What's new

Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Teleport to Desktop (help plz)

Eagle

aka Alshain
Those of you who know me know that I'm an old veteran with PJ64. I used to moderate this forum and was succeeded by The Gentleman and his team in the development of the PJ64 Cheat File (who are doing an excellent job I might add).

However, even veterans have problems that they just cant solve on their own. Its been a while since I last used PJ64 but Ive had this overwhelming urge to play Ocarina of Time lately and I downloaded 1.5 and SP1 and all that jazz. My problem is that completely randomly the application just fails. No error messages, not blue screens, just one minute I'm playing the game and the next I'm staring at a desktop. It happens too frequently to adequately play the game and just save periodically. I reached into my brain and dug back up all the knowledge that I once had and have yet to solve this problem. I dont believe this to be a rom specific crash (ie it would happen with any game). I have no problems with other games. Naturally Ive tried all the basics such as desktop resolutions and driver updates and all that stuff I used to tell people to do all the time. I'm really stuck on this one guys, any help would be appreciated.

Remote

Try it without SP1, dunno if it changes any settings though for zelda oot... 1.4 with 1.5 gpu plugin could be worth a test also, afaik there are 3 [!] roms, 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2. Go for 1.0.

Good luck mate ;)

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Actally I tried it without SP1 before I realized there was an SP1, also Ive been using 1.0 cause all the stupid changes in 1.1 and 1.2 are well... stupid.

Remote

Yup, not sure how much that changed but 1.0 is as they intended it to be... Perhaps a walk over to the dark side, read 1964... ;) Could be anything that's getting between the geers if you did all the obvious stuff...

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Remote said:
Perhaps a walk over to the dark side, read 1964... ;)

NEVER!!!!!!!!!

Legal Blurb
This comment was in no way intended to demean or slandarize the performance, functionality, or design of the 1964 emulator, its creators, or its user base. It was merely a joke, due respect should be given to 1964 for its excellent service to the emulation community.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Anyway, so Ive updated all my drivers and I tried other lesser screen resolutions to no avail. Is there any of the basics that Ive missed?

Smiff

Emutalk Member
hey eagle man, i don't think i've ever heard anyone complain of this? sorry this isn't helpful but you deserve a reply :) if i think of anything i'll let you know. what happens if you use all non-Jabo plugins? i wonder - don't get angry - if there's something wrong with your system? btw, "stupid changes"? :huh: n/m :unsure:

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
no, not stupid changes in PJ64, I'm talking about the stupid changes in Zelda versions. Like green blood for example.

There could be something wrong with my system, but I dont have the slightest clue what that would be, its a fairly new installation of Windows, I have no problems with other D3D games.

Clements

Are you using nVidia's Forceware drivers? They screwed Jabo's framebuffer up completely on my comp, so are likely to cause other major problems (perhaps even this crashing) if you have these installed. If you have, try reverting to the 4x.xx (latest one's before Forceware).

Also, delete Jabo's D3D6 1.5 if it still lingers in your plugin directory. It caused PJ64 to crash for me (although not like you described). Use the fixed 1.5.1 version only instead.

The different versions of the cart'll make no difference.

Matata

Novato Experimentado
Clements said:
Are you using nVidia's Forceware drivers? They screwed Jabo's framebuffer up completely on my comp, so are likely to cause other major problems (perhaps even this crashing) if you have these installed. If you have, try reverting to the 4x.xx (latest one's before Forceware).

So this is my problem!!!!!!!! I´m using these drivers and it happens the same to me! How can I get back to the last installed drivers in my PC?????

Clements

Matata said:
So this is my problem!!!!!!!! I´m using these drivers and it happens the same to me! How can I get back to the last installed drivers in my PC?????

Even though you can roll back drivers with some success, I'd completely uninstall the Forcewares (so you are driverless :p), then, I'd install the pre-forceware drivers from scratch. This will ensure no errors in installation.

I don't know which is the latest driver that works with Jabo's FB yet, but I know that the pre-Forcewares work. Forceware drivers actually decrease performance on non-FX cards anyway (or so I'm reliably informed from Ti/MX users on Ngemu!)

It seems with the Forceware drivers, for me Jabo's FB does not work at all (even reinstalled the emu like five times!). glN64()'s FB still works though. Odd, must use completely different methods to do the FB.

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Clements said:
Even though you can roll back drivers with some success, I'd completely uninstall the Forcewares (so you are driverless :p), then, I'd install the pre-forceware drivers from scratch. This will ensure no errors in installation.

I don't know which is the latest driver that works with Jabo's FB yet, but I know that the pre-Forcewares work. Forceware drivers actually decrease performance on non-FX cards anyway (or so I'm reliably informed from Ti/MX users on Ngemu!)

It seems with the Forceware drivers, for me Jabo's FB does not work at all (even reinstalled the emu like five times!). glN64()'s FB still works though. Odd, must use completely different methods to do the FB.

Actually the last stable version of Nvidia's drivers with Windows XP were the 30.82 drivers, anything after that causes XP to boot slower than Windows 98 on a 486 machine so those are the drivers I use.

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Matata said:
But being friverless doesn´t generate any erros at all?

No, actually this doesnt work, if your driverless, it will seek out the drivers that you uninstalled (and still remain on the system) and just reinstall them anyway. You really cant uninstall Nvidia's drivers without a special program like Detonator Destroyer (which doesnt work on the NT kernel). I suppose however you could try to force the drivers into Standard VGA and then uninstall the Nvidia's, that would probably work but the drivers will still remain on the system even if they arent installed. When you install the older version they will be overwritten though.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Eagle said:
Actually the last stable version of Nvidia's drivers with Windows XP were the 30.82 drivers, anything after that causes XP to boot slower than Windows 98 on a 486 machine so those are the drivers I use.
Well my my, xp boots pretty fast even though I have 4x.xx drivers. It's a mystery really.

Matata

Novato Experimentado
So I should definitly go back to older drivers?... Now that I think of it, XP used to boot faster

jollyrancher

The reason that certain Nvidia drivers may cause slow startup (and especially shutdown) is the "Nvidia Driver Helper Service," which sometimes gets installed and is totally unneccessary. Just go through the XP Control Panel and disable the service.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
jollyrancher said:
The reason that certain Nvidia drivers may cause slow startup (and especially shutdown) is the "Nvidia Driver Helper Service," which sometimes gets installed and is totally unneccessary. Just go through the XP Control Panel and disable the service.

Nope that aint it, I know all about that, it only causes the shut down slowness, not boot up. But I did just try the 40.41 beta drivers which seem to work as well as the 30.81.

Anyway back to the topic of this thread, I fixed my problem. It turns out somehow Video BIOS Shadowing got turned on, which is a bad thing for PNY (and most other Nvidia) cards. I probably loaded setup defaults as some point and forgot to disable it again.