What's new

The unofficial Daedalus D3D8 Rel. 2 is here, binary and src

Rice

Emulator Developer
*** Please read all the readme file included in this ZIP package before you ask questions ***

Unofficial Daedalus D3D8 Release 2 Readme
=========================================
A. What's new:
1. Better frame buffer supports
2. Better texture alignment.
3. New games and new ucodes supported.
4. Full screen
5. Remember setting options
6. A lot of other stuffs that I can not remember

B. New Games Supported:
- Yoshi Story, full playable
- Resident Evil 2, almost playable, Zbuffer problem
- Star Craft, playable
- DKR, almost playable
- EVA64, full playable
- Ogre Battle 64, playable
- New Tetris, playable
- Dr. Mario, almost playable
- Banjo Tooie, full playable, Banjo's shadow is hacked and working
- Other games could be supported better because of the new features of this plugin

C. Game Issues Fixed:
- Toy Story 2 menu
- Bug's Life menu
- Pokemon Stadium, menu images
- Paper Mario pause screen
- Mario tennis shadow, almost working
- Mario tennis, screen changes
- Others

D. Known Bugs and Issues:
- RE2 zbuffer issue. RE2 is using depth image, my GF2 MX400 does not support lockable depth buffer, so I can not implement this feature
- If you are using "Faster" as "frame buffer setting", if you have some depth buffer problems in some game, try to use "disable" as "frame buffer setting"
- DKR is not playable
- CBFD, PD, Jet Force Gemini, Mickey's Speedway are not supported.

E. Options:
1. Win Frame Mode
Using WinFrame mode instead of fill mode, you will see only lines instead of solid square.
2. Fast Text CRC
This is an old option, will be removed in the further.
By selecting it, the plugin will do some cheat regarding texture CRC checking, it is faster, but you will likely have some texture problems.
Suggest not to use it.
3. Enable Hacks
The plugin is using many hacks, some hacks are working for some games but not others, try to use this option to see if you can have the game running better.
4. Frame Buffer Setting
Please see the frame buffer setting section because this is an important setting
5. Disable Color Combiner
6. Normal Color Combiner
Use normalized color combiner setting, should make the plugin working better on cheap video cards which do not support advanced color combiner modes.
7. Enable Alpha Blender
If disabled, will use normalized alpha blender setting
8. Enable Big Images
Some of the GBI2 games are using a lot of big images, the plugin is getting very slow for these games, you can disable it by using this option to make your game running faster. Of course you will lose some textures.
PS: This option is getting less important because plugin has been able to support these big images better.
9. Scale Image
Enable this option if you have some texture alignment problems. It will be a little slower.
10.Smart Screen Update, will detect frame buffer switching and do screen update by that time. If you are using FLIP frame buffer type, be sure to use this option. A few games will be just black screen without this option.

F. Frame Buffer Type and Setting:
1. Frame Buffer Types:
Double Buffer Copy is the default one, you can try other one
When using triple buffer types, if the game is flicking, try to use the "Smart Update" setting

2. Frame Buffer Setting:
a. Disable - Don't nothing special handling for N64 frame buffer
b. Copy - Copy DX8 frame buffer to N64 frame buffer memory, Banjo's puzzle piece screen need this. This setting is very slow, but you have to use it at some time. At least it is important to play Banjo Tooie.
c. Faster - Plugin will simulate frame buffer in a faster and cheap way, working for most games like Yoshi story, Pokemon, Dr. Mario
d. Faster+Recheck - I know Mario Tennis selecting screen is using this when changin to the next screen. This option will check the frame buffer memory using and will copy DX8 frame buffer to N64 frame buffer when the N64 frame buffer memory is used as source as textures.
e. Complete - The plugin will create a fake render target if extra N64 frame buffer is used, and will copy the fake render target back to N64 RDRAM frame buffer when it is done. You can try this to play Yoshi Story, not as good as the Faster option for Yoshi, and it is slow.
f. Ignore - Will watch any usage of N64 extra frame buffer, but will ingore primitives written into the extra frame buffer.
g. With Emulator - Emulator will help plugin to detect frame buffer read / write. I have extended Zilmar's video plugin spec, and added three functions for such purpose. 1964 0.8.4 rc1 does not support it. Only my private version of 1964 and newest Daedalus D3D8 plugin support. Banjo and Dr. Mario need it very much, but it also causes problem in other games.

If you have any question regarding N64 frame buffer and extra frame buffer, ask your questions on emutalk.com

G. Credits
Too many to list.

--------------------------------------------
By Rice/1964 - Aug. 7, 2002
Co-author of 1964, the Nintendo 64 Emulator
[email protected]

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
The source code.

