What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Sin and Punishment, best setup w/Rice or Glide

gitech

N64 Artist
Sin and Punishment HD Textures Download by GITech

I have started messing around with retexturing Sin and Punishment.

I am having some problems though. SaP used to work pretty good with Rice but for some reason it won't work like it used to. I must of messed with some settings and can't figure out the settings again. With Glide I can't get any of the textures to load among other emulation issues.

Can someone please post your best settings for SaP with either/or both plugins.

I will be asking for help with this retexture project once a setup is established.

Thanks. :)

Update:

The textures I did here are hearby released for public use.

Download here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M0XOLXUJ

Hopefully someone will finish retexturing this great game. Credit given would be nice but not necessary.

If you want to add this to the 'English Translation Pack' by Vanit for your own personal use you need to check for duplicates and get rid of the ones you don't want such as the Nintendo logo and the targeting reticles. There may be more...I don't remember.

Have fun!

-GITech

New pic:
4sm9ua.jpg

Last edited:

cerebus5

I'm getting great results on 1964 with Rice 6.1.3 (because I like the bloom effects), 2XSAL, 32BIT texture, 800X600, accurate texture mapping should be off I think with the texture pack. That's it really. Smooth as butter. I can't wait for you to start work on this, I'll be following your progress.

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Yes, it's awesome! I fixed tit by ticking "use software vertex clipper" under the DirectX tab in RV. I will post a full setup guide once the project officially starts.

For now, here is a look at what I've done. The start screen consists of 40 textures and I used Microdev's Hi-Res Eraser that can be found in the sticky to make that process much easier. ;) Thanks Microdev for the great tool.

First Note: I will be retexturing it with TMEM emulation on so it will be compatible with Glide from the start. Much/some (don't know) of the english translation pack will have to be converted to work with TMEMe and I would like to ask if anyone would be interested in tackling this portion?

Anyway, let me know what y'all think so far:

35a8wn4.jpg

2qci9nn.jpg

b7kqj5.jpg

20j5n54.jpg

2v8naes.jpg

cerebus5

The last picture is amazing! I love the artwork style. Keep it up, eagerly awaiting updates.

Last edited:
OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Thanks, but I did not draw that. I wish I did! You can find that image all over the net and I just used the clearest one I could find, added the "HIRES BY GITECH" with the same fade to gray from center gradient that other words in the image used to make it match, then I assembled them with the help of Microdev's HRE.

The things I am proud of in the pics above is:

1. The shot of Saki in Super Smash Brothers Brawl melded into the Nintendo Logo with a soft 3D bevel.
2. I did the complete alphabet in upper and lower case letters you can see in the 2nd and 3rd pic. That was a chore. (red letters at the top)
3. The ground in those 2 pics. I will be adding debris, blood, and a real floor grate in place of the "black outline" one that is there at this point.
4. The cardboard boxes, which I only did 2 out of 3 sides for so far.

I know many people are not familiar with how this game looked originally so once the project starts I (or we if anyone joins on) will post before and after pics whenever possible.

Hey, here is the alphabet texture so you can get an idea of the work that went into making it. Each letter had to be sized and placed individually:

Before:
2qny4ae.jpg

After:
28vt3s0.jpg

Last edited:

cerebus5

ok I went through the intro just now to see where you had changed, and I can tell the differences. Seems like you're merging your work with the translation texture project right? The lettering is a huge difference.

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Thanks. :)

Yep, I am going to contact the creator of the translation pack and ask him if we can use it.

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Mirror post for those that haven't joined emuxheaven yet can see what I am doing for S&P at this point:

"
Do these problems persist in 'Napalm' as well?

I will check but I have uninstalled it. I need your advice on reinstalling it.

To get a pure install of 'update 10' I deleted every Glide64(.ini,.dll ect...) from my JP64's root and plugin folder, then copied in just the fresh .ini and .dll's from 'update 10' for a clean install for testing. What exactly should I 'copy in' for 'napalm' to install it without interfering with 'update 10'. (if that's possible).

Also, what is the true name of 'update 10'...GlideHQ? In PJ64 it's called Glide64 Wonder Plus WS.

I have a good hunch about what is happening here. Textures with width or height larger than 256 pixels are split and tiled inside Glide64. The texture dumping and etc features are probably clashing with it. I'll look into it. As for the 3 textures with different colors in 1., if they truly have different colors it means that they are using separate color palettes and therefore correct to have 3.

-KoolSmoky

Awesome. I looking through the feedback thread and saw these issues were presented before and no solution was made. It would be cool if the texture dumping feature brings a solution to light.

