What's new

Rice Video Community version

OP
death--droid

death--droid

Thanks for submitting those! Will try taking a look into them asap.
Also currently trying to clean up and improve the general directX 9 usage so it should work much better than it currently is. This also in turn invovles removing alot of code left for rather ancient systems

Narann

Graphic programming enthusiast
Hi death--droid, I'm working on Rice ported to the mupen64plus. I just solve the SSB64 Donkey Level Tree (sprite) and realize you also did so few days ago (lol).

I've tried to dig into your Rice-Video and the code is too different. The "logicals" are the same, but a lot of RDP/RSP variables are all changed (RiceVideo use "command" for example, mupen64plus-rice use a a "Gfx" struct). Anyway, a naive diff doesn't do the job at all.

And I don't even talk about the combiner: Your focus on DirectX, mupen64plus's on OpenGL.

So here I am and want to ask you: Do you remember any "low level" modifications (like the better insert matrix interpretation for the SSB64 trees) you did that I could look at and maybe apply to the mupen64plus rice plugin?

A big thanks in advance!

gitech

N64 Artist
Hey Death-droid,

I'm coming back to do some retexturing.

How have you been? (reading many threads right now to catch up)

Sorry I had already "left" by the time you started this thread/work on the plugin yourself.

I see I am mentioned in the first post. How did I miss all this?!

I will be DL'ing and testing now.

Later,
Jay

- - - Updated - - -

I DL'ed your RiceVideo 0.2.2 and have tested it.

Unfortunately, CLOD still seems to need OGL as it looses a very important sound channel in Direct X, even with Shunyuan's HLE audio plugin v1.8.2u1 ...which fixes the sound popping AND provides smooth frame rate... when used with OGL. Also, some of my textures are not loading up in 0.2.2.

I am using PJ64 1.6, 1964 Video Community Plugin from 11-29-09 in OGL with Fog OFF, and Shunyuan's HLE audio to get it all working right now.

Also, I like how this 1964 OGL smooths out the un-re-texture-able in game text.

Only problem I have with that setup is that Fog is messed up and it would be great to have the game image fill the screen, instead of having the game fill only ~85% of the screen area.

And, true widescreen would be great, too! :)

Though, I certainly would like it to work in DX though, as that would be the only way SweetFX would ever work with it! Which I should test... hmmm...

Last edited:

AIO

I'm pretty sure he didn't release the latest binary yet. I suggest you compile the latest source.

Try azimer's audio and Jabo's too. Also Mupen64 has better audio, I'd test on that emulator.

What's CLOD?

gitech

N64 Artist
Dead-Droid put a link to it in the first post of this thread. I'd link it again here but you should check out DD's first post for context. :)

There are a ton of screenshots, some very educational reading and links all throughout my thread.

I have not been around for years, so it will take me a few to catch back up..

Any emu/plugin combo for running CLOD must also load my pack, of coarse.

AIO

Dead-Droid put a link to it in the first post of this thread. I'd link it again here but you should check out DD's first post for context. :)

There are a ton of screenshots, some very educational reading and links all throughout my thread.

I have not been around for years, so it will take me a few to catch back up..

Any emu/plugin combo for running CLOD must also load my pack, of coarse.
Release Date: 25/08/2013

Thats nearly 11 months old ;/ . At least for some games, the latest source is much better! I bet you can't even run SSB64 with that old one. Like a few weeks ago, he fixed the Slanting tree problem is SSB64, which has been problem since Rice 5.6.0.

I will say, the OpenGL version is better in some ways than the DX version. There are certain glitches I don't see in the OGL version, but at the same time, the OGL version has a lot more graphic flaws, so I don't think I'd use that.

For OpenGL, your best bet is to have someone port the Mupen64Plus version of Rice Video.

Again I suggest you try Mupen64 and a different audio plugin. I forgot to mention 1964/Rice Video DX has extra problems on Project64. So that's another reason to use Mupen64! Try playing SSB64's intro and you should see it desync on PJ64 with 1964/Rice Video, Direct X. Samus is supposed to hit DK with her fully charge shot, but with this desync, she misses!

The OpenGL version of Rice Video, hasn't been worked on in years iirc. Although the one from 2012 is pretty good. Definitely the fastest OGL plugin I've ever seen. It's faster than Jabo 1.6.

gitech

N64 Artist
Mupen64plus 2.0 only opens the command window for a moment, then closes.

