What's new

Zelda: Majora's Mask troubles

LeAmma

Every time I put on the Gorgon's Mask I get this:
with Jabo's direct 3d 8 1.6 put on Goron mask
While processing graphics data an exception occured you may need to restart the emulator.

with Video (graphics plugin) Jabo's Direct 3D 6 1.5.2
Error
Eip: 0x1001611E
EAX; 0X00B2D0A0 EBX; 0X00000028 ECX 0X1007B380 EDX; 0X0000001
ESI 0X0000001E EDI; 0X00B5D0A0 ESP; 0X02C0FBC4 EBP; 0X0000001E
Virtual Address; 0x00000001
Within DRAM? nope
Rom Image ZELDA MAJORA'S MASK
rDP PC; 0X00673BF8 (data: 0532383C00000000)
You may be able to continue, but it is recommended you close this program.

The Project 64 log says: [4/26/2005 10:28:18 AM] Failed to create device code = 8876086C

I've restarted the game twice, have reinstalled project 64, have defraged, disk clean up, virus check, spy ware check, everything I can think of and no go.

Is it the game that's messed or something wrong with the emu? How do I fix it?
:bunny:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i don't think we tested that. "we" hah. i wasn't around. but i don't have any of those to test anyway.. it's bad it crashes but, that's a really bad graphics card. can you get something better? even a budget radeon or geforce would be a huge improvement.

maybe someone will have a more useful/specific suggestion.

Failed to create device code = 8876086C
i can't remember what that means..

does it happen after you do an ingame save, reset the rom and load through the game menu?

does it happen if you set the core to protect memory, reset the rom and reload?

have you updated your video drivers to the latest ones?
have you tried using a much older video plugin e.g. 1.2 - 1.4?
added: get these by installing an older pj64 and copying the .dlls to your v1.6 plugin dir.

Last edited:
OP
L

LeAmma

nah, gonna replace this puter in a year or so, so ain't gonna worry about doing anything to it.
The game messes up from save state and from native saves.
How do you Protect core memory?
I've tried messing with the properties on the project 64 but no go.
Vid drivers are current, entire puter is, I keep it updated.
nope haven't tried older, how would I regress the vid to older version?
No worries, think I'll just NOT finish MM. It's so fustrating.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
sorry to hear that.. we don't think it's ok to crash, and clearly it works well enough for you to get some way.. so it should work, even if it looks bad.

i would like to know if there's a crash issue for that video card or if it's something else causing it, i don't know how to find out. probably Jabo would need to answer that one. anyone have an S3 Graphics Pro Savage DDR that they've used PJ64 on?

if you can be bothered i would like you to try old video plugins, and different ones like Rice's, Glide64 with wrapper, and whatever else is good now (Direct64?) to see if that crash (or a crash, it won't look the same) still happens.

Last edited:

RadeonUser

Hmm I just a quick look-up of this error, but I cant give you a solid response... Could you try installing the latest official drivers for your video card and directx? I am aware that you said they were up to date but a file may have become corrupt and is causing this problem.

On another note is the rom a good rom? (verified with GoodN64) It could be a possiblity a bad rom is causing the error... I'm not sure if a bad rom would cause the problem but its always good to check to make sure its not a silly problem like using a bad rom.

The bottom line is... it *shouldnt* crash it may look ugly but it shouldnt crash. If it does crash though then the drivers may be misreporting features that the plugin may be wanting to use... or DirectX is corrupt / not installed properly.

DJRobX

I got the same sort of crash playing MM on v1.6 using Direct3d8. I'm using a NVidia GeForce FX5700. It had just turned midnight on th first night, getting ready to enter the clock tower. Same "Procesing graphics" data message, but I didn't see the rest of the info. There's nothing in the Direct3D8 Error file in logs. My ROM is verified good. I haven't tried it again to see if it repeats the same way each time.

Last edited:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yeah this is not good. i suspect a core, self mod. code method problem, not a video plugin problem at all. could both of you change this to Protect Memory (options > settings > ROM settings), reset the rom and load from a native save (not a state) and play like that, please.

