What's new

Can anybody help me? This emulator refuses to work. What am I doing wrong?

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
try posting more info about what you are doing, step by step, and any error messages or what you are seeing happening and maybe you will get some help. ;)

and best yet post to the correct forum if your not a bot of some sort.

OP
D

DWarbucks

Well it's probably the most popular mega drive emulator there is. It's even been licensed to Sega by the emu creator. That's the dl page in my first post.

Anywho, it's completely in Java. Here's the emu instructions (it fails to work)

"To use jEnesis you need to hava a Java VM installed of course.
If not, you can get Sun's Java runtime environment here:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp .
To start jEnesis use the 'jEnesis.bat'. If you installed a new Sun Java
VM, double clicking the .jar should work too.
If it doesnt work, you need to find your java.exe or javaw.exe and start
it with the command line like this:
javaw -jar jEnesis.jar"

I have java 1.6 re so no trouble there..

The .bat file runs this, but it doesn't work as is:

javaw -cp jEnesis.jar;lwjgl.jar jenesis.Main

I wonder if being on Win7 is the problem? :shrugs:

I can't even run java without pointing the path to the x86 program dir from the command line, so it's not in harmony with the instructions to run automatically.

And the thing is, I'm not necessarily doing anything wrong.. I just think the instructions aren't applicable here.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
What the hell does this have to do with Project64?

P.S. No, it's not the most popular MegaDrive/Genesis emulator there is.

Last edited:

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
I would certainly say it isn't the most popular. Kega Fusion is the best imho.

As to this one it hasn't been update in 4 years according to the readme. I tried it out using JRE 6 r23 and it simply looks like it will not run any longer. Once you can even get the command line working, which this should do it

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -cp jEnesis.jar;lwjgl.dll jEnesis.Main

It can't even load the 'jEnesis.Main' at all. Not sure why or what the fix is. My suggestion is try another emulator.

Last edited:

Agozer

Why would you even want to use an emulator coded purely in Java, not to mention one that doesn't seem to sport a dedicated executable - instead forcing the user to start fiddling with the command line? Said emulator is also older than ancient. The supposed fact that it was licensed to Sega ultimately means nothing.

Is there some reason why you refuse to save yourself from a major headache and simply use a far better and (more popular emulator) like Kega Fusion?

P.S. Someone move this thread already.

Last edited:
OP
D

DWarbucks

If I can manage to get it dumped, it actually can be run from a web browser.

It's one of only two mega drive emus that do this I think.

OP
D

DWarbucks

C'mon be nice dude.

I can't believe I'm stuck. Tumbleweeds at all the top emu forum spots concerning this. Shocked that this wasn't a movement already. I guess you have to be a site admin (someone like me) to get excited about this since you can offer membership console gaming to users without manual downloads.

Toasty

Sony battery
Given that PD ROMs aren't very popular and it would be illegal to do with commercial ROMs, I can't say I find it that surprising that there's not a lot of hype surrounding something like that.

OP
D

DWarbucks

What's a PD Rom?

I definitely wasn't suggesting fees or anything. I'm really surprised the emu community isn't into this as a whole. I pretty much jumped out of my chair when I came across browser play lol.

Agozer

PD = Public Domain. You are not really going to get anyone to play if you only put PD ROMs available, since most people only care about the commercial ones - they are of much higher quality and entertainment value after all, for obvious reasons.

Last edited: