What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Animated PNG ?

hotsaucebg3

Hello guys. Is it possible to make animated png file that works like high-res file in Zelda OOT for example? I've tried almost everything from gif's apng's and other formats, but in the best case the rice plugin reads the file as a picture, not as animation(i dont know tho it may be because my windows is xp sp3). I want to animate some of the HUD and locations text in Zelda OOT, I have some great effects, made in flash professional.
Any help would be appreciated.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Yes, there is a rice video port that supports this feature. I'm not sure if this feature is included in the Community rice plugin, 1964video or an earlier port.

F

Fanatic 64

1964Video introduced a mechanism to create animated textures, basically you save each frame as a separate PNG and use a TXT to animate them.

The texture files (frames) are named like this, from 1st to last frame, then looping after the last frame is reached:
1st Frame: THE LEGEND OF ZELDA#3A14C086#0#2_all (whatever the dumped texture's file name is)
2nd Frame: THE LEGEND OF ZELDA#3A14C086#0#2_alt0_all
3rd Frame: THE LEGEND OF ZELDA#3A14C086#0#2_alt1_all
4th Frame: THE LEGEND OF ZELDA#3A14C086#0#2_alt2_all
...etc.
The TXT would be named: THE LEGEND OF ZELDA#3A14C086#0#2_infos
It must be in the same folder as all the frames, and it contains the following information:
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA#3A14C086#0#2_infos.txt said:
# COUNT

# SHUFFLE
no

# PERIOD

# SYNCHRONIZED
no
COUNT sets the number of frames, if you set it lower than the actual amount of frames, the plugin will skip all frames exceeding the count. If you set it higher, bad things may happen.
PERIOD sets the framerate. The higher you set it, the faster the frames will be displayed. Note that the actual framerate will not exceed the game's framerate (in Zelda's case, 20 FPS) or the monitors framerate, but it can also be used to control the animation's speed.
I don't know what SHUFFLE and SYNCHRONIZED do.

...However, this mechanism was removed in the Rice Video community version, so you can't animate textures on that version. I don't know if Glide64 supports it, but most likely not.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
[MENTION=86296]Fanatic 64[/MENTION] That's feature is only found in 1964video and not yet supported in Glide64.
Do you happen to have the link to this plugin?

OP
H

hotsaucebg3

Thanks for replies! but...
I've got 1964 v1.1 and 1964 video plugin, but I dont see any option for load hi-res textures. It just loads the basic textures.
Btw fanatic I did what you said, 46 png frames(incl main) and a txt file:
#COUNT 46

#SHUFFLE
no

#PERIOD

#SYNCHRONIZED
no
Ive set fps to 20, because you said zelda runs at 20fps. I think the actual console runs it at much more fps tho.

Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

Configure graphics plugin/Texture Enhancement/Load hi-res textures if available.

OP
H

hotsaucebg3

So I've managed to run the hi-res in PJ64 2.0 with video plugin 1964, but it still wouldn't animate my png files, it shows only the first one.
I don't know if you noticed that little blue square at the end of conversation box that is pulsing/fading a little, im guessing it is animated texture?

image link

btw, can someone give me the dump files(or hi-res) for the dialog box(not the letters, only box)?

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fanatic 64

How did you name all the files?

That square (and all other pulsing things) is not actually animated, what changes is the coloring (if you dump it you'll see it is in fact grayscale). You can't change that without hacking the ROM.

And the dialog box is actually polygonal (2 alpha-blended non-textured triangles), only the corners are textures, so you can only retexture that.

By the way, you should upgrade Project64.

OP
H

hotsaucebg3

txt is
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA#10F7DA86#3#0_infos.txt
the png's are
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA#10F7DA86#3#0_all.png
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA#10F7DA86#3#0_alt0_all.png
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA#10F7DA86#3#0_alt1_all.png
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA#10F7DA86#3#0_alt44_all.png

oh an thanks for the edit nes_player

Last edited:

Lightpost

How did you name all the files?

That square (and all other pulsing things) is not actually animated, what changes is the coloring (if you dump it you'll see it is in fact grayscale). You can't change that without hacking the ROM.

And the dialog box is actually polygonal (2 alpha-blended non-textured triangles), only the corners are textures, so you can only retexture that.

By the way, you should upgrade Project64.

Sorry for hacking this thread, I just wanted to ask something that might also be of some help to the TS. :(

About the dialog/text boxes, I actually managed to replace the dumped textures for it with a detailed image but the game seems to be using some sort of a tint/gradient, making the image used darker.
Is it possible to Hex Edit those said polygons/non-textured triangles, altering the "tint" like property it has over the textures used over it? I was thinking that maybe if I change the colors for it to white or if possible, transparent, I might be able to make the textures I'm using for it appear as is and not as blackish, semi-transparent images.
It appears that, if not all, most of the HUD icons also work the same. All the images/sprites I use to replace it are given a certain tint.

Thanks!