What's new

[big news] HELLO this came out of no where (new console announced)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gokuss4

Meh...
http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/news/news.pl?y=2003&m=1&nid=20-46.db

http://www.infiniumlabs.com/the_phantom_in_depth.asp

The company plans to market a high performance gaming console and delivery system to provide consumers with options and capabilities that are not available in today’s marketplace. The console will appeal to the hard-core gamer and the high end consumer electronic purchaser. This next generation game console provides a robust, fault tolerant delivery system that supports games on demand, game rentals, game demos, seamless upgrades and patch management. The game console is an “ALWAYS ON BROADBAND DEVICE.” It is easy enough for children to use independently yet so advanced it exceeds the needs of hard-core gamers.

much more in the first link. the second link shows a pic of it. imo this is gonna be interesting... not made by nintendo, sony or microsoft. looks like infiniumlabs is a new contender in the console making competition, but who knows what the future holds...

Vchat20

Sounds too good to be true. any Real proof of this?

anyhow, this does sound like a really great console. I would even go for it if I had broadband. but not going to even think about buying it till this comes out in the media.

Macca

i'm sure that this great new amazing spiffy huge thing (sacrasam :p) wont even make a dent in the console market

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
You never know. I recall similar statements about the xbox, which has already taken a larger share of the european/american markets than nintendo holds.

Vchat20

The features are what amaze me. having all these games, patches, etc. all being transffered over a broadband connection.

They really need to try and prove this by posting specs or something.

Macca

AlphaWolf said:
You never know. I recall similar statements about the xbox, which has already taken a larger share of the european/american markets than nintendo holds.

lol Mr Factual :p

just replace 'nintendo' with 'gamecube' and 'has already taken' with 'may eventually take'

oh and dont foget who the xbox is made by, one of the richest companies in the world, hence having the financial capabilities to aquire games to impact these markets. Infinium Labs? someone check their shareprice, i heard it crashed when someone accidently ordered too many staples :p

radTube

lazy bastard
Bitboyz got nowhere due to lack of funds AFAIK, and so might Infinium. Just pictures and ideas. No specs, nothing on silicon yet I gather. Still, competition is always welcome.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Macca said:
lol Mr Factual :p

just replace 'nintendo' with 'gamecube' and 'has already taken' with 'may eventually take'

well, go take a look at the sales figures and then decide for yourself.

oh and dont foget who the xbox is made by, one of the richest companies in the world, hence having the financial capabilities to aquire games to impact these markets. Infinium Labs? someone check their shareprice, i heard it crashed when someone accidently ordered too many staples :p

Yes, their system does look idiotic. I am willing to bet that these 32k games they are promising are mostly hundreds of variations of tetris, as well as several more equaly inane games. All I am saying is that you never know.

Cyberman

Well it seems rather vaporware at the moment.

What I see missing are the following things.

Processor.. software compatibility.. developement environment.. etc. These are KEY issues, just stating it comes prepackaged blah blah blah is tantamount BS.. I think they are trying to attract investors.

This is the same Idea that several people had in the early 90's only broad band wasn't around. It's possible it's not vapor ware but seems a bit vague.. My guess is they are trying to garner investment, this is a bad time to try and startup something like this, especially since they require a years worth of capital in order to make it and really one needs 2 years. This includes Salaries project and prototype investment etc. The biggest cost on a new console won't be the processor.. it's the damned CASE.

I suspect that it will be either Intel or MIPS based.. those are the two most popular game code formats ;)

Cyb

Josep

eyerun4phun
well the first link has a guy thats a spitting image of lando from star wars, i don't know what the real actors name is, but damn!:)

anyway, umm, so its probably going to be a console with a pyscho nvidia nforce card with updated stuff, then it'll be hacked and thrown in with the other console bunch, just an update from the xbox...just like updating a computer...

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
AlphaWolf said:
well, go take a look at the sales figures and then decide for yourself.

Macca meant that GBA is doing much much better than both gamecube and xbox. which is true. last time i checked GBA is on par with PS2 (if not greater).

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
There are some rules for gaming consoles to have sucess:

1. Have good and innovative system specs
2. Controller design.
3. Quality of games (graphics).
4. Quality of games (gameplay, this is more important)
5. Good marketing and
6. Good Luck

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
Well it looks like the whole 'infinitium labs' is infact one person : Steve Foster. This is still not confirmed from a good source but it would make sense that this whole thing was a fake

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
pj64er said:
Macca meant that GBA is doing much much better than both gamecube and xbox. which is true. last time i checked GBA is on par with PS2 (if not greater).

Right, I missed that one at first, but he is also saying "may eventualy take", when realy "it already has".

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
Remote said:
Steve who? <_<

WHOIS :

Organization:
Steve Foster
Steve Foster
5380 Gulf of Mexico Drive
Longboat Key, FL 34228
US
Phone: (877) 482-9585 v Fax..: (877) 482-9585
Email: [email protected]

Registrar Name....: Register.com
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com
Domain Name: INFINIUMLABS.COM

Created on..............: Tue, Nov 19, 2002
Expires on..............: Wed, Nov 19, 2003
Record last updated on..: Tue, Jan 21, 2003

Administrative Contact:
Steve Foster
Steve Foster
Longboat Key, FL 34228
US
Phone: (877) 482-9585
Fax..: (877) 482-9585

Technical Contact:
Steve Foster
Steve Foster
Longboat Key, FL 34228
US

Zone Contact:
Steve Foster
Steve Foster
Longboat Key, FL 34228
US

As the article said there is no respond to the mails send to IL and the adres given don't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.