What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

How do you extract textures?

Terranigma

Go to the plugin and check the "dump textures" box. I believe that option is in the textures tab in Rice Video.

Cabbage

(The instructions I made was from the use of PJ64, however they are very similair to the instructions for the 1964)

Make sure your current plugin is "Rice's Video Plugin 6.1.1 beat 10."

Go to "Configure Graphics Pugin..."

In the "General Options" tab, uncheck "Hide Advanced Options."
In the "Texture Filters" tab, check "Dump textures to files."
Click "OK."

Play game.
The game might become a bit slower. The textures will be added to a folder when the textures on-screen are shown. Trying to recieve all textures in the game would take awhile.

Close down the Emulator/Program.

Go to:

My Computer >> Local Disk (C:) >> Program Files >> Project 64 1.6 >> Plugin >> texture_dump >> [The name of the game you dumped the texures in]

The textures would be there, which could be used for re-texturing.

Last edited:

ChrisBosh

I'm getting textures but its a lot of small images/icons no images of actual game screens.

Also is there a way to extract videos?

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
ChrisBosh said:
I'm getting textures but its a lot of small images/icons no images of actual game screens.
What do you mean by "actual game screens"? By the looks of it, you got just what you were supposed to get.

And perhaps you've completely misunderstood the definition of textures.

ChrisBosh

Agozer said:
What do you mean by "actual game screens"? By the looks of it, you got just what you were supposed to get.

And perhaps you've completely misunderstood the definition of textures.

I thought i was supposed to get actual game screens and everything? should not i get some recognizeble game images?

example : http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=26846

First post he has actual images of game screens, is there a different process for changing game screens itself?
:unsure:

Agozer

What you see in those screenshots are actual game screen after somebody has reworked the original textures to look better.

Textures are 2D images that cover the surfaces of 3D models and primitives in a 3D world. When you get a texture dump with Rice's video plugin, what you get is a truckload of 2D images (textures). It's your job to alter these textures, and the next time Rice's plugin loads these textures you'll see the changes you made. Hopefully.

Many games contain hundreds if not thousands of textures and retexturing entire games takes considerable time and effort.

Last edited:

ChrisBosh

Agozer said:
What you see in those screenshots are actual game screen after somebody has reworked the original textures to look better.

Textures and 2D images that cover the surfaces of 3D models and primitives in a 3D world. When you get a texture dump with Rice's video plugin, what you get is a truckload of 2D images (textures). It's your job to alter these textures, and the next time Rice's plugin loads these textures you'll see the changes you made. Hopefully.

Many games contain hundreds if not thousands of textures and retexturing andentire games takes considerable time and effort.

I see. One more question...when the game is starting and it gives you that first 2-3 screens with the company that made it ect ...is that usually done using a video file?

It seems that is a video because i get no textures that resemble those first few screens.

Is there a way to change it/extract it?

Iconoclast

N64 games don't have videos in them, internally. The graphics of a game are mostly just polygons and the textures that wrap around them for multicoloring effects. The textures either do not appear because the option has to be turned on before the game loads them or the part of the game has naked polygons in it that don't use textures. For example, the Super Mario 64 "it's a me, Mario!" screen uses no textures except for the wooden image wrapped around the Super Mario 64 text. The coloration of the text is not dependent of any textures, and the actual text is, per character, solidly colored polygons.

Agozer

Depends on what kind of graphics is in question. Certain graphics aren't treated as textures, but it doesn't necessarily mean that these parts are videos either. For example, some of the backdrops in Zelda: OoT (like the backdrop of part of the Hyrule Town Square where you can see the Temple of Time) aren't treated as conventional textures, but bitmaps (I think). Hence why you can't dump and edit them.

You can actually tell the differene between a video and computer graphics quite easily by looking at the possible graphical artifacts shown on the screen. I don't know how many N64 games use full motion video, though.

Last edited:

ChrisBosh

So if i have this at the start of the game

my.php

How would i go about changing it? Would that be an actual text in the game ?

Or can i just block out first 5 seconds of the rom?

Heh..i'd pay if someone can do this for me or show me how to do that?

send me a pm

Last edited:

Mollymutt

The screen you showed is probably made up of very thin textures that you have to put together to make out what it is. Maybe something like this.

ChrisBosh

how do i save changes that i made? i made some changes to the textures and when i run them i see those changes but if i take that rom file to a different comptuer it is still looks the same as the original?

Agozer

Rice's plugin loads *external* textures. Meaning that the textures are loaded from the files you have on you hard disk, not from the rom file. So if you want to use those textures and the game on another computer, you need to transfer both the ROM and the textures.

ChrisBosh

Agozer said:
Rice's plugin loads *external* textures. Meaning that the textures are loaded from the files you have on you hard disk, not from the rom file. So if you want to use those textures and the game on another computer, you need to transfer both the ROM and the textures.

is there a way to save the changes to the original ROM?