What's new

Texture caching to Hard Drive.

icepir8

I was thinking (and it Hurt) that the big slow down in my plugin is the first time it loads a texture. Well my idea is to save the texture cache to the hard drive and when you run the rom the next time it would preload the textures from the last time so the video would run faster from the start except for the time it takes to load the textures on rom start. I would like some feedback on "Should I take the time to add this feature to my plugin?"

:cool:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
If you dump the textures when they're done loading, it shouldn't take too long. It could speed up some i think, so why not?

AIPER666

I don't think it's a good idea... if I understand what you mean, I should play again the same level to go faster... For example I have to finish zelda (to save all the textures on the hard disk) and then play it again to increase speed... NaaaaaaH! :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
AIPER666 said:
I don't think it's a good idea... if I understand what you mean, I should play again the same level to go faster... For example I have to finish zelda (to save all the textures on the hard disk) and then play it again to increase speed... NaaaaaaH! :)
You don't get the point :p
It's dumping them when unloading the game. And next time u play it, it will go faster.
(You don't intendo to play a game only once, do you?)

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
It would speed things up, plus people would be able to open the textures anbd see what they look like and we wouldn't have anymore "How do I exreact images from ROMs" threads anymore :)

LD.

*poke*
Pfft, who'd make a thread like that?

*hangs head in shame*

I think it's a good idea, go for it :)

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
i can see only one problem with it:
you have to be sure that keeping the textures in storable format will not slow down the emu too much.

A little off topic, but i have tried 1080 snowboarding on the my linux port of your plugin and i have the following problem : the first two screens show slowly and the plugin is allocating many memory (>200Mb in the copyright screen), and then it crashes when the system can't allocate more memory... Do u have any idea of what causes this problem ?

OP
icepir8

icepir8

Yeah, The crc generation function is fubar. I am righting a new 1.
faster and less prone to multiple loads of the same texture.

VoodooX

VDX ini Creator
Execellent idea and i say
'YEAH!'
It might help solve some of the speed issues,which is the only real weakness of ur plugin, man!

btw i dont understand ur entry to the fav game catagory.
Please explain.
also ur sig has half of it missing!

Last edited:

Anton

I like beer
Malcolm said:
It would speed things up, plus people would be able to open the textures anbd see what they look like and we wouldn't have anymore "How do I exreact images from ROMs" threads anymore :)

Yes, yes, yes!

If it'll be possible to have all textures dumped from rom at my HD, I finally will be able to finish my Zelda's "kokiri forest" map for Quake3 :bunny:

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
But if you create such option wouldn't it create really bigfiles on your hd 60+ mb?

(and if you created the option i assume some people can "prerender" scenes and zip then so people with less speedy pc can play 2)

crhylove

Banned
lol

first off, i don't see a weakness in icepir8's plug.

it is the best out in some games. and it is the closest to emu my personal fave, dr mario. did u see those screens ice?

what cracks me up is that like so many of my brainy friends, ice can do all this mad complex coding, and then he'll type "i'm righting this or that" instead of "i'm writing this or that." LOL

actually, ice i think the best thing in your plug is the frame buffer emulation, but with it enabled there are some slow downs, so if texture caching will eliminate that problem, then definitely go for it.

and yeah, the ucode autodetect will help n00bs a bit. :D

good luck! i can't wait for the next beta!

rhy

1964er

Re: lol

crhylove said:
first off, i don't see a weakness in icepir8's plug.

and yeah, the ucode autodetect will help n00bs a bit. :D

good luck! i can't wait for the next beta!

rhy

:plain2: nothing has no weakness. Your first statement shows ur blind devotion. the ucode autodetect is not just for n00bs. Can you recite all the ucodes for me?

1964er

Re: lol

crhylove said:

actually, ice i think the best thing in your plug is the frame buffer emulation, but with it enabled there are some slow downs, so if texture caching will eliminate that problem, then definitely go for it.

do you know what you are talking about?!? texture caching cant help frame buffer much (if at all).

Last edited: