What's new

ATI Radeon 9700???

Trotterwatch

Yes, but that is new Radeon tech - a more valid comparison will be with the new Nvidia card (which as far as I am aware, will not be using the GeForce name).

Let's hope it does well though - will be good for Nvidia to have some decent competition for a change.

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
The card looks promising, but like ATI always does, their drivers still don't look decent. Also, aparently they have dropped the unified driver set, (or at least started over) so radeon 8500 users can expect driver optimizations to stop in a year or so.

/me is going to wait for Doom 3 to determine the standard for graphics before buying any new cards.

Josep

eyerun4phun
2bzy4ne1 said:
Look at the New ATi Radeon 9700 The new Radeon 9700 ownz!!:thumbsup: It does better than the gf4 ti4600 in ut 2003 demo. The benchmarks prove it.

because ATI wasn't going to try to beat nvidia??:happy: hehe no shit ATI was going to throw out a monster card to blow away nvidia a few months later.

but wait did you read this qoute?

Based on the current specs of NV30, believe it or not, it will be faster than the Radeon 9700.

Duh, its the computer market, its not like one will always rule, maybe for awhile, but you guys know;)

Reznor007

AlphaWolf said:
The card looks promising, but like ATI always does, their drivers still don't look decent. Also, aparently they have dropped the unified driver set, (or at least started over) so radeon 8500 users can expect driver optimizations to stop in a year or so.

* AlphaWolf is going to wait for Doom 3 to determine the standard for graphics before buying any new cards.

Doom3 was recently demo'd on Radeon9700 alpha boards using alpha drivers, and it ran great.

crhylove

Banned
carmack.

well, carmack is pissed at nvidia for the geforce4 mx being called a geforce 4 at all, when it SUCKS. he says (and i agree) that this is a bad and dishonest marketing ploy.

otoh, he is all behind ati atm. but yeah, all bets are off when nv30 comes out. nvidia has a way of DECIMATING the competition when the new model comes along.....

rhy

here's a more valid ?:

where THE HELL is ut 2003?

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Reznor007 said:

Doom3 was recently demo'd on Radeon9700 alpha boards using alpha drivers, and it ran great.

Doom 3 was demoed on a lot of cards, but not a single one will run the game to its full potential. I am waiting for the one that will allow the game to run at its full potential. (like I said, it will no doubt set the new standard)

Not that I will necessarily want that game, but the games that come out around its time will likely follow suit with its graphics capabilities.

Last edited:

Johnny_Rico

Mobile Infantry
AlphaWolf said:
Also, aparently they have dropped the unified driver set, (or at least started over) so radeon 8500 users can expect driver optimizations to stop in a year or so.

How can they not update the drivers if they still sell the old 8MB cards?

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Well, generaly when a new generation of cards comes around, mfrs will stop doing further optimizations, adding features, etc of older cards. Sure, compatibility updates and bug fixes will probably still come around here and there for a few years to come, but overall improvements in general will probably halt. When they do UDA, the older cards will see the optimizations of the newwer ones, just look at TNT, which is practicaly voodoo 2 generation.

Last edited:

sk8bloke22

roll for life
yeh ut2003 beta is available around the net, shouldnt really be chatting about this sort shenanigans hear :D

/me slaps myslef

anyway, that ati card looks amazing, it comes out like this or next month, whilst the nv30 has stil quite a few months before release, so ati hav time to start producing an even fast card, hence they are ahead in the competition between the two companies.

Reznor007

AlphaWolf said:

Doom 3 was demoed on a lot of cards, but not a single one will run the game to its full potential. I am waiting for the one that will allow the game to run at its full potential. (like I said, it will no doubt set the new standard)

Not that I will necessarily want that game, but the games that come out around its time will likely follow suit with its graphics capabilities.

At E3 it was only ran on Radeon9700 cards. The card will run the game in a single pass, and at a decent speed. The only other card it has been shown on was a Geforce3 a long time ago, and the engine has been upgraded since then.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
sk8bloke22 said:
yeh ut2003 beta is available around the net, shouldnt really be chatting about this sort shenanigans hear :D

* sk8bloke22 slaps myslef

anyway, that ati card looks amazing, it comes out like this or next month, whilst the nv30 has stil quite a few months before release, so ati hav time to start producing an even fast card, hence they are ahead in the competition between the two companies.

Actualy I went and bought a copy of unreal that includes every unreal game/expansion ever released (as well as UT 2003 playable demo) from EB for $14

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Reznor007 said:

At E3 it was only ran on Radeon9700 cards. The card will run the game in a single pass, and at a decent speed. The only other card it has been shown on was a Geforce3 a long time ago, and the engine has been upgraded since then.

Yep, but neither of the cards rendered the engine to its fullest graphics capability. (even if they could, it wouldnt be full speed on either card)

Reznor007

AlphaWolf said:

Yep, but neither of the cards rendered the engine to its fullest graphics capability. (even if they could, it wouldnt be full speed on either card)

It does everything the engine can do. Most of the engine is stencil shadowing with bump mapping, which even Geforce1 can do.

And you did see the video of the gameplay right? It ran pretty good there(at presumably 1024x768x32).

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Thats not what ive heard, ive heard it uses some opengl extentions that no current cards support. Ill see if I can find it...

crhylove

Banned
air basin pollution...

is highest in the usa in an area of s. california called "the inland empire". so do u live in riverside, san bernadino, or what?

rhy

Josep

eyerun4phun
No, i live in the worst air basin in the U.S.A., the San joaquin valley, L.A. just got rated under us because they know how to use their public transportation(i.e. CNG's or compressed natural gases) We're hella stupid and we still use regular old fossil fuels for public transportation...ooooo don't let me get into it;)