What's new

how long wud it take?

E

emuguy

how long wud it take to learn c++ or whatever it isu use to program an emulstor?

sk8bloke22

roll for life
well i tried to learn visual basic and got not very far. depends how comitted u r to teaching something, and how easy u find it to pick it up. in terms to program an emu, from wat ive learnt, u need to be pretty damn good at using the coding language as unlike learning the language (which can be done reasonably easily through tutorials and simplistic guides), emulaters hav far less documentation, and u hav to understand the language well enough to apply it to ur own ability, if u get me. get a C++ tutorial and C++ (or even easier start with visual basic) and give it a go, it cant do u any harm, and is something useful to know. i cant really answer how long its gonna take u, i mean if u say 'how long does it take to learn algebra', for some they'll pick it up instantly, whilst others will be banging their heads against a wall trying to understand it.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
So you've been trying to visual basic, eh?
It's very easy actually to let you know. It's a good starting language, although it's not quite as powerful as c++, but yet good enough. You just need to learn it.

If you do, feel free to ask me questions--I'm the master of it ;)

BTW, talkin' to ya both.

Doomulation

sk8bloke22 said:
i cant be arsed with it, all learning visual basic did was remind how much i hated maths.
Lol, it's probably one of the best languages to program in.
But, hey, I too, hated to do maths, so we're the same on that topic.

mesman00

What's that...?
my opinion differs from most, i say start w/ c++, then if u even care to, try vb. i say this because when u start with c++ you learn the fundamentals of programming better than you would if you started with vb. personally, i started with vb, and ill i did was read a copy code from a book, thought i was programming. NOPE! when i turned to c++, that is when i began actually LEARNING.

Doomulation

mesman00 said:
my opinion differs from most, i say start w/ c++, then if u even care to, try vb. i say this because when u start with c++ you learn the fundamentals of programming better than you would if you started with vb. personally, i started with vb, and ill i did was read a copy code from a book, thought i was programming. NOPE! when i turned to c++, that is when i began actually LEARNING.
BAH! Do you know how hard c++ really is?
You'd start with VB, 'cuz it's programming--and it's easy! You'll learn the basics of programming.
Then, get a good tutorial of c++ how it works a little, and about the compiler and stuff, and you're pretty much ready for c++.

Jsr

I was also one who used VB, but now almost always using C++. It's a difficult language to learn, but when you start to get it, is it not as hard as it looks like. Actually, I now like it better then VB. If you want to do an emulator is VB not to think of, even if it's possible with lower systems, like the NES ;)
But we don't have to forget that VB actually is the most popular language.
However, to learn C++ took only a couple of months, with a good book. I guess its easier when you have some kind of experience before. But now I think I know it as well as I do with VB. For win programming is all info you need in the MSDN library.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
To learn programming I would suggest starting off with Visual Basic (you can download version 3.0 for free off Microsoft).

Now why would you want to start off with such a "Basic" language? Just for that reason, it’s basic. You'll learn how programs are structured and what type of logic to use.

Now, Visual basic isn't the only good thing to start off with. If you don't feel like downloading a 5mb file from Microsoft you can always just program in QBASIC, the free DOS application.

Now with QBasic you won't be able to program any amazing graphical displays, but as I stated earlier, you'll learn how to structure your program and how to put logic problems into code.

Of course you could always go into C++, a high level language more difficult language to learn for beginners, you’re going to have to learn the basic programming skills in a more complex environment.

Your choice. If you want to go in smoothly, learn one of the basic languages and get the "basics" of computer programming. If you want to have a huge chance of getting confused with programming jump right into C++.

Also once you learn C++ you'll have the bases of almost all computer languages. JavaScript, for example, is a language I learned in about 5 minutes with my knowledge of C++, the structure is very similar.

Anyways, that’s just my 2 cents, now back to work ;).

{Edit}
Sorry, its actually Visual Basic version 5 which you can download, only thing about it you can't compile your program for distribution, but you still can run them in VB.

Heres a download link (from MS)
http://download.microsoft.com/msdownload/sbn/vbcce/vb5ccein.exe
:)
{/Edit}

mesman00

What's that...?
umm, first of all, i never said c++ wasn't a hard language to grasp, and yes, i do now how hard it really is, so if your gonna give me shit for my opinion, fuck off.

Last edited:

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
? ? ?
Shit about you opinion, where do you see that? I was just stating how I've taught people, whats with the attitude man?

Doomulation

Heh, right. Now all I need for c++ is a good book on how to convert all the types, classes and stuff mostly. And of course, some help on how to solve compile errors.

Then I'm all set :)

linker

Emutalk Member
Malcolm said:
? ? ?
Shit about you opinion, where do you see that? I was just stating how I've taught people, whats with the attitude man?

Am...

Originally posted by Doomulation
BAH! Do you know how hard c++ really is?

and...

Originally posted by mesman00
umm, first of all, i never said c++ wasn't a hard language to grasp, and yes, i do now how hard it really is, so if your gonna give me shit for my opinion, fuck off.

So, he wasn't talking to you, Mal ;)

icepir8

Each language has its strong points. VB is good at fast developement of GUI programs. C++ is very powerful, If it can't be done in C++ it probably can't be done in any language. I've done simple emulators in VB. But when I want the fastest exe speed posible or have to do anything that involves indirection I use C or C++. sometimes I use VB and C++ together. I use VB for the GUI and C++ for the DLLs or OCXs to do the work.

How long is up to you.

Doomulation

Intresting point there by icepir.
I like the GUI-making better in VB than I do in C++ ...
But it's a good point of which I've already used, heh.
Never thouht about using it this much, though.

mesman00

What's that...?
yah, sorry for any misinterpration, and i was pissed last night about something else anyway, so back to normal...

Trotterwatch

I checked for the version of VB3 on Microsofts Website last night, couldn't find it at all - so I assume the have stopped giving it away. Just read the edit Malcolm , Visual Basic 5 for free; even better!

I am interested in learning to program, what would you all recommend as a good way to start?

Any recommendations on a easy to use C++ Compiler?

Doomulation

Trotterwatch said:
I checked for the version of VB3 on Microsofts Website last night, couldn't find it at all - so I assume the have stopped giving it away. Just read the edit Malcolm , Visual Basic 5 for free; even better!

I am interested in learning to program, what would you all recommend as a good way to start?

Any recommendations on a easy to use C++ Compiler?
First off, go for VB. Download the free trial and learn to use it before buying it.

As for a c++ compiler, doh! Get MS Visual C++!