What's new

Problem with dual-monitor setup.

joaomgcd

Hi.

I have a ATI All In Wonder 9700 pro, and if I turn on the dual-monitor option, and if I drag my running PJ64 window to the second monitor (in this case, my TV), everything gets REAL slow... The "Idle" percentage goes down to 0%, and all... But if I drag it back to my primary monitor again, everything goes back to normal.
I tried with other more processor and video card intensive games (such as Wolfenstein ET, for example), and it runs perfectly on the secondary monitor, no slowdown at all...
I've also tried making my TV my primary monitor, and my PC monitor the secondary one, and as soon as I drag the window to my PC Monitor with this setup, everything goes slow...
Is this a bug with PJ64, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for your help...

Additional Specs:
CPU - 2.4GHz Pentium IV
1024 MB DDR Ram

Bill Fleming

I think that when you use a dual-monitor setup the second monitor is emulated(thats what I heard). That would explain why its slow. I have a TV out on my laptop and some programs run slower on my second monitor.

OP
J

joaomgcd

But the thing is, that when I run other games on the secondary monitor, everything is just as it is on my primary monitor, and with PJ64 eveything goes from constant 60fps with about 60% "Idle" to 0% idle, and like 3 or 4 fps!...

Bill Fleming

Well I just tried it on my computer and it went from around 200 to 4 FPS with SSB with I draged it to my second monitor.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i'd appreciate as much info as possible from people with multi-monitor setups please

Smiff

Emutalk Member
well, how do PC games work? how should pj work? do any other plugins/emus work? does anyone have another make of 3d accelerator?

OP
J

joaomgcd

PC games work fine. I tried Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, displaying on the secondary monitor, and it works just as I was playing on my primary monitor... So my guess is, it's some kind of problem with PJ64. I haven't tried any other plugins besides Jabo's 1.5.1, but I will, and I will tell you how it works.

OP
J

joaomgcd

Ok, I've tried it with Glide, and it does the same thing... Are there any other plugins that I should try?

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Here's a question, when you switch to the secondary monitor, is your primary monitor still displaying you desktop/icons/any running apps?

If so, try disabling your primary monitor, PJ64 is a power hog, and ca;;s on a lot of the video memory, as well as your CPUs RAM, so if your video card is trying to display your desktop on one monitor, while constantly drawing polygons on the second, it could be the cause of the slow down.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
joaomgcd said:
PC games work fine. I tried Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, displaying on the secondary monitor, and it works just as I was playing on my primary monitor... So my guess is, it's some kind of problem with PJ64. I haven't tried any other plugins besides Jabo's 1.5.1, but I will, and I will tell you how it works.
Are you doing fullscreen on the secondary monitor?

Or is the game windowed, on the secondary monitor?

OK, I had the same issue with my AIW Radeon 7500, and I know of only two ways to fix it,

1: instead of running dual monitor, try mirror mode. To enable mirror mode,
goto Display settings, turn off monitor 2 (the TV), click apply, then click on advance, goto the display tab, and click on the red button above the TV, and last click apply.
If done right, you should see the same thing on both displays (Note: if I missed quoted anything, it's because I'm not in front of my PC with the AIW card).

2: if you use the ATI control panel, by default, hit Alt+F5, it will switch the displays and turn off the PC monitor and leave on the TV (Note: I use this hotkey to fully use MMC on my TV).

OP
J

joaomgcd

Hexidecimal: Yes, when I enable my secondary monitor, the primary monitor still has apps, icons and everything else running at the same time, but that's the real purpose I want to achieve. For example, I wanted to be able to play on my TV, using my gamepad, while someone else is on the primary monitor, doing something else, like surfing the web. So, disabling the primary monitor does the trick, but then, my TV becomes my primary monitor, and, as I said before, it works well that way, but it beats the purpose of multi-monitoring...
Again, I know the game should run a bit slower with two monitors enabled, but how come it's SO much slower, when other graphic intensive windows games run exactly the same?...

Tagrineth: It only works in window mode. Whenever I try to put it in full-screen, it goes full-screen but on the primary monitor. But this is not a PJ64 problem, because it happens with all the other games too...

URAMetroid: Again, that would beat the purpose of multi-monitoring... :)

Bill Fleming

You could set the TV to be your primary moniter and play N64 games full screen on it and run other applications like Internet Explorer ect. on the second monitor. As far as I know none of my computer games run as fast on my second monitor as they do on my primary monitor.

liteuser

I'll be Back!
Edit this is for geforce tv out cards . still worth a try if all eles fails

First shutdown your pc unplug your primary monitor startup with the secondary (tv) pluged in , then shutdown again plugin the main monitor startup enable your secondary you should see that your secondary has now become your primary, monitor#1 and #2 (#1 being the tv) thats what i do with my big screen then you can drag your web page over to your main monitor and surf . happy gaming
PS. hope this helps

specs
geforce 4 mx se 64mb ddr tv out
S video cable with RF modulator

Last edited:
OP
J

joaomgcd

Wow... Thanks, I hadn't thought of that! Although it isn't perfect, because if you want to open another window, or something, it allways appears on the primary monitor (at least with my All In Wonder), it does the trick... Thanks again. :)
liteuser: On my ATI, I can choose directly which display I want to use for primary and secondary monitor... But thanks anyway!

OK, I came up with a software route (no unplugging anything).

Step 1: Right click on the desktop and select properties, goto the settings tab, turn off the second display, click apply.

Step 2: Then hit alt+F5.

Step 3: Now for the hard part, go back to the display settings, and turn on the second display, and last, click apply.

If done the right way, you should see your icons on the TV (not the monitor), now to make it easier for the other user, move all the icons from the TV to the monitor (display 2).

Note: Your video card comes with software to select what app opens on what monitor, it's called, HYDRAVISION.

http://mirror.ati.com/companyinfo/glossary/hydravision/index.html

OP
J

joaomgcd

I tried fiddling around with Hydravision before, but never understood what it was really for... I will look in to it, thanks again. :)

OP
J

joaomgcd

URAMetroid, I can't seem to find where I'm supposed to choose where my windows should appear.. The only thing I can find is the "dialog repositioning" option, but that only chooses in which monitor the options dialog for Hydravision should appear. Where do I choose the same thing, but for Internet Explorer, for example?