Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gentoo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Screw genkernel. I have never used it myself, but from what I hear, it's not any good. I would just configure it manually instead, its pretty easy actually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    to configure your kernel you just need to take an inventory of your hardware (or what you want to work), find the modules that will work with your hardware and then just compile the thing.

Compiling a kernel is easy, as is everything with Linux, you just need to spend the time reading the documentation before you expect anything to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm
    to configure your kernel you just need to take an inventory of your hardware (or what you want to work), find the modules that will work with your hardware and then just compile the thing.

Compiling a kernel is easy, as is everything with Linux, you just need to spend the time reading the documentation before you expect anything to work.
    OK I'll try that.
    Last edited by Eagle; February 22nd, 2004 at 05:50.
    Those who hope in the lord will renew their strength, they will soar on wings like eagles.

-Isaiah 40:31

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh and btw is there anything else (like genkernel) that I should know about following this guide?
    Those who hope in the lord will renew their strength, they will soar on wings like eagles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle
    Oh and btw is there anything else (like genkernel) that I should know about following this guide?
    I think I just discovered my problem. Ive been using an older guide to install this. I didnt even notice the "Gentoo Handbook Project" link. This is much more detailed than the older one.

Plugin coder / Betatester Falcon4ever's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like i said in my post eagle, don't use genkernel or your pc will fail booting, with my zero knowledge of gentoo 2 days ago i learned how to use manual kernel config in a few min.

when you do a manual kernel config be sure to set:
    (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...?part=1&chap=7)
    Files systems (You will find this in the manual, all of these options should be inbuild, not module)
    ReiserFS (if you use it), etx2, ext3, virtual mem file system support
    /rpoc file system support, /dev file system support, auto mount on boot, /dev/pts (if you use kernel 2.6 otherwise turn it off)

turn devfs on(if you use 2.6) => item = "/dev filesystme (OBSELETE)" if you don't turn it on you will get errors during boot.

and don't forget to add your network card (i prefered inbuild but if you compile as module, you need to add it to autoload)

desktop guide (installing nvidia drivers etc)
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml

a tip:
    1. Errors during booting:
    If you get errors during the boot (after you created the kernel proper and made the bootloader)
    *mounting sys at /sys
    can't create lock file etc...
    then edit fstab (nano -w /etc/fstab) it might be overwritten / reset due some strange reason (like in my case)

2. Kde + kernel 2.6.3
    " help eject is being stupid and it won't let me compile kde "
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=875152#875152 < here is your anwser.
    So be sure to use this " fix " before you compile kde (if you use kernel 2.6.x)

Good luck (And i really recommend to upgrade to the 2.6.3 kernel (gentoo-dev-sources)

/me am now a happy gentoo user

[edit]
    Ok one thing i can't seem to get work proer, my via82xx (AC97) soundcard
    I saw " http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.p...alsa+2+6+utils " but when i type amixer it doesnt find the file
    and when i start i get this:
    Code:
    bash-2.05b# /etc/init.d/alsasound start
     * Loading ALSA drivers...
     * Using ALSA OSS emulation
     * Loading: snd-via82xx
    FATAL: Module snd_via82xx not found.
     * Running card-dependent scripts
     * ERROR: Failed to load necessary drivers
     * Restoring Mixer Levels
     * No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!           [ !! ]
                                                                                     [ ok ]
    it won't find the module since i compiled it inbuild... any ideas?

(eagle sorry for using your gentoo forum, but i think it might help you to ...)
    Last edited by Falcon4ever; February 22nd, 2004 at 12:51.

Warrior for God The Khan Artist's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Occasionally I ran into that problem, the only way I could fix it was by compiling the driver into the kernel instead of as a module. :/

You could try modprobe and insmod manually, but it's not likely to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Falcon's kernel was screwed, we tried to work it out on IRC but he decided to completely recompile his system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm
    Falcon's kernel was screwed, we tried to work it out on IRC but he decided to completely recompile his system.

well now Im getting all kinds of errors and I think I'm just going to give up, this is the third time ive tried installing it. Gentoo looks like the only version of linux I might like because of its easy customizations but it just wont seem to work for me so I guess I'll just stick to windows.

Plugin coder / Betatester Falcon4ever's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle
    well now Im getting all kinds of errors and I think I'm just going to give up, this is the third time ive tried installing it. Gentoo looks like the only version of linux I might like because of its easy customizations but it just wont seem to work for me so I guess I'll just stick to windows.
    Hehe i also installed it zillion times already
    but then again, this morning KDE was compiled ok and i could boot gentoo proper (even got msn/icq + irc working through kde's apps). And i could config my kernel etc...

I think i screwed something up while trying to get my sound working. That could be the reason why i couldn't use menuconfig anymore later this day (when i was talking to malc).

Anywayz don't give up !

I've made a quick no-nonsense installguide of gentoo.
    it contains a few parts of the original manual and some fixes from several sites and forums:

not finished yet but it might help ya eagle

(ok in my case i use an ati videocard but the nvidia part is explained here:
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml#doc_chap2 )

*edit (i can't seem to change attachments)
    manual contain one bug:
    # mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot must be
    # mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/gentoo/boot
    Last edited by Falcon4ever; February 22nd, 2004 at 21:58.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast