What's new

Might build a new system; could use some help

Allnatural

My current system is in bad shape. Numerous memory errors before and after replacing what I assumed was bad ram. Saw a couple of blown capacitors on the mobo; figure that's failing now. Given that the whole thing is getting a bit long in the tooth anyway, I may as well rebuild. Problem is, I haven't followed the hardware scene in years, so I have no idea what offers the best bang for the buck these days. This is what I have in mind right now:

I didn't do much research. I choose these parts primarily because they're from manufacturers I trust and they fit within my budget (looking at ~$700 if I buy two HD's for RAID; everything else I need can be salvaged from my current system). To be honest, I'd rather just swap out my mobo, but socket a mobo's are getting hard to find, and finding the exact model I'm using currently has proven to be impossible (so far).

Any tips/opinions would be much appreciated.

smcd

I have the same video card and processor, does me well so far. Is it just me or has RAM dropped a huge amount lately? I paid 2/3 that price for 1GB a couple years ago.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
-CPU and mobo are good but I would personally consider an Intel Core 2 Duo instead since they outperform most current Athlon CPUs. If you still preffer an Athlon you could also take a look at some Gigabyte mobos since they are not so expensive, they perform quite good and they are very stable (no compatibility issues, no fried capacitors, etc).

-Memory brand and speed looks fine to me. :)

-About the video card... I would avoid getting a card with less than 512MB of RAM... Remember the first Nvidia's 6600GT models with 128MB of RAM? They fail to work on some newer games just because they don't have enough RAM even though they are faster than some cards with 256MB or more RAM.
I would also consider waiting until Nvidia launches some mid-end DX10 cards or I would take a look at ATi's X1xxx series if interested in DX10 games.

-The hard disk looks fast enough and it's WD... No comments here.

Tips: Be sure to purchase a quite powerful PSU (550W+), especially if you decide to use RAID and connect a lot of devices to your system.
After deciding on what stuff you're going to get, search the net for possible issues with that particular hardware before buying.

Good luck finding what suits you best.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I would suggest an Athlon64 X2. Dual core (it sure beats single core) is the future, after all, and they're not very expensive. The AM2 socket should fit the newest AMD processors to come too, I think... if I remember right, anyway, so that's good. You can't go wrong with this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103036
--> 3600+ X2. Cheaper than the other processor and Dual Core is smoother and better. 2 cores @ 1.9 GHz each instead of one @ 2.4 GHz. What's better? Dual core overclocks beter as well!
There are some more expensive dual cores, as well...
How about 4600+ (65 watt) (2.4 GHz x 2) for 125.99?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103749
That HD is very expensive considering its size. There are better alternatives I think. Now how about this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152052
--> 500 GB THG-Index 51.60. Don't know much about that, but since it's almost at the top of the list among the others, I guess it's good.

Last edited:
OP
Allnatural

Allnatural

Question about the power needs. The mobo I'm looking at has a 24-pin main socket plus an additional 4-pin socket. My current PSU has a 20-pin main connector plus a 4-pin connector. I'm assuming the 4-pin socket on the mobo won't be needed if I get a new PSU with a 24-pin main connector?

revl8er

That Damn Good
If your PSU is powerful enough now, you could always buy a 20 to 24 pin convertor. I had to purchase one for my PSU when i upgraded my system and it works fine. I'm sure you have to use the 4 pin connector still because I think it's used to power the processor, but I'm not sure.

Toasty

Sony battery
I second everything in Doom's post. AMD's X2 line has just had some significant price cuts. (Dual-core for < $90!) Even if you don't go for the 500GB hard drive, you can get a perfectly good 320GB hard drive about $35 cheaper than that retail one and save yourself some cash. (If you prefer, Seagate and Western Digital also have 320GB drives for a few bucks more.)

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Go for a Core 2 Duo system, I don't know why Doom is advising you to get a AMD CPU. Of course the new upcoming AMD architecture will be better, but buy a Core 2 Duo if you don't want to wait.

The videocard if fine, however if you wait a little bit, you can get a newer DirectX 10 model (the 8600 series or the ATI DX10 ones).

The RAM, I would get a better brand.

The hard disk us very good, no complains about it.

That's my two cents

OP
Allnatural

Allnatural

Go for a Core 2 Duo system, I don't know why Doom is advising you to get a AMD CPU.
Because the cheapest I've seen the C2D is $169. I have to work within a budget, and I don't really need the "best" of what's available right now.

Doomulation

I also have to agree here. What about Intel's next CPU? Will it fit into current sockets? AMD's next cpu will beat Intel's Core Duo and will use the same socket AFAIK. I also don't know about the watt rating, but AMD has 65 watt (and 32 watt) processors on the market. Energy costs, you know.

IIRC the motherboard usually has a slot for the 24-pin and a 4-pin to connect. At least, my does when I look at it, so you don't really have to worry about that I think...

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
mmm, I haven't watched the market lately, the AMD price / perfomance curve is better due to recent AMD CPU prices, so Doom was right.

I recommend an Asus or a Gigabyte mobo, don' got for MSI they are disappointing me lately. What are the specs of your current PSU? If the mobo has blown capacitors, you better check out your PSU to see if everything is fine...

smcd

I recommend an Asus or a Gigabyte mobo, don' got for MSI they are disappointing me lately. What are the specs of your current PSU? If the mobo has blown capacitors, you better check out your PSU to see if everything is fine...

