What's new

1964 and Donkey Kong 64? Even Project64.

Benzi_Chan

I've played the game on the system, own it actually, but wanted to see how well a silly old system I built for the girlfriend would run the ROM.

Project64, the latest 1.5 version or whatever, crashes no matter what settings I change.

1964 is more promising, however, as it throws me at the screen the N64 would toss you at which says that no RAM pack is installed. Clicking on any menu item in 1964 at this point causes the whole program to lock and the only way out is to manually terminate the application.

I've checked settings, and they're all fine.

I'm using the following plugins:

Jabo's DirectX 7
Jabo's DirectSound 1.5
Jabo's DirectInput 1.5

Yes, I'm a bit of a Jabo nut. Other than Azimer's audio plugin, I won't try anything else as I get crashes usually or random freezes.

For the curious, the system this is running on:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
256MB DDR PC3200 400MHz RAM
Windows XP Home Edition
ATI Radeon 9200 64MB AGP 8x

Perhaps the videocard could be causing the glitches? Or what? As I've stated, I've tried everything I've seen in the forums, and am still stuck with this problem with only this game.

-Zi

OP
B

Benzi_Chan

URAMetroid said:
Did you enable the expansion pack in 1964 for this game before playing?

Yes, it's enabled.

1964 recognizes the ROM and automatically sets it up for the Expansion Pack, but I suppose something goes wrong.

I've triple checked and even tried setting it manually myself, but to no avail.

Project64 simply gives me some error and doesn't even try running the ROM, period, with that 'infinite loop' glitch.

-Zi

scotty

The Great One
I would ignore trying to get DK64 to run perfectly. DK64 happens to be the ROM that is the most screwed up that everyone wants to play. PJ64 is best for it at this point, however whehn the new 1964 is released;it is said to be perfect(dont ask when its released).

Timing errors are the big issue with this game, jumping and barrell shooting are the worst things this game has to offer emulated, oh ropes the are timed bad as well.

Clements

Scan it with GoodN64 and if [!] is not displayed at the end of the filename it is a bad rom. You can fix it by hard-patching it (with a proggie such as SnesTool or IPSWin) with a Bad 2 Good Rom patch.

All the stuff I mentioned (save for the IPS patchers which can be found at www.zophar.net in the utility sections) can be found in the download section at the bottom of EmuTalk as well as a guide on how to Use GoodN64 by Gent.

M

mainframe19

back a few years i ran dk64 in tr64 5 or 5.5 ,it ran good in it, i made to the 2world with no trouble,i had the cf set to cf4 into i get to the boss, than i use cf 2 at the boss stage, untill i beat him.if you don't it will just restart you back at the boss.i can't rember which gfx plugin.try diffrent ver. of tr64 like the old ones.with some old and new plugins.

OP
B

Benzi_Chan

The ROM is a-okay. Oddness abounds. I suppose I'm just having trouble with wierd things, I do not know. I found three copies of the ROM, and all checked, but give the same result. I am at a loss for words for what to do now. ;p Thanks for the help anyways, however!

-Zi

joel_029

Lead Guitarist
Try using some different plugins. Try the latest N-Rage plugin for your input. Also you mentioned in your first post that you thought the video card may be at fault. Well it doesn't really sound like it, but if you want to try other plugins, use the glN64 0.4.1, as it has excellent support for Radeons.

So good luck with it.

[edit]
These plugins can be found in the download section at the bottom of the main page. Just an FYI
[edit\]

OP
B

Benzi_Chan

It may be the plugins, I don't know. I use, usually, Jabo's DX6 and DX7 plugins for everything almost. They seem to handle things differently (DX7 version doesn't know what to do with CBFD, for example), but get the job done. I'll try the other plugins or input plugins. What's the best setup to use anyways?

And also, why does Donkey Kong 64 seem to be giving people the most problems? Did Rare really program some extremely tough code to push the N64 hardware to its limit to the point that optimizations confuse the emulators?

-Zi

karth95

Lord of the Cats
No, they hate people who copy games so they made the game so strict that it would be nearly impossible to emulate.

In any case, with 1964 .85, Jabo's DX6 and DX7 should work fine. Azi's .40 beta should work well for audio, input Jabo's or Nrage 1.82a works great.

Make sure to drop the PJ64 rsp into the 1964 folder and enable it. Not sure if you need to copy projec64.rdb into the 1964 folder or not, but it might be a good idea.

scotty

The Great One
karth95 said:
No, they hate people who copy games so they made the game so strict that it would be nearly impossible to emulate.

In any case, with 1964 .85, Jabo's DX6 and DX7 should work fine. Azi's .40 beta should work well for audio, input Jabo's or Nrage 1.82a works great.

Make sure to drop the PJ64 rsp into the 1964 folder and enable it. Not sure if you need to copy projec64.rdb into the 1964 folder or not, but it might be a good idea.

Is PJ64 rsp better than Hacktarux's I always thought Hacktarux's was better

OP
B

Benzi_Chan

I've tried the plugins, and copying of files . . but all I get is the following, and I apologize if screenshots aren't allowed:

scotty

The Great One
right click on the ROM name, click Properties. Make sure that the Expansion Pack is turned on. This button should be in the hardware section