What's new

Everything becomes a audio cd :(

Daikath

I am using a 64-bit version of Vista.

I am running Chankast found biosfiles and the system menus work, but everything goes to audio cd menu. Including boot cd's.

When I select CDrom interface aspii it gives me a TOC read error, so I use CDrom interface xxx.

This emulator would really be what I need because it contains a Z-buffer option and it works with DirectX. So i can rip 3d models from memory with 3d Ripper DX and get models from all kinds of DC games :).

But it all seems to be foiled by my inability to get chankast to run any games :(. Since it always says it is a audio cd.

Any help would be greatly appreciated by me being able to rip 3d models from all my favourite games ever!

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Don't use Chankast, simple as that. Plus, Chankast's disc booting/handling features have never been particularly good. There are other Dreamcast emulator that are far better than Chankast, and incidentally, also have better CD handling code.

OP
D

Daikath

Don't use Chankast, simple as that. Plus, Chankast's disc booting/handling features have never been particularly good. There are other Dreamcast emulator that are far better than Chankast, and incidentally, also have better CD handling code.

NullDC doesnt record zvalues for their vertexes, so when i import the frame from 3d ripper dx it is totally flat and not even reckonizable. Demul doesnt work with directx so i can't rip it with that.

I appreciate your answer, but for the purpose of ripping 3d models from games, i really do need chankast.

Is there something im missing which is causing chankast to register everything as a audio cd? It has to be able to work since ive seen screenshots of people playing games with chankast.

OP
D

Daikath

Nothing wrong with chankcast, its a great emu and was the fist proper working DC emu.

Then how did you get Chankast to recognize your games as Dreamcast discs instead of audio cd;s then?

Im just wondering if its my OS and i should try it on a different one. :)

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
The problem is that most Dreamcast rips floating on the net were ripped as .cdi images. The .cdi format went through some changes over the years and the old images are not recognized by most applications anymore (including Daemon Tools).
There are various workarounds for this "problem". You could try older Daemon Tools versions (v3.29 is known to work but it's not compatible with Vista), you could try another virtual drive application or you could try non .cdi images as long as they are "selfboot" (as most people call the rips that work on a Dreamcast without a boot disc).

There is another alternative... but I'll have to ask drk before mentioning it. :p

OP
D

Daikath

Ty a lot for that answer PsyMan, it seems to reconize it as a game, only then gives a ioControl error and then goes back to the system menu, but not to the audio cd screen anymore!!

Anyways, if you have some other tips my email addres is [email protected] if you got some other news I'll make a nice render of your name in a DC game of your choice :eek:.

Edit: Now its working, the image itself gives the io error, but other images work fine., now i got chankast working, woot :). Now im gonna rip some models.

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Yeah, the errors are caused because the image drive cannot read data from the image.

Try this plugin instead. It should eliminate this kind of problems. :)