I tried wxMupen64plus. Though, I think it's uses as old version of Mupen64plus, not sure. It launched and loaded all of CLOD's textures just fine. So that's cool, but the render window is offset toward the bottom left (v<) portion of the screen (fullscreen).

With Mupen64plus using C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Roaming\Mupen64Plus for it's hires files location, I'm not to sure it would be the best choice for an all in one/setup package for my CLOD pack.

AIO

I'm not suggesting you actually use that emulator. Despite the nice things they have done with it, like improving game compatibility, they don't seem to care about windows users. I was saying, someone could port that fork back to zilmar spec, so that anyone could use it on PJ64, 1964, Mupen64, etc.

I actually haven't even got the newest Rice Video on Mupen64Plus to work. Probably because the GUI frontend I use is outdated. I couldn't be bothered using CLI. I'm only assuming its been improved since 1964 Video from 2012 had some nice work done on it and some of their improvements came from Mupen64Pluses fork.

If Mupen64Pluses Rice Video is out of the question, then I'd either use the 2012 version of 1964 that has OpenGL, or I'd try getting the DX9 version to work properly.

Anyway, try compiling the latest source.

Narann

Graphic programming enthusiast
Despite the nice things they have done with it, like improving game compatibility, they don't seem to care about windows users.
Mupen64Plus care about cross platform so it care about Windows user too. :)

Mupen64plus 2.0 only opens the command window for a moment, then closes.
I guess it's because it's command line. Open a Command Line navigate to your mupen64plus folder:

cd "drag n drop your mupen64plus folder here and enter"

And run:

./mupen64plus <drag and drop your rom>

And it should work. :)

If not, could you copy paste the error message from the command line? :) Don't hesitate to ask in the mupen64plus section if you have troubles. :)

AIO

I can't compile. At least I have never done it. And where would I get the latest source? From here: https://github.com/death-droid/Rice-Video

I am only a texture artist that is willing to spend 20hrs a day on anything, so nothing is out of the question, really.
Ya that's the link to the latest source. Do you have MSVC? Also the performance of the DX9 plugin is amazing! It's actually the fastest plugin I have ever seen. If you need help compiling, let me know. Even if you're not a programmer, it's useful to compile things yourself because you can play with many different options.

If you're a programmer, then you could port Mupen64Pluses Rice to Zilmar spec. Idk how much work that would take, considering I haven't really look at the source yet. Imo it's too much work :D . So many things to do these days. Not enough time to do everything. If you're not a programmer, I wouldn't suggest porting it, because you will waste countless hours.

Mupen64Plus care about cross platform so it care about Windows user too. :)
They need to port some more plugins!
Anyway, how do I even setup plugins? Like I know that you can drag the exe and rom onto the cmd. I just never figured out how to select plugins. Also, how would you be able to configure plugins?

gitech

N64 Artist
Narann; Have not tested that yet, but I'm off to your new thread to see what's going on. :)

I will keep this tab open too... I am not walking away from this thread.

AIO; Performance is not an issue, I get 2500 FPS if I turn off Limit FPS and don't have v-sync forced and don't have Sync Game to Audio set. ;)

I got it running on PJ64 2.1.0.1

But, this has a problem with v-sync or sync with the audio plugin. Either it screen-tares without vsync, or it stutters (micro-stutter) with vsync set. This is with Jabo sound 1.7.07.

With Shunyuan's audio, it's worse.
And with Zilmars Audio plugin, it's FAR worse.

I repeated these test with several permutations across several emulators to make sure I have a good feel for what's going on.

None of these problems happen with PJ64 1.6, 1964 Video Community Plugin from 11-29-09 in OGL with Fog OFF, Shunyuan's HLE 1.8.2u1, and with v-sync forced through NVCP. It's just perfectly smooth, both audio and video.

Though, you know what? I just tried it with Jabo 1.7.0.57-ver5 and to me, that is the plugin that really needs to work better as it has DDS/DXT support, widescreen support, D3D transform support, AA and AF support, and v-sync support. This allows me to get CLOD to fill the ENTIRE screen with game GFX, and look and feel smooth... yep, right to the edges of my display, all the way around!

No other GFX plugin has any of these capabilities. Isn't Jabo open source now?

Last edited:

AIO

Wait, so you compiled the latest source?

