What's new

Gentoo

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Yea, not all of the mirrors are up with the new files yet tho, but everything should be resolved within a day or two.

Ofcourse I formatted and recompiled today without looking at Gentoo's news post :p

I would have liked to seen the new install procedure :D

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
hmm and i just got 1.4 working last week =|
if i want to upgrade can i do emerge world.
or do i need to do it all over again *_* ?

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Falcon4ever said:
hmm and i just got 1.4 working last week =|
if i want to upgrade can i do emerge world.
or do i need to do it all over again *_* ?
With Gentoo version numbers don't matter, it just would have been nice to see the extra features they're putting into the new 2004 releases.

To upgrade your software just to a
Code:
emerge sync && emerge -pv world
then update :D

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well I think I screwed up my installation. I cant even access it from the livecd for some reason. I can fdisk though so I may try it again, but I'm going to download a live version with more stuff so I can get on the internet (and access these forums) for anything I might need without using text based junk and without rebooting. The Basic CD just doesnt have enough on it. Or I might try to install from Knoppix, not sure which yet. Also, the servers are getting pounded now, its very hard to connect to a lot of them.

Last edited:

Lex

Eagle said:
Well I think I screwed up my installation. I cant even access it from the livecd for some reason. I can fdisk though so I may try it again, but I'm going to download a live version with more stuff so I can get on the internet (and access these forums) for anything I might need without using text based junk and without rebooting. The Basic CD just doesnt have enough on it. Or I might try to install from Knoppix, not sure which yet. Also, the servers are getting pounded now, its very hard to connect to a lot of them.
I've installed gentoo with knoppix because the gentoo live cd didn't found my raid controller, you can browse the internet and stuff while compiling :p to kill time :D.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=2#doc_chap4 for additional steps for knoppix

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Falcon4ever said:
hmm :| why-o-why didn't you download the LiveCD version :S....

Because someone in this thread said to grab the basic version.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Cannot mknod: No Space Left

ERROR: sysapss-baselayout*** failed
Function pkg_postinst, Line 561, Exitcode 2

FAILED Postinst: 1

Alright well Gentoo sucks. I dont think I like it after all, you cant even get it to install so I'm gonna give up on it. Thanks for trying everyone but Id be better off with Redhat which also sucks so I'm just gonna stick to Windows.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
I looked at Slackware and Debian before I started with Gentoo, I dont think they are for me. Gentoo was the only one I really thought I would like. I'm sick of trying to install Linux. I'm just gonna stay in Windows for a few years, maybe then Linux will have improved a little more.

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Allright from what I can tell the bootstrap phase somehow filled up the entire 30 gigabyte drive. If the operating system take that much space, well nevermind, I definately dont want it. I didnt have that many use flags added either, I dont know how one OS could take up that much space. Even windows doesnt use that much.

Slougi

Try SuSe - It's definitely very easy to install and maintain, even for newbies. That said I still suggest gentoo if you want to learn how Gnu/Linux systems work, but if you just want to use the system, get something like xandros, or suse, or lindows, or lycoris, or any of the "easy" distros.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
unix in general is a good thing to learn if you plan on going into the IT sector as a career. I myself plan to stay away from the IT field, but I got experienced with *nix b/c I do a lot of hacking on a particular linux platform.

(directv/tivo combo units to be exact, fun little devices actually, they also yield bit for bit original digital video streams from the directv sat stream, which make them a gem for your average video enthusiast)

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Alright, I decided to try it again (I'm a glutton for punishment). Anyway, I think its working this time. The question I have is, can archive my own personal stage 2 tarball? If so, how can I do this? I have knoppix running and all its software available to me.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Alright, Ive got it all installed yet again, and yet again grub doesnt work. Maybe grub cant read ext2? It claims if doesnt know the filesystem type now. I cant even figure out how to re mount my drive so I can go in and look at the grub files. As far as I can tell Ive messed the whole damn thing up again. Ive had it, I dont think I like Linux. I dont think I ever want to hear the word Linux for the rest of my life. Its just a pain in the ass. Linux is the tool for people who want to waste their time and get nothing out of it.

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Ok well sorry about the little outburst, I kinda pulled an all nighter trying to get it working and then it didnt work which pissed me off and I was tired. I got it working with Lilo, grub is just fux0rd right now until they work that out I'm gonna stick to Lilo. The system booted ok except for the ethernet, sound, and it says Failed to initialize user font, which I dont think thats very important right now. I got the sound working, but I think I may have messed up a little on my kernel for the ethernet card, I'm gonna work on that later. I have to recompile the kernel anyways cause I missed enabling one of the devfs options and the system keeps telling me to go enable it.

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Heres a rundown of my boot config (if it helps.)

Code:
login as: root
[email][email protected][/email]'s password:
Last login: Sun Mar  7 14:11:04 2004 from 192.168.1.1
[color=red]mediaserv root #[/color] mount /dev/hda1 /boot
[color=red]mediaserv root #[/color] cd /boot
[color=red]mediaserv boot #[/color] ls
System.map-2.4.25  bzImage       grub           lost+found
boot               bzImage.orig  kernel-2.4.25  oldbzImage
[color=red]mediaserv boot #[/color] cd grub
[color=red]mediaserv grub #[/color] ls
e2fs_stage1_5  grub.conf.sample  reiserfs_stage1_5  vstafs_stage1_5
fat_stage1_5   jfs_stage1_5      splash.xpm.gz      xfs_stage1_5
ffs_stage1_5   menu.lst          stage1
grub.conf      minix_stage1_5    stage2
[color=red]mediaserv grub #[/color] cat grub.conf
default 0
timeout 2
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-2.4.25 root=/dev/hda3

title=Failsafe Gentoo Kernel
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/oldbzImage root=/dev/hda3
[color=red]mediaserv grub #[/color] cd ~
[color=red]mediaserv root #[/color] umount /boot
[color=red]mediaserv root #[/color] cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/fstab,v 1.13 2003/07/17 19:55:18 azarah Exp $
#
# noatime turns off atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of storage
# efficiency).  It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail and tail freely.

# <fs>                  <mountpoint>    <type>          <opts>                  <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/hda1               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime          1 1
/dev/hda3               /               ext3            noatime                 0 0
/dev/hda2               none            swap            sw                      0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro               0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
proc                    /proc           proc            defaults                0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
#  use almost no memory if not populated with files)
# Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:

none                    /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults                0 0
[color=red]mediaserv root #[/color] exit
logout

Note that in order to use ext3, you have to enable journaling support in your kernel. I even have very generic (rare) hardware on this system, yet everything that I use works with gentoo.

Also, FWIW, this server used to run windows at one point, and ever since switching it to linux, its become so much easier to maintain, file transfers are so much faster, I can execute any process remotely, and I can perform remote administration or download files from the server securely from literally any PC that is connected to the internet. Plus I no longer have a mouse, keyboard, and monitor plugged into it, as they are completely unnecessary.

Last edited: