What's new

1964 through Winex and linux

russofris

Good afternoon,

I am currently running .85 on a linux box with winex. So far this has been the best way to play my N64 games under linux. The graphics are great, the game compatability is the same under windows, and I have my adaptoid (erm, radioshack cheapie) working with my controller.

Currently, my problem is audio. It crackels.

The two audio plugins that work are Azimer's v.3 and .4beta2. v.5 does not work at all and simply generates noise. No other plugins seem to work.

My questions are:

Are you currently testing with linux?
Would you guys like a Linux/Winex tester (I'm a professional software tester)?
Are there any suggestions that you can offer to get my audio working better? (I have tried all of the Az plugin options).

My specs are as follows:

Gentoo Linux
XP1700+ on A7V333
Winex 3.2
Nvidia 4496 drivers
CMedia 8738 (onboard) running ALSA .98 drivers (With OSS emulation)
2.4.22 kernel compiles with GCC 3.3.2
Running games at 1600x1200@85 hz

Idle time CPU timeslice is at 50%-65% when running Zelda and SMB64 (not a CPU limitation)

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo

C

catewauler

Winex and 1964...

Catewauler online:

I´m like you a linux user, and I found the same problem, winex doesn´t match with onboard audio cards, because emulation makes it sloooowww and that´s because you hear noise.

What you can do is to get a new audio card (linux compatible), or using another windows emu on linux (winlinux 2000) that make it better.

Another option is to get a good driver from the web... but I think this is a little difficult to get.

Ok I hope I did help you.

OP
R

russofris

catewauler said:
Catewauler online:
I´m like you a linux user, and I found the same problem, winex doesn´t match with onboard audio cards, because emulation makes it sloooowww and that´s because you hear noise.
Winex does not emulate anything, it is a re-implementation of the windows libraries. Or are you refering to the emulation being done by 1964? Using the Az .30 plugin, I have plenty of idle CPU time left (although the .4 beta2 plugin sucks me dry). I will try a faster proc and post my results.
What you can do is to get a new audio card (linux compatible), or using another windows emu on linux (winlinux 2000) that make it better.
The CMI 8738 that I am using is linux compatable, via ALSA .98 (with OSS emulation), or pure OSS. I choose to use ALSA. I would rather not use a windows "emulator" and stick with wine/x.

Another option is to get a good driver from the web... but I think this is a little difficult to get.
If you mean "driver" as in audio plugin, then I will try that. I have tried a number of them posted on emulation64.com, but I may have missed a few of the non-recent revisions of everyones plugins. If you mean "driver" as in sound card driver, then I am at a loss. Are you suggesting that I try pure OSS?

Thanks for getting me thinking about things, I guess I'll have to stick with mupen64 for half of my games, and 1964/winex for the games that don't work with mupen64.

Thank you for your time,
FranK Russo
Frank Russo

pandamoan

Banned
russofris said:
Winex does not emulate anything, it is a re-implementation of the windows libraries. Or are you refering to the emulation being done by 1964? Using the Az .30 plugin, I have plenty of idle CPU time left (although the .4 beta2 plugin sucks me dry). I will try a faster proc and post my results.

The CMI 8738 that I am using is linux compatable, via ALSA .98 (with OSS emulation), or pure OSS. I choose to use ALSA. I would rather not use a windows "emulator" and stick with wine/x.

If you mean "driver" as in audio plugin, then I will try that. I have tried a number of them posted on emulation64.com, but I may have missed a few of the non-recent revisions of everyones plugins. If you mean "driver" as in sound card driver, then I am at a loss. Are you suggesting that I try pure OSS?

Thanks for getting me thinking about things, I guess I'll have to stick with mupen64 for half of my games, and 1964/winex for the games that don't work with mupen64.

Thank you for your time,
FranK Russo
Frank Russo

the simple fact is, audio has never been that great in 1964. other than the first 7 beatles albums that is.

wait for .9.9 it's supposed to do everything short of make your breakfast for you. i'll be interested to hear how it runs under wine, too, so keep us posted, will ya?

:D