It's kind of funny. In the past 4 years I've had 2 gigabyte boards... the first blew some caps and ruined the board and the 2nd had problems develop with the IDE channels. MSI is usually decent from my experience.

Clements

According to what I've seen so far, K8L will be backwards compatible with Socket AM2 motherboards, but you won't get HyperTransport 3.0 and some power saving features. K8L will use Socket AM2+ for these features. An AM2 board would tide you over until you can get a AM2+ board though, if its even needed.

Socket AM2 processors will also work in both AM2 and AM2+ Motherboards.

SuperSonic2K

Lord of the Flies
socket AM2's still gonna stick around for a while, but I'm just kinda fed up with AMD consistently changing platforms (e.g. Socket 754/940 -> 939 -> AM2...... to suit different memory tastes, plus the move from AGP to PCI-E I guess). Back in the good old days of Socket A we just had to worry about whether or not the motherboard would support the proper FSB (of course, the last Skt.A boards couldn't support the older Athlon's, or at least that's what the manufacturers said so).

but in any case, if you're concerned about power consumption AMD is the way to go....... intel's C2D and C2E got the rest beat, but a bit too expensive for my tastes........ even with my engineer salary my blood isn't that blue LOL

i personally have been brand-loyal to either ASUS or Gigabyte; as every board i've owned from them has had no major issues (knock on wood), but experience varies from person to person

the GF7900GS is pretty easy-going on eating power, and it still packs quite a punch, so no probs with that

About the video card... I would avoid getting a card with less than 512MB of RAM... Remember the first Nvidia's 6600GT models with 128MB of RAM? They fail to work on some newer games just because they don't have enough RAM even though they are faster than some cards with 256MB or more RAM.
I would also consider waiting until Nvidia launches some mid-end DX10 cards or I would take a look at ATi's X1xxx series if interested in DX10 games.

although i should also mention that my notebook has 128 MB of graphics RAM and i can still run most newer games without too much problem, unless there are some games unknown to me that require such an insane amount...... but in the end you can never have too much memory. also IIRC ATI's X1xxx series don't support dx10 features; they were more like a response to nvidia consistently praising dx9.0c and sm3.0. ATI's next chip (R600, X2xx series), however, will.

Last edited:

Doomulation

socket AM2's still gonna stick around for a while, but I'm just kinda fed up with AMD consistently changing platforms (e.g. Socket 754/940 -> 939 -> AM2...... to suit different memory tastes, plus the move from AGP to PCI-E I guess). Back in the good old days of Socket A we just had to worry about whether or not the motherboard would support the proper FSB (of course, the last Skt.A boards couldn't support the older Athlon's, or at least that's what the manufacturers said so).
Ah, but platforms change all the time. Same goes for Intel, too. Can't really blame AMD for that. This time, they're re-using an old socket, too, which is very nice. 'Course, you'll have to upgrade to take advantage of HT3, but that's the way with all new tech...

the GF7900GS is pretty easy-going on eating power, and it still packs quite a punch, so no probs with that
Only problem it's not a DX10 card and those are the future.

gokuss4

Meh...
Last edited:

BlueFalcon7

I recently built a rig, and wow, prices have gone down. RAM is like... so much cheaper. Maybe its because of vista. Watch the CAS, don't make the same mistake I did. I am stuck with a CAS of 5 on my RAM. Though I will say, G-Skill does make good RAM. I have seen good results.

Whatever you do with hard drives, go OEM, it will save you a load of money. Also, with CPUs, if you can get an OEM Core 2 duo, you will save quite a bit of money (though you will have to get a heatsink) I was able to save $100 by buying mine OEM. (though I defeated the purpose by getting a Zalman 9500 and some arctic silver)

As for the Graphics card, a 7900 GS overclocks like crazy. I have mine running at 600 MHz core, and the RAM at 800MHz, 1600MHz effective. Its made to run at 450 MHz core, and 660 MHz, 1320 effective. I did a 3d Mark 06 test, and thats 3960 versus 4950 (roughly, with a CPU score of 2140) Though, you might want to get a BFG tech 7900 GS, because there are some rumors that you can unlock the extra 4 pixel pipelines, because they dont laser cut them.

OP
Allnatural

Allnatural

It's done. Had to make some compromises...

• Motherboard - Decided to stay with this mobo. I've been using Epox boards for some time and I've been very happy with them, bad caps notwithstanding (a problem not limited to Epox anyway).

• Processor - Stepped up to a dual-core model, same speed.

• Memory - No, it's not the best, and I'm not happy about only using 1 GB but it's cheap and I think it'll serve me well (if the reviews are to be believed).

• Hard Drive - Only one (for now) and smaller than I had originally chosen, but it's twice the capacity of my current rig (which I have yet to fill) and it's a brand I swear by.

• Video Card - Same card. Hardly top shelf, but it's cheap and will blow the doors off my old FX 5900.

• PSU - Pretty sure I needed this. My old PSU has a 20-pin connector (the mobo requires 24-pin) and lacks PCI-e connectors. More power never hurts (the old PSU is 400 watts) and the modular design will reduce clutter.

$650 shipped. Not the best, but it fits my budget and it'll give my current system a good shellacking. :)

Doomulation

250 GB HD? That's... so small. I have bigger ones, which I got a year or two back, or even earlier... at least one of them. And to my knowledge, they cost around what you paid for that one. I'm thinking you got screwed on your HD there...