Unfortunately Jabo is not open source and will never be at this rate. That's why Zilmar started working on Glide.

Well with PJ64 2.1, having both sync audio and fixed audio timing on, can mess the frame rate up.

Also does the OGL version even display the game properly? I've never played a game with Rice/1964 Video Open GL where graphics weren't missing.

Last edited:

gitech

N64 Artist
I have not compiled the latest source.

Jabo is NOT open source? He gave up on the project soooo....? He did not release his source?!

I tried all combinations in PJ64 2.1 and none of them gave perfectly smooth framerate. Close, but not as smooth as PJ64 1.6.

Other than not having Fog on, it seems to run CLOD perfectly. It really is nicer than DX as the un-re-texture-able text is smoothed out soooo nice.

If you want pics of my setup then just let me know.

AIO

ROFL, I just noticed the typo I made. Sorry, ya I meant it's not open source.

So if you're satisfied with 1964/Rice Video OpenGL from 2011, I suggest you try out the 2012 version. Also let me know if you're still interested in the latest DX9. I may redownload the source myself. I'm going to also try downloading the last version that had OpenGL and try maybe tweaking it. It depends on how good Mupen64Pluses Rice Video is.

For me, the DX9 version displays more stuff properly, but at the same time, it has problems that the OpenGL one doesn't have ;/ . I guess it really depends on the game.

gitech

N64 Artist
2011? I wish.

The 1964/rice video I have is from 2009!

Hmmm, where could this 2012 version be?

Thanks.

Last edited:

weinerschnitzel

Surreal64 Nut
Hi Naraan! I'm interested in your adventures with Rice Video. You mention that the Color Combiner is a little wacky. Would you say the same for the DX pixel shader combiner? I always thought it was rather powerful. I'd love to see some details on your work with RV OGL, and if there are any improvements that can be brought back to the DX side.

I use deathdroid's repository to keep the DX8 version current. I stayed away from deathdroid's merges with Daedalus since some regressions popped up around then, but since there are some benefits like the SSB fix, I think I need to do some pulls.

AIO

2011? I wish.

The 1964/rice video I have is from 2009!

Hmmm, where could this 2012 version be?

Thanks.
I just got it from some n64 emulator collection. I can't remember where I downloaded it. I tried compiling the last source that had OpenGl and it didn't work ;/ .

I use deathdroid's repository to keep the DX8 version current. I stayed away from deathdroid's merges with Daedalus since some regressions popped up around then, but since there are some benefits like the SSB fix, I think I need to do some pulls.
deathdroid has some other improvements. Like I don't get stack hash errors on his newer version.

I don't blame you for sticking with DX8 though. Do you have your own repository?

weinerschnitzel

Surreal64 Nut
I see you've done some thorough testing. I work on the Xbox version, surreal64ce.sf.net. There are some differences like a lack of software vertex handling, but the biggest difference is that the plugin links statically. It wouldn't be hard to merge it against an older version of deathdroid's that still has the dx8 backend. I've done the reverse several times. :) Would you say it is safe for me to port over his changes? Lighting is correct and everything?

AIO

I see you've done some thorough testing. I work on the Xbox version, surreal64ce.sf.net. There are some differences like a lack of software vertex handling, but the biggest difference is that the plugin links statically. It wouldn't be hard to merge it against an older version of deathdroid's that still has the dx8 backend. I've done the reverse several times. :) Would you say it is safe for me to port over his changes? Lighting is correct and everything?
Hmm that's a tough question xD. I wouldn't recommend copy pasting too much code yet. For instance, he removed some/all of the SSE code. I think he also removed some Xbox code too. The latest one is DX9 only, so idk how easy it is to port back to your DX8 plugin. I'd only port pieces at a time. Have you compiled his latest source? For starters, porting the SSB64 DreamLand tree fix is very simple :D .

I plan on trying out multiple versions to see which one I like the most.

What I'm doing is using the last version that had DX8 as a base and working with that, since that version of the source is the fastest I've seen. Plus it'll be a good learning experience for me. I don't think the latest DX8 one linked statically though. Also, he still has more porting to do from Daedalus.

It's kinda hard for me to compare versions when certain options are forced to be on. I'm not too familiar with the config options yet :D . I used to just use Jabo 1.6 all the time. Now I'm starting to like 1964/Rice Video.

I wish 1964/Rice Video had proper fog though.