What's new

Radeon 9600 video cards more unstable than Radeon 9500 video cards?

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
I didn't have any problems moving from my 9500 to 9600 Pro. *shrug* As a matter of fact, since I've switched, all those crashes that I had due to my 9500, haven't happened.

Reznor007

Tagrineth said:
Reznor, the 9600 and 9500 may be based on the same architecture, but they are indeed different chips. R300 != Rv350.

Yes, but their compatibility shouldn't differ. RV350 is effectively a R300 sliced in half and miniaturized. AFAIK the AGP interface was not changed at all.

Thinking about this though, any crashes people get with regular 9600's or 9600SE's may be power supply/motherboard related. Since the faster cards have a power connector, they probably get all the power they use from the connector, not the motherboard. On these cards they get all their power straight from the motherboard, so some not-so-great boards may not be giving enough power, similar to the Geforce issue years ago.

OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Well, good news, I saw a nick over at http://forums.viaarena.com that has an Asus A7V8X-X motherboard with a Radeon 9600XT video card, thus I'm getting tempted to get a Radeon 9600XT video card :drool: .

...But unfortunately, I could not find a Radeon 9600XT video card for less than $159.00 :(.

GreyAlien

I have a radeon 9600xt and it runs perfect on my machine. At first when I was purcasing it I thought my nvidia nforce 2 motherboard and the ati card wouldn't mix but they both work great together. :) oh btw if you are getting a radeon 9600xt may I recommend a sapphire 9600xt 128mb fireblade edition the core is clocked faster at 532mhz at the memory at 325mhz ddr and you get half-life 2 free (when it comes out)

bennykurns

Shitman
Sorry to dig up an old thread guys, but I have an a7v8x-x, the same board as RJARRRPCGP, and sadly, the card does not cooperate with this mobo. Every game I play crashes, and I mean EVERY game. Even all emulation crashes. But the 9600XT is compatible with the a7v8x-x, I know a friend that has that combination.

Any ideas to fix it? ATI says to downgrade to 4X AGP, and I do using the ATI control panel... BUT in my bios, it wont let me change it, it is stuck on 8X mode, its greyed out so i cant change it to 4X mode, so maybe that's whats causing it?

Thanks a lot and for the few minutes the card works before it crashes, its sweet, lol, I love it.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Try disabling Fast Writes in your smartgart panel. If that doesn't work, try underclocking the Core/Mem speeds. Also, keep "overdrive" OFF. ;)

I've not a problem with my 9600XT/Albatron PX865PE Pro. OCed to 550/700.:)

-Shadow-

Banned
OMG lol , Gravediggers at work , huh ? :D

Ok , it could also be that your Mobo has an older revision ( My ASUS Nforce mobo has 1.04 , doh ! ) . Those mainboards are sometimes having probs with AGP 8X ( like mine ) , so give it a try to go back to AGP 4X , there's no real performance drop , really ;)

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
my radeon 9600 has never crashed on me, its always been smooth as silk, btw I recommend a SiS chipset board for ATI cards. They seem more favorable to them, I had two VIA ones which crashed non stop with my old ATI card.

If you have crashes try different ATI drivers, 3.10 for instance.