What's new

Best controller for 64

Yeppers

Is there any other controller other than the Nintendo 64 controller that I could use? I don't want to have to buy a controller and then the adapter for it.

It would also be nice if the controller was universal and could be played with any nintendo console games. (on the PC)

smcd

Logitech pads are fairly common too - there's one that looks sort of like a PS2 controller that would make for a decent pad. logitech dual action, i think. It would also work for NES and SNES :)

Clements

The Xbox 360 controller works very well with emulators (lots of buttons, analog triggers, rumble, no need for adapters).

Clements

Yes. I use the same one myself.

I heard from a couple people that you cannot configure the controller settings with a 360 controller on the PC, is this true?

You can pretty much configure the controller settings any way you want, especially if you use XBCD drivers rather than Microsoft's own, down to stuff like analog stick deadzones and % rumble strength of individual actuators. You need to use the N-Rage plugin and the XBCD drivers to get Rumble to work properly.

Here is the Configuration Utility with XBCD drivers:

XBCD1.png

XBCD2.png

XBCD3.png

Last edited:

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
What controller would work best is up to you. It's really a matter of preference, so people should really stop asking this question.

I do however like the Logitech Extreme 3D gamepad (though I never use it as I have adaptors for PSX and Gamecube controllers, as well as an Adaptoid). I think I saw it being used to control a Mars rover on a NASA show. TMMS.

spartan

i use my ps3 controller and it works very good, plus you dont have to buy an adapter for it cause its usb.:bouncy:

OP
Y

Yeppers

What controller would work best is up to you. It's really a matter of preference, so people should really stop asking this question.
I asked if I could use a device other than the N64 controller because I didn't even know if I could use anything else. My question was never "Which controller is best for me?"

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
I asked if I could use a device other than the N64 controller because I didn't even know if I could use anything else. My question was never "Which controller is best for me?"
Ah. Well, you can use keyboard, mouse and any combinations of gamepads/joysticks you want. I recommend the NRage plugin, it'll just use the gamepads without you needing to select it from a list, as well as having mouse support. Sorry if I offended you. But you know, before you posted you could have tested it out for yourself.

OP
Y

Yeppers

By "anything else", I meant something along the lines of a controller.

And yes, I did try out my keyboard, and I don't like it.

MK91233

i use the xbox s controller it works perfect
all you have to do is cut the xbox controller wire and cut a usb cable and match th colored wires - the yellow and download the xbcd driver

here is my config
A-black
B-white
Cpad-ABXY
analog-L analog
start-start
L or Z-L
R-R
left over L or Z-back

ndm_1111

Until I get my Adaptoid I'm using a P990 Dual Analog Saitek pad. The P2600 supports rumble and P2900 is wireless which are options I don't care much for but others do. I know the build quality isn't the greatest but the 6 thumb button arrangement is more like a real N64 and L,R,Z,Start map to the shoulder buttons just fine.

albert0

Just get any USB controller that you feel comfortable with, and then just configure that. I would recomend the PS2 looking controller, if you do not want an N64 controller.

jdsony

I use the Xbox 360 Wireless controller and it's great but a fair bit more expensive than the wired version because of the initial controller cost plus the cost of the wireless receiver. Wireless is nice though. I even managed to get it working under linux too though it's not quite as clean.

I've used a PS1 controller as well in the past and the 360 controller is a fair bit better. The N64 controller is pretty hard to emulate because it's design doesn't really follow the standards of other controllers. The SNES controller is pretty much the design everyone else is still following (to a point) while Nintendo seemed to move on and invent new layouts etc.

albert0

You can actually get N64 controllers, and then plug them into a special USB adaptor, or buy USB Nintendo 64 controlers (google is a good source). Then you can also configure it for SNES and NES emulators as well. You can also probably get game controllers as well for them.