What's new

Glide 64 - Display graphics in 1:1 resolution?

Grizzly

Hi, I want to create screenshots of N64 games. But I do not want them stretched in any way but in the original size.

Because Glide 64 displays the most games correctly, I want to use that plugin if possible. But unlike what is possible in the Playstation software plugin, I cannot tell the plugin to display graphics in 1:1 resolution but I only have got the possibility to choose from various resolutions. Now the problem is that the right resolution is not available there. It may look nice on 320 x 240, but according to Wikipedia the internal resolution ranges from 256 x 224 (standard?) to 640 x 480 (interlaced?).
When taking a heart from Glover as an example, it is easy to spot errors in the available resolutions:
gloverhearts3wi.png

So I want to choose 256 x 224 (if that's the right resolution) - but I cannot choose it. So is it possible to either let the plugin choose the game's 1:1 resolution automatically or to force the plugin to use a specific resolution (i.e. 256 x 224) although it is not selectable?

:sombrero:

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
N64 games can use frame buffer of arbitrary size between 320x240 and 640x480. This internal resolution is scaled up to selected plugin's resolution. Aspect ratio is usually close to 3x4 for both internal and output resolution, so scale problems are not noticable. The only exceptions I can remember are
1) widescreen mode, so it is not recommended to use
2) videos in Resident Evil 2, which indeed have resolution 256 x 224 (or close to it), aspect ratio is not 3x4 at all. I have added special code to the plugin to display them correctly.
I can add special display mode - "native resolution", unscaled output in the center of the screen, but this option is useless for most people.

OP
G

Grizzly

Gonetz said:
I can add special display mode - "native resolution", unscaled output in the center of the screen, but this option is useless for most people.
It would be great if you could add this special display mode :)

I know that it's not of a high interest for most people (when I play a game, I also choose a higher resolution), but I need such a mode for taking the screenshots.

OP
G

Grizzly

I just tried the Glide64 Napalm version but I cannot seem to find such a feature. Do you still plan to either add 256x224 as a selectable resolution or create a "native resolution" display mode?

Clements

It would be a good feature to have (for sprite ripping etc), but I don't think any plugin is capable of doing it right now. At the moment, most plugins still stretch to 4:3 or your monitor resolution. Aspect ratio handling has improved though since your post in 2006, but still not quite flexible enough yet IMO.

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
Even though that may be the native resolution, aren't most of the games designed to be played on a 4:3 screen? You may be able to take the screenshots, but everything would probably look tall and skinny.

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
Grizzly,
"native resolution" option was not implemented, because nobody else asked me for that. I don't want to overload user interface with useless options.
However, as you need it, I made special hacked version for you.
It does rendering with no scaling, no matter which resolution is selected.
The image is placed on the upper left corner. I don't have time/will to center it.
Grab it here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/125085822/Glide64_noscale.rar.html