ArgJuli

Argentine emutalk-tennisplayer
I have a S3 Prosavage DDR too......P4 256MB ram....Project64v1.6 and Jabo's Direct8 1.6 that is the only plugin that I have no errors.....but the extra videos (like when Link put himself the Goron's Mask is missed or other mask-Zora's, Deku's).......with that plugin LeAmma you should play....don't prove others because it's the same (you will have many errors) the speed is around 29-48 fps....and you should thanks...Bye!!

RadeonUser

Smiff said:
yeah this is not good. i suspect a core, self mod. code method problem, not a video plugin problem at all. could both of you change this to Protect Memory (options > settings > ROM settings), reset the rom and load from a native save (not a state) and play like that, please.

You dont know this since you've been away... but the only non Radeon cards that were tested was Pixii's Geforce 2 (and that was briefly mind you)** and Jabo's Geforce FX 5200 (which he rarely uses / tests things on). So... There's this huge gap of a support base there. Radeon 8500 and higher was tested almost exclusively (that's all we have).

A few bugs were fixed last minute for the April Fools release as well... and that usually means a bug or two might've accidentally slipped while 'fixing' something else.

The core hasnt changed much so there *shouldnt* be any outstanding errors to worry about core-wise... Still, Smiff's advice is sound and should be tried.

Anyone who has a similar reproduceable problem in Zelda MM is welcome to post here in order to help us get a deeper understanding of the problem and hopefully help you fix it.

Edit / Note:
** Clarification: Some Pre-Geforce 3 cards are on a special Geforce only path Jabo coded due to their lack of certain features. The problem is... You may have a card that's not on his list.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Smiff said:
Failed to create device code = 8876086C
i can't remember what that means..
That's D3DERR_INVALIDCALL. Or in other words, an invalid parameter was passed to the function that creates a d3d device. Can be almost anything though...

Smiff

Emutalk Member
RadeonUser said:
You dont know this since you've been away... but the only non Radeon cards that were tested was Pixii's Geforce 2 (and that was briefly mind you) and Jabo's Geforce FX 5200 (which he rarely uses / tests things on). So... There's this huge gap of a support base there. Radeon 8500 and higher was tested almost exclusively (that's all we have).

oh dear. i would have been testing GF3 and probably GF1 if Jabo still cared. I can't blame anyone else but me for this. btw i do now have a radeon (9550), but in my htpc, i still have the GF3 in my main machine. i hope you didn't *want* to drop support for ps 1.1? the GF3/4 was a good, very good PJ64 card, i hope it still is. anyway this is really off topic. i'll have to talk about this privately with you all.

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

It was tested earlier on a GF3 too (when I was in England). It worked fine at that juncture (was over a year back though; as far as I can recollect).

Jabo

Emulator Developer
I think the bottom line is if there is a significant problem and someone on the team can reproduce it with semi-modern day hardware it will almost definitely get fixed (random crashes, init problems, etc)

I think the hardest thing we face, and will always face, as a project is the extreme amount of diverse hardware and the massive amount of games and all the random code/effects in them

and ya we definitely need to sit down in the near future and hammer out some stuff smiff

MORTALMAN

Gameplayer...
I have a proSavageDRR... and i get good results with that game... i finished without any trouble... Glide+eVoodoo work ok with this card...

The_hero_fire

Smiff said:
i got a savage DDR to with the same prob so i did what you said now i cant even boot the ROM as it comes up with the same error :paperbag: :bye3:

Bale

Similar Problem

Video:Jabo's Direct3d8 1.6
Audio: Jabo's DIrectsound 1.6
Input plugin: Jabo's DirectInput7 1.6
Graphics: ATI Rage 128 Pro

Bale

Similar Problem

I have the same problem as the originator of this thread, I put on the goron's mask and I get the same error, these are my specs, I was wondering if you could tell me what the problem is, I am using project64v1.6

Video:Jabo's Direct3d8 1.6
Audio: Jabo's DIrectsound 1.6
Input plugin: Jabo's DirectInput7 1.6
Graphics: ATI Rage 128 Pro

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yeah i think this is a video plugin problem (so ignore that protect memory suggestion sorry), BUT the S3 Pro Savage and ATI Rage128 are below what we want to support really.. good luck with other plugins is all i can say :/ there is no way for Jabo to make pj look good on these cards so there's not much motivation to work on them. also, none of us have them.