mind the extra few seconds for over 1 hundred bucks ;)

I have to say the P4 is my favorite at the moment. The HT tech Kicks*** (but that's just my opinion).
AMD is OK, but I don't like how the heatsink attaches to the CPU (I think it's quite an old way to attach a heatsink to a CPU, because my old 486's and Pentium's heatsink attaches the same way (plus if you attach the heatsink the wrong way to an XP+ chip you can crack the CPU, YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS))!

OP
ShinjiIkari

ShinjiIkari

I don't like titles
For those that know me, I was confused to begin with here. But now I can say you people have managed to confuse me more :doh: Oh well, thanks anyways:flowers:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
URAMetroid said:
I have to say the P4 is my favorite at the moment. The HT tech Kicks*** (but that's just my opinion).
AMD is OK, but I don't like how the heatsink attaches to the CPU (I think it's quite an old way to attach a heatsink to a CPU, because my old 486's and Pentium's heatsink attaches the same way (plus if you attach the heatsink the wrong way to an XP+ chip you can crack the CPU, YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS))!
Err, what's wrong with the way the amd's fans are attached anyway? Is it ok because of it? Would it be better if the heatsinks were diffrent?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
well you need to buy an intel compatible motherboard as well if yours is an amd board.

personally i think amds are better, i'm yet to see a P4 that is actually good, my athlon xp 2000 for example seems faster than me brother in laws p4 2.66ghz, and thats rediculas.

Flash

Technomage
Doomulation said:
Err, what's wrong with the way the amd's fans are attached anyway? Is it ok because of it? Would it be better if the heatsinks were diffrent?
Wrong hands, bad cooler...
Never had any problems w/ athlons, durons and Volcano, Titan, Igloo coolers.
Some Zalman coolers can be a bit tricky for dummies but never heard about cracked cpu with that.
But never buy Golden Orb, and any other ... Orb for athlons, durons, Coppermine P3 and celerons. It's for Pentium 1, Celeron Mendocino, K6-x, Tualatin, and anyway better stay away from those orbs as they noisy as hell. For K6-x, Celeron (up to 1300) better to use Igloo 2310

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Sayargh said:
well you need to buy an intel compatible motherboard as well if yours is an amd board.

personally i think amds are better, i'm yet to see a P4 that is actually good, my athlon xp 2000 for example seems faster than me brother in laws p4 2.66ghz, and thats rediculas.

He will have to get a new motherboard for the new athlons anyway, his motherboard probably only support FSB200Mhz while the current athlons all have 333Mhz bus with the exception of Athlon 3200 which has a 400Mhz bus. Like I said if he wants to be able to upgrade in the future, his best option will be P4C since the new pescot will be using the new intel 865, 875 chipsets. :) Make sure you get 2 DDR 400 memories so you will be able to use the dual DDR feature.

+The way I look at it, HT is very good especially if you like to use many applications at once :)

Sayargh said:

It all depends all what kind of setup he has, remember P4 largely relies on memory preformance, he probably has sdr memory. :p

Last edited:
Doomulation said:

I just don't like how the heatsink's attach directly to the socket on AMD mobo's, but Intel P4's heatsink's attaches to a base instead of the socket (the 478 socket's are tiny and the heatsink's are huge).

Stezo2k

S-2K
my oppinion is the latest pentium 4's 2800mhz+ out perform the athlon XP 2800, and even the 3000 not by that much, but who cares, athlon Xp processors are a bargain :) i love mine to bits, it's so quick, very glad i got one, the next processor i'll buy will probably be the 2800AthlonXP, it even beats the 3000+ in most cases

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Depends whether you are talking about the 2.8B or 2.8C... I'm afraid the 2.8C with Hyper-Threading is a bit faster than the Athlon XP 2800+. I bet the AthlonXP is cheaper, tho. :)

If you are talking about the P4 2.8B, however, they are just about dead even. P4 is slightly faster at business stuff, Athlon XP slightly faster at gaming.

So I'm not going to vote either way.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
The way I look at it is, get P4 if money is no object, otherwise get the Athlon. Both are extremely fast chips

That's exactly how I look at it. :flowers:

Yes, your brother-in-law's P4 is probably also an OEM system, and OEM's cut corners wherever possible. If I built that P4 system, I guarantee I could make it a good deal faster than your 2000+.

There's another issue with AMD vs. Intel: Platform.

I still have trouble trusting VIA after all their fuckups in the past (an A revision for every chipset!). SiS is much better, but neither of them can compare to Intel's chipsets. AMD themselves also make some great chipsets, but AMD's are old and don't support anything new...

Anyway, problems are very rare with Intel chipsets. The only problem IIRC in i865 and i875 lie in an error in the AGP 3.0/8x spec, which is useless anyway... no benefits over 4x whatsoever. All the benefits from running at 8x are related to the AGP3.0 spec, which can operate normally at 4x anyway. =)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I still think it beats it...AMD's processors are much cheaper. And for those who aren't very greedy over it...it shouldn't matter if the athlons is a little old, if so's the case.

AMD all the way.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Doomulation said:
I still think it beats it...AMD's processors are much cheaper. And for those who aren't very greedy over it...it shouldn't matter if the athlons is a little old, if so's the case.

AMD all the way.
i'll drink to that :satisfied