What's new

Mortal Kombat 4 graphics problems

Likwid_Nitrogen

All the 2d graphics on the screen such as the health, and the pause menu are missing in-match, unless transforms are set to internal, and then they appear, but the 3d graphics go a little crazy. Playable, but the backgrounds get really messed up. As far as I know, this isn't a "known issue", as I've read through just about everything on the front page of here the last couple days for different reasons, and haven't seen MK4 mentioned. Its also not in the PJgameFAQ. Anybody have a suggestion?

Allnatural

It's a problem with your hardware and/or drivers. It's been suggested that the issue is unique to ATi cards, but I have the same problems with my GF3. I'm still trying to figure out whats causing it.

Allnatural

Ogy said:
sounds like a bad rom to me...
I don't think so. He's probably having the same problems I am, and I know my rom is good.:p Besides, it's not just this game. I'm still trying to pinpoint the cause.

OP
L

Likwid_Nitrogen

I guess I should say I'm running a gf3 ti200, and I can't remember my driver number right now, it's the most popular unofficial driver currently I think. 27.xx i think.

sxxxe83

Allnatural said:

I don't think so. He's probably having the same problems I am, and I know my rom is good.:p Besides, it's not just this game. I'm still trying to pinpoint the cause.

If this is a problem with your GF3 card, have you ever tried to update your card`s bios??, I flashed my GF3 bios, and to my MSI motherboard since I had troubles with my GF3, and some games and so on...

sXe

Allnatural

Likwid_Nitrogen said:
I guess I should say I'm running a gf3 ti200, and I can't remember my driver number right now, it's the most popular unofficial driver currently I think. 27.xx i think.
What motherboard are you using? More specifically, which chipset does your motherboard use?

Allnatural

sxxxe83 said:
via chipset offcourse..

MSI KT72 Turbo (or was it K7T2 Turbo)..
I was asking Likwid_Nitrogen actually, but this could be helpfull too. Have you ever had graphics problems with games like MK4 (see screenshot), JFG, or DKR? This problem is present in these and some other games requiring the internal pipeline.
I have a sneaking suspision this is related to the mobo chipset.

OP
L

Likwid_Nitrogen

I'm running an Asus A7V, via KT133 chipset. I basically have the latest mobo bios (the next update didnt do much, wouldnt affect this). I believe I have the latest 4 in 1 chipset drivers, I'll check. I don't believe I've had graphical problems with JFG or DK64. If I did, I didn't notice anything as obvious as total lack of status bars, etc. Yes, that screenshot is what it looks like with internal. Is the game supposed to be run with internal pipeline, just on most ppls computers the graphics defects aren't there, or is it regular on external normally?

Allnatural

MK4 like many others is supposed to be run on the internal pipe. For some reason, some people, like you and I, have problems with the internal pipe. I can't seem to find a common hardware link between the people that have this problem.???:plain2: Checking "Force Depth Enable" fixes the bad graphics in these games, but at the cost of losing some important things like the health bars in MK4.

By the way, this is the problem you may see with JFG:

Remote

Quick q: Are you using the DirectX 6 or DirectX 7(HW T&L) port. If I remeber correctly NRage posted a couple of pics similar to that one during the bets testing phase, also I think the problem was pinned down to AMD... But don't take my word for it...

Allnatural

It doesn't matter which I use, the problem is the same.

The problem was thought to be ATi specific at first; I don't remember reading about an AMD link.

OP
L

Likwid_Nitrogen

Okay, I get the same messed up screen as posted above when running JFG on internal pipeline, without force depth enabled. With it enabled, I can find nothing wrong with the graphics. Are there graphics problems I'm not catching or don't see at the beginning of the game with force depth enabled? Still havent checked DK64.

Allnatural

Likwid_Nitrogen said:
Okay, I get the same messed up screen as posted above when running JFG on internal pipeline, without force depth enabled. With it enabled, I can find nothing wrong with the graphics. Are there graphics problems I'm not catching or don't see at the beginning of the game with force depth enabled? Still havent checked DK64.
The problem here is that we shouldn't have to use force depth enable to fix these problems. The setting was put in to fix an issue with the Zelda games if I remember correctly. Other games should still look fine with it off.

By the way, the other game I was refering to was Diddy Kong Racing, not DK64.:p

OP
L

Likwid_Nitrogen

Ah hehe. Hmm, the only problem I see in DDR with internal pipeline is the sky, which I think is a universal problem, fixed by force depth enable.

Allnatural

Likwid_Nitrogen said:
Ah hehe. Hmm, the only problem I see in DDR with internal pipeline is the sky, which I think is a universal problem, fixed by force depth enable.
I'm not sure that it's a universal problem.

What we really need here is input from others, to figure out what specific systems are affected.