What's new

Lit' problem with my HD

The Siskoo

Yo, today my HD had a big crash and i lost all my roms N64. then I can't make a beta test for 1 or 2 days. I must find some roms.

Flash

Technomage
The Siskoo said:
Yo, today my HD had a big crash and i lost all my roms N64. then I can't make a beta test for 1 or 2 days. I must find some roms.
Why not to burn to CDs ? Full romset is only 15 CDs or 2.5 DVDs. And HDD is not the place to store important data without backup.

OP
The Siskoo

The Siskoo

Flash said:
Why not to burn to CDs ? Full romset is only 15 CDs or 2.5 DVDs. And HDD is not the place to store important data without backup.

I know. But sometimes you don't have the choice or the times.
You have some others priorities. But I'm winner :getlost:

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
The Siskoo said:

Did you have a true hard disk drive crash or did you get hard disk drive data corruption?

I'm asking, because there have been increased reports of hard disk drive data corruption, thanks to some buggy chipsets and motherboards,
most likely in particular, the Asus A7N8X motherboards.

It seems that Nvidia, with the nForce2 didn't take the time to make sure there were no data corruption bugs. :(

In fact, a person reported that the Nvidia IDE driver has a bug that causes some games to refuse to run, because they think you don't have the CD in the drive, even when the CD is in the drive.

I had a problem with my nForce 1 based motherboard, an Asus A7N266-VM/AA motherboard. When I installed the Nvidia IDE driver from a nForce package, Windows XP failed to boot with: ***STOP: 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE and/or *** STOP: 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA.

Then when I rebooted for the second time, Windows XP automatically ran Chkdsk and Chkdsk reported orphaned files all over my hard disk drive. I saw Chkdsk scroll a long list of errors on my hard disk drive and found out Chkdsk deleted some of my files!!!

Never had this problem with my Via KT133 chipset. :unsure:

Last edited:
OP
The Siskoo

The Siskoo

RJARRRPCGP said:
Did you have a true hard disk drive crash or did you get hard disk drive data corruption?

I'm asking, because there have been increased reports of hard disk drive data corruption, thanks to some buggy chipsets and motherboards,
most likely in particular, the Asus A7N8X motherboards.

It seems that Nvidia, with the nForce2 didn't take the time to make sure there were no data corruption bugs. :(

In fact, a person reported that the Nvidia IDE driver has a bug that causes some games to refuse to run, because they think you don't have the CD in the drive, even when the CD is in the drive.

I had a problem with my nForce 1 based motherboard, an Asus A7N266-VM/AA motherboard. When I installed the Nvidia IDE driver from a nForce package, Windows XP failed to boot with: ***STOP: 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE and/or *** STOP: 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA.

Then when I rebooted for the second time, Windows XP automatically ran Chkdsk and Chkdsk reported rphaned files all over my hard disk drive. I saw Chkdsk scroll a long list of errors on my hard disk drive and found out Chkdsk deleted some of my files!!!

Never had this problem with my Via KT133 chipset. :unsure:

I can't find the real reason of the crash, this is the second time (First with an IBM 40 GO and second with a Seagate 50 Go). The problem is when I start my computer, I had chkdsk who controled the Disk F (4 partition on my disk and it controled the F partition with just backup, utilities, rom, documents, ...).

And after a chkdisk, reboot. It was a damn loop (boot, chkdsk, reboot, etc). Last year after the problem with the 40 Go, I chanfed my Mobo (MSI KT4V) and the alimentation (300 W --> 400 W).

I have no other clues...

OP
The Siskoo

The Siskoo

RJARRRPCGP said:
You may have faulty motherboard components.

After the first time, I changed for a MSI and a new alimentation. but I don't think it cames from the mobo components !!!

Maybe I'm unlucky and the next year, the HD will crash another time :cry: