What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

I'm interested in learning to make my own Hi-Res textures.

Terranigma

I want to try my hand at this retexturing thing, but to be quite honest, I don't know where to start. If I'm not mistaken, Harvest Moon 64 really shouldn't be that big of a game. The world of HM64 is 1/100th the size of Zelda. And I just love Harvest Moon.

First of all, I suck at photoshop. No, scratch that, I don't suck, I don't even know how to use PS--besides a few basic functions. I sure as heck wouldn't mind a quick crash course from the experts here on how to use Photoshop. I'm not going to be too ambitious and create brand new ones. I just want to get the hang of taking the original texture and increasing it's resolution. If you guys can provide me with some helpful lessons though, I'm sure I will be able to make brand new textures.

I know I need to dump textures with Rice Video plugin, but is it as simple as that? Is dumping textures just a one push of a button kind of thing?

Really, how much computer/hacking skills is required to do this? Or is it really just as simple as dumping the textures and then photoshoping them? What kind of tools do I need besides a picture editing tool?

The Dave

You should pick up photoshop just to learn it. If you know nothing about it or any other image editing programs, then you really aren't fit to go out and try to make your own pack (people who can use these tools have trouble completing packs). I've been using photoshop for around 5 years and am still learning new little tricks everyday.

Your best bet is to try and help someone out. And it is a matter of ripping texture, increasing it by 4x, re-making it, and putting it in the hi-res folder.

OP
T

Terranigma

Well, it wouldn't hurt to try messing around with it. How about let's start with dumping textures? I tried the Debug version of Rice Video and clicked on the dump button and got these weird little bitmap files. They don't even look like the game's textures. Just a few dots.

The Dave

Don't use the debug version. Also those might be effects or layovers or who knows, there are a lot of textures in games you don't realize because they are just screen overed the game (like dust or lens flares).

Vanit

Heh, remember that guy that retextured all of OoT in MS Paint? Now that was sad.

But yeh, what Dave said, google a few tutorials and see what you can learn. If it helps, I remake textures by opening the old one, increasing the size to size I want to make, and then I make the new texture over the top on a new layer so it immitates the bottom one.

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
Vanit said:
Heh, remember that guy that retextured all of OoT in MS Paint? Now that was sad.
I have to agree with you on that one..It was a brave attempt, but it sucked:p

tailslol

hi it will be cool to explain all the name and folder because i have dump all f-zero x textures, they are in some folder, i dont know what the name mean...
i have treached and redraw some but they dont load... please post a full tutorial XD

OP
T

Terranigma

My textures aren't even dumped inmto a folder, they were just shoved into the C drive of my computer.