What's new

So, I got a new video card...

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
It was marked as a Radeon 9600 at Best Buy on sale for 70 dollars after instant and mail in rebates, so I got it installed and it's a PRO! :drool: I guess it's not just the Radeon 9700's that were misboxed at ATI. I paid $70 for a Radeon 9600 Pro! I'm happy, with good reason, no? :bounce:

OP
GogoTheMimic

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
Ah, I thought there was a thread about that but I didn't see it and wasn't sure which Radeon it was. The S/N is 180332014328 if anybody sees that in a Best Buy, those are Pro too. I'm so glad I went to the Thanksgiving sale. So what is a 9600Pro equal to on the nVidia side? Is it almost as good as a 9700 non pro?

Trotterwatch

So a Radeon 9600 Pro is slower than a 9500 Pro?

Is this 100% true? If so I can't see why on earth ATI fanboys can criticise Nvidia for confusing card numbering schemes!

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
yes, it's true. But everybody that knows ati knows the the 9600's are budget cards. the use difference cores, on a different process. they dont need external power either.

the 9600pro was a direct replacement to the 9500pro. its faster in some cases, slower in the rest. Its very much cheaper for ati to produce so it was the only way to go TBH, as the 9500's were too expensive to make a profit on.

Remember that the 9500's have long been discontinued, leaving only the 96,97 and 98's - and with those three the numbers all make sence.

Trotterwatch

I guess it does - but still it's not the best of number schemes in the World (a bit of forward planning was needed perhaps).

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
oh yeah theres no doubting that. I suppose nvidia gets it in the neck from ati fans becuase their cards with screwed-up numbers are sill in production/or still readily available, whereas the 9500's seem to have just vanashed of the face of the earth lol.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Trotterwatch said:
I guess it does - but still it's not the best of number schemes in the World (a bit of forward planning was needed perhaps).

ATi cornered themselves when they made the 9500 Pro - it's simply far too powerful for its position... it's often just as fast as the 9700 non-Pro.