What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

sound replacements in roms

talker

I think that's impossible!
Anyway, why would you do that?`
Listen to Eminem instead of listing to theSuperMario64 Theme in the game?

minkster

Actually, they do have these cool Mario remixes around the net...so it would be really cool if sound replacement was possible.

minkster

Well, If a winamp plugin can rip textures from an N64 game, I'm sure some day (it may be complicated to put together) someone may make a sound plugin, or program with this capability. At least I hope so :p

Archnemon

The music format of N64 Games is similar to midi system, so we cannot replace them with mp3s sound.We only can extract "wav" sound, for FX sound or voices, or music in native N64 music system.Think that N64 cartridges have less than 32mb capacity (except Conker and RE2...), so games have only syntetized music...

DeathFox007

Archnemon said:
The music format of N64 Games is similar to midi system, so we cannot replace them with mp3s sound.We only can extract "wav" sound, for FX sound or voices, or music in native N64 music system.Think that N64 cartridges have less than 32mb capacity (except Conker and RE2...), so games have only syntetized music...

And then how come the rice video plugin was able to extract/import .PNG files from roms w/c is not native to the roms.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
He's right. Most games use synthesized audio very similar to MIDI (a small instruction file, and the hardware actually does the instrumental bits itself). Replacement isn't really possible.

CBFD however actually uses MP3 samples.

Krackpipe

I guess that could be done in the sound plugin ...... play a higher quality sound when the ROM calls a note to be played.

But to change the sounds in a ROM, that would require some assembly hacking to find out how the n64 midi format works.

DeathFox007

What the hell are you people talking about? IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO REPLACE sounds in the rom. The only thing a plugin can do is when the sound is playing, it gets muted and it automatically plays the sound that the user prefers. In short it just filters the sound.

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
Never heard of N64 games that used MP3s. Huh, I find that a little hard to believe that they could put MP3 samples on cartridges. But then again, Nintendo DS cartridges (or "cards") can have MP3s on them as well.

Jesterhead

look at the starting screens on the above mentioned games, there is the copyright blablabla of the Fraunhofer Institute :))

Googol

Give me back my floppy face!
DeathFox007 said:
What the hell are you people talking about? IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO REPLACE sounds in the rom. The only thing a plugin can do is when the sound is playing, it gets muted and it automatically plays the sound that the user prefers. In short it just filters the sound.
No, it's not. I remember way back when I was still into the whole Sonic Hacking scene, I used to replace some of the sounds in that - like that "SEGA" chorus at the start. Since hacking a Megadrive cartridge isn't all too different from hacking an N64 cartridge, it could definately be done.
However, there's not much chance of being able to replace the MIDI-esque system used in 99% of cartridges for music with MP3's or similar. It's possible, but it'd require some damn fancy hacking/plugin work, and would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

DeathFox007

Thats the old fashioned way of hacking. But if some1 makes the sound plugin w/ the same principles as rice's plugin.

i.e. dumps the music, then tags it, then when its needed to be played the new music will be played instead of the old one.