What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Mario kart reloaded

calvino

hi,

a few months ago, i discovered all those things about retexturing and i thought it was awesome

i often play Mario Kart 64 and recently decided to retexture all the maps of the game. Here is a first try for "skyscrapper", tell me what you think:

cap1bb.png

cap2b.png

cap3q.png

some of you may notice that the color of the sky (initially black) has been altered. As the sky isn't a texture but a simple color (or gradient) rendered by the plugin, i had to update its source code to do that, if you're interested in such a technique, i will be glad to tell you how to do that =]

ctatumt

Ha yup its loaded. On drugs! Ha get it...? Well anyways this is awesome to see. It's always cool to see other people ideas. Also cool to see the battle part of the game retextured. Nice work

jim0_0

That is butt stomping ugly.

There's criticism and there's constructive criticism. Unfortunately, it looks like you can't tell the difference.

I'm not surprised that acitivity on this site has dwindled to the point that some might consider it "dead". It shows the level of maturity on these boards is very low when a high post count user such as your self has nothing more to say then "That is butt stomping ugly"

Congratulations, you helped murder a decent site and probably put off a decent amateur texturer for life.

If you don't have a pole shoved so high up your egotistical ass maybe you'll learn from what I've just said.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Post count is mostly irrelevant but if it counts, I have a higher post count than he does :p

There are a couple of things I don't think look good such as the flowery patterns as I don't think they mix well with the rest, and the Yoshi on the floor looks a little stretched. You should try a more grassy floor texture as that would fit the flowers a little better.

However I gotta say I kinda like the laminate style flooring.

Don't be detered, its not like anyone can do something and instantly be a master designer with perfect layouts on everything. it takes practice and determination.

OP
C

calvino

Post count is mostly irrelevant but if it counts, I have a higher post count than he does :p

There are a couple of things I don't think look good such as the flowery patterns as I don't think they mix well with the rest, and the Yoshi on the floor looks a little stretched. You should try a more grassy floor texture as that would fit the flowers a little better.

However I gotta say I kinda like the laminate style flooring.

Don't be detered, its not like anyone can do something and instantly be a master designer with perfect layouts on everything. it takes practice and determination.

don't worry, i'm not detered at all, and i'm definitely not going to give up :king:

i actually share your point on the flowery pattern, after playing on the map in 4 player mode (which doubles/triples the speed of the game) in obscurity, i realised that it was way too bright and used to give me headaches haha! i'm currently considering replacing those with trees, which will be less agressive for the eyes

Now that i have more free time, i'm finally able to work on my project to retexture all the maps of the game ; i will of course post my progress on this board

But before doing so, i'm planning to work on altering the video plugin source code to fit my needs. One of the first limitation i wanted to get over was to be able to update the sky color, as mentionned in my first post. My current objective is to give the plugin a means to load several textures for the same "texture reference", and when applying a texture to a block, to choose a texture randomly among the set of tectures provided for this reference. I definitely think this could dramatically improve the possibilities of retexturing since it would inject some diversity in the maps, which often use a fairly limited amount of textures to represent a large part of the graphics.

If i make some interesting findings about that, i will also keep you aware of it

Thanks, by the way :party:

microdev

My current objective is to give the plugin a means to load several textures for the same "texture reference", and when applying a texture to a block, to choose a texture randomly among the set of tectures provided for this reference.
Shouldn't be too hard to do but it will occupy a lot of texture memory if it is extensively used. So, maybe you also feel the urge to add texture compression in terms of this work, as well?

OP
C

calvino

Shouldn't be too hard to do but it will occupy a lot of texture memory if it is extensively used. So, maybe you also feel the urge to add texture compression in terms of this work, as well?

once i have retextured all maps, i'm more probably going to work on something else. maybe mario kart source if the project is still alive, or my own 2d platform game.

i think that's a great video plugin we have there, but there will be less and less people playing n64 stuff, therefore I think it's kind of pointless to maintain or improve it forever. i think that's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

It would probably be a whole different story if nintendo provided a toolkit for people to build their own console game. i don't even understand why it's still not done. don't they see how much people now want to take part in the creation instead of just playing the games? imho the success of the apple store is a direct invitation to companies like nintendo or sony to open up their platform and give the average programmer the power to create new games. what do they have to lose? i just do not understand what they are thinking honestly...