What's new

2.0Ghz

Trotterwatch

If you get a later Intel Processor something like a 2ghz + then performance wise it will be on a par (sometimes even better) than an Athlon (in most things).

The problem is, the price is also much higher.... Also ensure you get more than 128mb Ram with the P4, as well as a GF2 MX400 as a minimum spec graphics card.

Perhaps it would be worth your while to see if Dell could bundle in a GF3 Ti200 instead of the MX, and perhaps accomodate the price increase associated with that, by getting a processor of 100mhz or so less than you wanted.

Slougi

If you go the Intel route, be sure to get a cpu wih Northwood core instead of the old Willamete. Much faster and runs cooler as well. And make sure the mobo is socket 478.

Eagle said:
I have to agree with you on the Intel thing. AMD makes great processors, but you can't buy a halfway decent motherboard for them, go figure. I've had nothing but trouble with AMD mobos

one word "ABIT" this mobo has taken EVERYTHING i've thrown at it and laughed, when i overclock too far it just refuses to start, reset the cmos, go back to a lower setting and BAM back where u were with no damage caused, its great :inlove:

OP
L

Lachp30

That graphics card with the dell im planning on getting is a GF2 AGP...i dunno what the hell that is, but lets hope it does the job eh? Besides, im ordering in three days.

Eagle

aka Alshain
sytaylor said:

one word "ABIT" this mobo has taken EVERYTHING i've thrown at it and laughed, when i overclock too far it just refuses to start, reset the cmos, go back to a lower setting and BAM back where u were with no damage caused, its great :inlove:

Nope, my dad has an Abit athlon, and it works like a stubborn mule. (Yes, we do have three computers in my house by the way) :p My Dad's and brothers are faster than mine, have faster memory, and yet mine runs the best of all three.

EDIT: Not to mention the quietest, but thats another problem