Unofficial Daedalud D3D8 Plugin Source Code Readme
==================================================

By Aug. 7. 2002

A. What' new:
- Merge with StrmnNrmn's project. Not fully, but almost
- Full Screen issue is fixed.
- S2DEX ucodes are supported.
- GBI2's BG and ScaledBG ucodes are supported
- RE2, StarCraft's special ucodes are implemented.
- RE2 is now playable by using together with the modified RSP.dll
- Sprite2D ucodes are supported
- N64 frame buffer emulating, RGBA-16 is full supported, CI-8b
is partially supported

B. Known Issues
- Fog is not supported.
- Alpha Blender is not fully emulated
- LOD is not supported, LODFrac and PriLODFrac calculation
is not implemented
- DKR ucodes is not finished.
- Rare games like CBFD, PD are not supported
- RE2's depth buffer image is not supported because my video card
does not support lockable depth buffer

--------------------------------------------
By Rice/1964 - Aug. 7, 2002
Co-author of 1964, the Nintendo 64 Emulator
[email protected]

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
Regarding the project

I think it is the good time for me to give the project up and for someone else to pick it up. I will busy with my school from the next week, will not (very likely) to be doing anything new to this project. I have done my best to fix any minor issues before releasing it. This project should be in very good shape, it is very compatible, quite fast, supports a lot of new games, and also supports a lot of old games much better. It has a lot of potential, and someone should pick it up.

Regarding color combiner and alpha blender issues, because the issues are very video card independent, I have only the GeForce2, not others. It will be very good for someone to modify the project with other video card, to fix the combiner/blender problems.

Latest Rare games are not supported because of unknown ucodes. After these ucodes are know, it should not be difficult to add them because the base of this plugin is very good.

Most issues left are minor issues, like texture alignment problems, need a lot of testing with games, will take looong time to fix them all.

Because it has a lot of new options, it should have an INI to support these options. The plugin can read / write INI file, but need someone to add the new options for the INI functionality.

To other plugin programmer:

. I have spent a lot of time to reverse unknown ucodes for different games. If you have problems for some unknown ucodes in some games, it is good to take a look of this source project as reference.
. The debugger is very good and very easy to use in this plugin, and it is the reason why I can do so many stuffs in short time. I think it will be very useful to try the DEBUG mode to see how it works, and I believe it will help your project.
. I don't mind you copy or borrow code or part of it from this project, please just add my name to your credit list.

EDIT:Sorry, just like the last time, I didn't see StrmnNrmn had released his pre4 until I have posted my project files. My project has not merged with StrmnNrmn's new pre4 project.

Rice
Aug. 10. 2002

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
The unofficial modified RSP DLL source code

The modification is very minor, in only a few files. You can compare to Zilmar's original project to see it.

AFAIK, these modifications are only need for Resident Evil 2.

In project I attached is a whole project, better for you to use as whole.

Rice

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Just want to a say a big thank you on behalf of emulation community as a whole for making all this available. 3 cheers for Rice.

harb

I think it's great work :)
but why is ist that slow for me?(picture to picture)other plugins have normal speed..
anything I may do wrong?

:plain: :plain: :plain:

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
harb said:
I think it's great work :)
but why is ist that slow for me?(picture to picture)other plugins have normal speed..
anything I may do wrong?

:plain: :plain: :plain:

Check your option setting. Don't use COPY for frame buffer setting. Use default options:

Hitman

La la la la la la la laaaaaaaa. Singing with happiness....

Fantastic Rice.... Good work.
I'm playing stuff now !!!

All we need now is a new rdb file with all the new compatibility listed ! Someones bound to have started one !

Banjo Tooie la la la - Play some more - Lal la la la la.... :D

I'm soooooooo happy !:happy:

skinlab65

how do get banjo tooie to play , i loaded the game but get a black screen with the new daed3d plugin . usin it with pj1.5 beta1. yoshi , kirby runs real good and looks real good but banjo tooie its just a black screen.

AIPER666

how do get banjo tooie to play , i loaded the game but get a black screen with the new daed3d plugin . usin it with pj1.5 beta1. yoshi , kirby runs real good and looks real good but banjo tooie its just a black screen

Banjo Tooie doesn't work without the new version of 1964. So you have to wait the next release of this emulator... :thumbsup:

Eddy

I Run This
im compiling a small compability list for rice/schibo right now using the daedalus unno,most games work real good, others have small combiner and transformation problems, while others have ALOT of problems :p ill post the txt file when im done with it

XS Guile

Tireur d'élite
problem with 3d gfx

first sorry for my english in french ;-)
i have tested your plugin Rice and the 2d gfx is awesome, you really did an excellent work but i have some problem with the 3d gfx (see after)... and i saw that the plugin use pure HW T&L with my radeon 8500 and I have the same bug when i choose Direct 3d HAL T&L with Jabo's plugin so i want to know if it could be possible that you can let us (in the option menu) choose between Direct 3D and Direct 3D with Hardware T&L?
because the 3d gfx make all the game unplayable :-(
Please do something!!
Thanks again and vive la france!!!

PS: really sorry for my bad english :-(

now the screen ...

harb

hmm
I tried all options of the plugin and use pj 1.5 and 1.4 and get only bout 10 FPS.. :-(
perhaps I don't have the latest daedalus ini or sth else :-(
other plugins really run normal speed..

??? ??? ???

radTube

lazy bastard
I'm getting the same (z-buffer related?) problems as XS guile on my r8500. Did Rice implement hardware T&L since the previous release? Do the plugins (both Jabo's dx7 with h/w t&l and rices unofficial daedalus) use the z-buffer in a nVidia specific way?