What's new

360 controller question

mattg568

Do you still have to use the seperate XBCD/360 patch to get the rumble to work or has the all in one installer been updated?

Also, does anyone here still have the 2.00a version of that N-Rage plugin laying around? The 2.00b version gives me errors when I try to use it.

Legend

Install the full XBCD 0.2.5 driver and then after, take the "system file" from the 0.2.1 package and place in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers. Now you should have rumble using the Nrage plugins (2.1 should be out soon). At least this was the way I finally got it to work-you won't have the light change when switching profiles though anymore but that's the only drawback. I have a Madcatz 360 controller, so I wonder if there's a difference?

I think what's attached here is the first 2.00.

OP
M

mattg568

How is the Madcatz 360 controller compared to the Microsoft version? Is it cheaper?

Also, don't you still have to install XBCD 1.07?

Legend

Attached is all I used (i believe). I think it's everything lumped together-let me know if not.

I bought the Madcatz because it tied the Microsoft one in reviews. However, it's coverered in rubber, smaller, cheaper, has more precise analogue sticks, no nipples on sticks, MUCH better D-pad, flat buttons on front (instead of rounded), and of course the sweetest feature: TURBO!!! It also comes in a normal sized model but the small one is cool!:matrix:

OP
M

mattg568

I do believe that file you posted is the full install version of the XBCD drivers. I remember using that and the rumble would not work in PJ64. Someone here told me that that was a bug in the full installer. That same person told me to instead use the seperate XBCD1.07 installer and the 360 patcher. Only then would the rumble work in PJ64.

I think these two files are the ones I used. One is the XBCD 1.07 installer and the other is the 360 patcher.

Legend

Yeah, the full installer was broke for awhile but they fixed it recently and I do have this new, fixed version. But it still doesn't give me rumble on Nrage.

I tried your 2 files and followed Squall's instructions from your thread months ago, but it just does'nt work for me. It might be because I'm not using a Microsoft controller. The ONLY way I get rumble is to place the older 0.2.1 sys file in the drivers folder. The second I do, boom, rumble in Nrage again. It sounds like you and Squall and many others can use the 0.2.5 sys file just fine but for me, it just doesn't give me rumble. Oh well...

rabiddeity

Plugin Hacker
Also, does anyone here still have the 2.00a version of that N-Rage plugin laying around? The 2.00b version gives me errors when I try to use it.

Sorry for the late reply. I'm sorry about the bugs in 2.00b, I'm releasing a new version soon to fix those bugs. 2.00a is still hosted on my site if you want it. Here's the link: http://www.randomwisdom.com/files/NRage_DInput8_V2_2.00a.zip

Of course if you're brave, you can try the DEBUG version. It shouldn't crash, but at least if it does I can probably fix it within a few days.

OP
M

mattg568

@ Legend

Yeah, I was using the official Microsoft 360 controller. But still, these 3rd party 360 controllers are supposed to be compatible with the XBCD drivers as I've heard.

@ rabiddeity

Thanks for the file. That was the version I was looking for.

Legend

Thanks rabiddeity, I'll give this one a shot.

I got my two at Gamestop. One is a Madcatz and the other is a Madcatz packaged by Gamestop (so it has their branding), but exactly the same thing. So either one will work just fine for you.

OP
M

mattg568

I just happen to have a Gamestop close to me. It is not in a mall but in a shopping center. It's in the same shopping center as the local Wal-Mart supercenter. Also there is an HHGregg there too.

I hope this new XBCD_XP file that squall posted works for Legend's Madcatz controller.

Legend

Me too I think...I mean if the 2 seperate files don't work for me than I'm not sure the *new* full package will either. Again, the only difference in using the old sys file is that the lights don't change position when switching an XBCD profile. So no biggie really...the profile still switches fine-you just don't have a visual representation of that.

ALL my games rumble just fine with the exception of LA RUSH and Colin McRae Rally which I think is a universal driver issue, as it happens on all versions.

And to be clear, when I use the new sys file, all my games rumble, just not for Nrage, that's the only exception. But I gotta have my N64 rumble. That's why I go back to the slightly older one (dated Jan06 instead of the new Feb06).

And Squall, when I say 'sys file", I mean the driver itself. When you click on it, it says its a system file, so sorry if that was confusing. It goes in the System32/Drivers folder, so I guess I should be saying the "driver" file itself.

And Matt, thanks to the packaging, you can hold the controller before you buy it and make sure you do because I like the smaller one but I can see for people with bigger hands, it might not be that good. In which case, the normal Madcatz would be fine. I mean, for like 25$ its a awesome deal. Beats the CRAP out of any other PC controller-plus it also comes in BLACK!!

And Squall, real fast, when your PC goes to standby and then wakes up, do your Guide lights blink until you restart comp. Because mine does for ALL the driver versions. This might just be another sign that the Madcatz behave a little different than the Microsoft ones. But again, it's still no biggie.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
i don't have a 360 controller Legend, just an Stype

but i can nab one from a friend its just a matter of finding one with a 360... lol

honestly, there should be no difference between the 2 controls

that flashing indicates that the Device isn't reinitialisting after power down,... its an issue with the usb driver (which the xbcd driver partially is)

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
you'd best get on over to the xbcd forums.... and we should try getting rabiddiety over there, his experties with dinput could help fix it. and get the wireless controller working

Legend

Ok rabiddeity, that exe is the one I already have. I can't compare the timestamps but their identical size and I did get mine recently.

Using it, when I open up Nrage, it sees the XBCD controller fine but just no rumble. When I go in-game, no rumble EXCEPT every once in a while it will rumble for a couple seconds then stop and not rumble. So intermittently, I do get rumble but definetly not consistantly. So I don't know if that sounds like a driver issue or a Nrage issue but it is weird. Again, I get rumble with all my other apps using this exe just not Nrage. I might have to go on the redcloud forums and ask about this and the "reinitialization" blinky thing.