What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Need help how to make good High-res textures.

Gameboy5

I have Photoshop, but I need help how to make my High-resolution textures to look good.

It got like this with one texture:
GOLDENEYE-31.png

Anchel

The Xpaniard
Rule number one: Practice makes perfection
Besides that, I haven't tried any retexturing yet, but I think you need to use a higher resolution in your textures

Mollymutt

For the wood texture, you need to make the right and left sides match up, so it looks seamless when it's ingame. I would put a black outline around the whole thing to make it look like different boards.

Kerber2k

I found a easy way to make a realistic wood is render clouds then render fibers....use gradient map to mess with colors or hues and saturations for tweaking.

Vanit

Actually, I found a clever way to make a wood effect. I'm not at home right now so I'm using an image I took from my Goemon thread as example. See the wood effect as the background of the interface at the bottom? I made that by just making a dark brown layer take up the whole area. Then on the layer above that I scribbled a lot of random orange lines (horizontally). Then I used a motion blur horizontally to spread them out. And after that I used the burn and dodge effects to add the shadows. Clever ey? :)

El Kameleon

looking good, i love goemon, but this wasnt my favorite game, i like mystical ninja better, but may i ask what type of look are you going for? there seems to be 3 different looks people go for, realistic, restoration, and cel shaded.

Googol

Give me back my floppy face!
The problem seems to be that he's keeping it at the original 1x resolution. You need to resize it to be 2x,3x or 4x for it to be at a higher resolution. If you're sure that you have done that, try using a bit of motion blur (just a bit), or just use smaller lines.

KMan

The Wu Tang Master
Photoshop filters are the devil!! How about using some actual photos of wood, and combining them in different ways to make wood? It definitly makes the wood look more like wood, no?

cloudscapes

Carbon-based molecule.
If you can paint/draw at least a bit, yo ucan learn to use the smudge tool to yoru advantage.

I do this a lot:

1. Scale the texture tiems two or four with nearest neighbor filtering.
2. Apply the median filter to it.
3. Use the smudge tool to literally smear and fingerpaint (although I dont use the actual "fingerpaint" option) the basic shapes and details of the texture.
4. Use dodge and burn to add subtle shadows and highlites.

A graphics tablet REALLY helps, I'd say it's almost essential for good organic work.

Vanit

If I want to improve the res of an image I use it as a referrence and on another few layers above it I redraw it while making improvements.

As I said in another thread, any graphics artist worth their beans uses photoshop :).

Frostbitex12

i usally resize it to 128x128 (i've only used 64 and lower res textures thps2 =p)
in photoshop copy it make the copy grey and apply a dudv map add some after effects
and
compare4qr.png

doesn't look that good but it does in game though cant get any ingame shots yet my video settings messed up on reboot =\

btw: can n64 emu handle bumpmapping (if it is ever an option =\)?

Last edited:
OP
G

Gameboy5

(im sorry for I haven't replied in a very long time..)

Thanks all, but unfortunatly.. my comp is to slow for playing GE with Rice's plugin without to much lag..

HiReZ92

After you make the texture and put it in the hi res folder, do you name it after the file you want to replace in the dumped texture folder? And does your new texture have to be identical to the original texture?