As for the three textures in one...that's not it. It's more like 3 textures from 2. Glide64 dumped one, the letters, in the correct/original color (yellow) and a second of the same texture in a different color (red). The third was a red version of the numbers/symbols. Rice dumped the 2 in yellow only, and the game displays the "yellow" textures three times on screen but in two different colors. The game adds a red tint to the textures for when they are used at the bottom of the screen in the bosses name. Glide seems to have seen this as a different texture because of the color tint the game added(?).

I'll post the pics from the download here and draw on them to show what I mean: :)

(Corrections to the type in the pics:
1. "san" should be "can".
2. Now that I look at it the color of the clouds looks more 'correct' far at the horizon in the Glide64 pic only as
it matches the far-far away 'background' horizon color. The error is in the upper/closer part of the clouds ;) )
2eygugz.jpg

i3cw2f.jpg

Thanks koolsmoky!"

Vanit

Good to see someone picked up on this project.

But, I noticed that you have my translation within the same game files. And frankly I don't want you distributing my translation within your pack. However, you're more than welcome to link to the translation (found at www.vanitstudios.com) at the same time and encourage users to copy the files in themselves in order to use both packs at once (once you get to the point of releasing your pack, that is).

Last edited:

cerebus5

That's a pretty snotty attitude. Or perhaps you didn't notice that he said that he was going to ask your permission. But why you would object to someone integrating your very partial and incomplete 6 mb piece of work with their much more ambitious effort is really beyond me. It goes against the spirit of the texturing community. Did you hope to gain some kind of revenue from your paltry efforts?

Last edited:

mudlord

Banned
That's a pretty snotty attitude. Or perhaps you didn't notice that he said that he was going to ask your permission. But why you would object to someone integrating your very partial and incomplete 6 mb piece of work with their much more ambitious effort is really beyond me. It goes against the spirit of the texturing community. Did you hope to gain some kind of revenue from your paltry efforts?

Because it is his pack! Vanit has every right to control where his translation pack is offered, and what parts are offered where.

Frankly, I am sick and tired that it is expected that the retexturing community gets some reparation. If you want a decent translation, learn some Japanese and do it along with your fancy textures, and don't plaigarise someone else's!

Sheesh >.>

Vanit

Thanks mudlord, glad to see there's some sanity left in these forums. :)

Yes I did notice, and then I declined. Just because you intend to ask doesn't mean you will get my consent. And its a full translation of the game, its as complete as a translation is going to get.

I've attempted to retexture the game myself, but a lot of the textures can be very fiddly. Like for example I doubt you'll have much luck getting textures onto that soda can and magazine in the intro, great if you do because you would've accomplished something I couldn't. But yeah, this game isn't very friendly for a rull redo so I left it alone rather than get halfway there and finding it just looked tacky.

Why won't I let you use it? Because there's no need. The font is high resolution and the script is more or less as good as its going to get. I put a lot of work into getting this translation done, and where it appears or doesn't appear is my decision.

I don't mind you saying something like, "here is my pack and it will go great with Vanit's translation which can be found here". But I don't want my pack to be swallowed up and superseded by someone else's.

And so far you're the only one who's been rude/snotty.

Last edited:
OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Nice to meet you Vanit! I didn't know you were a member here. Nice!

Great job on your translation pack! ;)

No, problem. At all. This was basically a one day experiment to see if I would like to do it. I agree, and I would put a link to your website in my first post as you asked. Problem is I am not going to do this pack anyway. >_<

I beet the game and I came to this conclusion: the game moves to fast... Retexturing would be a pain and the poly's are too...pointy...to receive the true benefit of a retexture. There are also soooo many textures. I just don't want to do it either. I will post what I have in a few days.

PS: Your post sounds like your talking to me about being rude/snotty. ;)

cerebus5

ah, you modified the original post. Well, it is a real shame that this won't be completed. But to be honest I'm not sure it's so necessary. It's a fantastic looking game anyway, especially with the bloom filter added in. And for the record, I appreciate your work on this game very much. I just fail to see why you would object to someone picking up where you left off, since the goal of it all is simply to enhance the original version in its entirety.

Last edited:

Vanit

@gitech: Nah, wasn't calling you snotty. My original post was directed at you, but then cerebus5 jumped in. ^^

And yep I'm a member. The thread where I developped the translation on this forum should be in the archives somewhere.

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
The textures I did here are hearby released for public use.

Download here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M0XOLXUJ

Hopefully someone will finish retexturing this great game. Credit given would be nice but not necessary.

If you want to add this to the 'English Translation Pack' by Vanit for your own personal use you need to check for duplicates and get rid of the ones you don't want such as the Nintendo logo and the targeting reticles. There may be more...I don't remember.

Have fun!

-GITech

New pic:
4sm9ua.jpg