What's new

What system should i even attempt to emulator for a n00b

doggi

Banned
ok, i am really interested in emulation the latest gaming consoles but i know i can't do it yet. So i was wonder, wat really should i start with? NES, SNES? etc if i can successfully do this, i can gain experence and maybe tackle a nice fat juice ps2 emu :happy:

mesman00

What's that...?
if you really are a nOob, don't attempt to emulate any systems. The only thing you will get is misery, unless you pull a Zero and copy some code. Start with some small projects and read up on system artchitecture, etc. Maybe try something simple like a rom remaner.

*edit* i don't want to discourage you, and if you have had a decent amound of programming experience, then by all means take a shot at one of these systems. however, here at emutalk i have seen way to many people with no programming experience think they can just start programming an emulator like its nothing. even the simplest of systems take a lot of work.

OP
D

doggi

Banned
hmm.. me knows its very hard work.. i occasionally download files on system information etc.. read and read until it hurts :satisfied still kinda not get it .. but hey, i got plenty of time :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Then start learn to program. If you haven't done so before, i suggest you begin with visual basic. If you have a little, try c++. You need some experience before you can even attempt to do an emulator.
You also need to learn directx. Get the sdk off m$ website.

GuestX

very good!
i started with visual basic, too. and now i am learning c++.
If you have programming experience it's not so hard to learn
c++. if not, it's harder. An emulator is what more
advanced!

ack i totally disagree do NOT start with visual basic cos converting to everything else is gonna be freakin hard!

Start with C++ its not that bad, then look into VB later on... VB is a brilliant RAD tool but C++ is far more useful for learning the concepts

Doomulation

sytaylor said:
ack i totally disagree do NOT start with visual basic cos converting to everything else is gonna be freakin hard!

Start with C++ its not that bad, then look into VB later on... VB is a brilliant RAD tool but C++ is far more useful for learning the concepts
C++ is too hard for n00bs. To use vb is to get into the programming buissness and know what it's like. Then get into the serious buissness with c++.

GuestX

where i started C++ 1 year ago i didn't understand
nothing!! NOTHING!! so i learned basics and some
a bit more advanced things of visual basic and now
is C++ easier to learn.

doggi, you musn't learn Visual Basic *Perfect*
~3 Months are enough!
and about RAD, there is BCB what i am using ;)

Last edited:

Muka3D

Metroid Prime
Doomulation said:
C++ is too hard for n00bs. To use vb is to get into the programming buissness and know what it's like. Then get into the serious buissness with c++.

I totally agree with this, do start with a little bit of VB, just to get used to making program interfaces, and a little bit of simple coding. Switching to C++, contrary with what has been mentioned before, isn't a huge deal, since you have learned the basic concepts in VB. If you wanna jump to C++ and skip VB, get a book, like Sam's "Teach Yourself Visual C++ 6 in 21 Days", or something around those lines.

tylerbingham

not so bad

I know not one line of BASIC coding. I tought myself C and C++. I will admit it is kinda confusing at first, but after a few months it all makes since. I say start with C then C++....then other "higher level languages". I think that Assembly is great to learn, but it is kinda like Latin (DEAD!!!)...Assembly is the fastest, BASIC I think is the slowest. But with GREAT optimizing, anything is possible.

Slougi

I think starting with VB is not so good. It will teach you lots of bad coding practices. Starting with basic command line C is imho the best way.

Doomulation

Pointers is a very confusing part. As it all the compile errors, the link errors. All this of which you don't have to worry about in VB. I still think it's better to begin with vb rather than c++ or c.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Who is asking you to use pointers as soon as you start learning c language ?

c is a rich language you can do many things with it, it doesn't mean you have to use immediately all available features...

Doomulation

:doh:
I didn't entirely mean you should use them at start...but you do know that most functions uses pointers :plain:
And the compiler difficulties is left...oh well, i suppose you could start with c, but imo i still think it's better with vb.

Xeven

I wouldnt suggest VB at all, in fact i'd say avoid it as much as possible if you have no prior experience at programming. You'll end up learning lots of very bad programming habits. I guess Dijkstra said it best: It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. :p

As for the topic, well if you have zero knowledge of programming its best to start with simple things. Create some apps that do something, anything you like. After that then probably you could progress to more useful and complicated applications.

If you have prior experience with programming and you really want to push through with emulation, well .. you might as well start with one which has the most info available. That way you actually end up doing more programming than reverse engineering. good luck :p

Martin

Administrator
OMG! Xeven is here! *faints*

Welcome Xeven, and that's some good advice you posted :)

BTW, we have the same post count. :D