What's new

Perfect Dark the way it should be

Incivad

I've seen several questions on this forum asking how to use some of the more common plugins, and alot of problems with one of the more popular games which is Perfect Dark. So here's a quick guide to get people up and running with Perfect Dark. This will give you Modern Fps controls, get your game working with no errors (Hopefully) and get you ready for netplay.

Ok, first you need to download two different emulators. One to emulate, and one to borrow superior video plugins from. You’ll also need a Perfect Dark rom. Preferably the (U) 1.1.

The emulator you will be playing with is called 1964, you can download it here:
http://www.emulator-zone.com/download.php/emulators/n64/1964/1964_099.exe

The second emulator which you will need to borrow plugins from, Project 64, can be found here:
http://www.emulator-zone.com/download.php/emulators/n64/project64/project64_1.6.exe

Now install both, to whatever directories you would like. I install them to my desktop for simplicity and easy access.

Next, go to your \Project64 1.6\Plugin folder. Copy both Jabo_direct3d6 and 8.

Move them to your \1964\099\plugin folder.

Now start your emulator. Hit Plug-Ins on the top. Go into Change plugins. Click the drop down box for video plugins and select Jabo_direct3d8. This plugin is capable of running Perfect Dark with no graphical errors.

Ok, exit that and go into Plugins -> Video settings. Set your full screen resolution to match that of your monitor’s resolution. You may set anistropic and anti-aliasing if you’d like.

Ok, now on to controls. Go to plugins - > Input settings. Now you’ll have to set Controller 1 regardless, but if you’re going to netplay set up controllers 2, 3 and 4 as well. Just set them exactly the same as controller 1.

You can set these your own way, but I suggest mine, as it took quite a bit of tinkering with both in-game and out of game controls to make it control like a modern fps.

//Digital Pad
Down -> S

//Buttons
Start - > Shift
A - > E
B - > R
Ltrig - > Lctrl
Rtrig -> Right Mouse(Mouse 01)
Ztrig -> Left Mouse(Mouse 00) If it won’t let you assign it, go into your windows mouse settings and switch it to a left handed mouse, assign it, then switch back to a right handed mouse.

//C buttons
Up - > W
Left -> A
Right -> D
Down -> LCtrl

//Analog Stick
Uncheck Real N64 range.
Set range to 100%.
Up -> Mouse Axis Y- - This is done by moving your mouse forward when it prompts for input.
Left - > Mouse Axis X –
Right -> Mouse Axis Y+
Down -> Mouse Axis X+

Now you can save the profile if you’re going to be playing other games, or just hit save if you’re not.

Now you’re ready to move in game. Start up your rom. Alt – Tab to move between rom and this guide. Use Alt-Enter to maximize it to full window. Not yet though, just keep it in windowed to set options.

In game hit E on new profile and use WASD to move the cursor and input your name. You will be using WASD for menus.

Hit E or Shift to select the profile once it’s made.

Hit A once to scroll to the options screen.

Use D to scroll down to controls.

Hit E to enter the control menu. You can now toggle between player 1 and 2 controls for coop and single player. Switch both to 1.2, remove reverse pitch, and remove Look Ahead. Leave auto – aim on if you’d like to cheat. I find it makes the controls kind of “sticky” so I remove it.

Now leave the controls and head back to the main menu.

Hit Combat Simulator, it’s time to make your multiplayer profile.

Go to advanced setup.
Scroll to the right once to enter player setup.

Name your character.

Then pick your character.

Set the controls to 1.2, remove look ahead, and reverse pitch as before.

Hit back and then go to save player. You will have to load this player everytime you go into multiplayer. Or create this player if you’re on someone else’s hosted server, as they have a different memory file than you do.

Now you’re all set up for multiplayer. On to how to work netplay.

Close your rom. If you have to Ctrl –Alt –Del out don’t worry, it will save what you’ve done so far.

Reopen the emulator.

Hit net play, set lag to 1. Setting it to less means less client side, but more delay between server and client side syncs. More means more client side, but less time between syncs. 1 is the best, no lag client side and very little server sync if you have decent latency.

Hit Connect to Kaillera server. A window should pop up. Now pick the lobby with the lowest Ms to both you and your buddy. Comprimise on this one, spread the lag around.
I have a Ts Perfect Dark lobby set up so feel free to play in there. Enter a username and double click on the lobby of your choice. Once you’re in the lobby, have who ever is going to host, hit create new game. Pick Perfect Dark. Then have the friend(s) join his gameline by clicking on it in the bottom window. The game should boot at this point.

As long as all your controls are set for all the controllers, it should auto plug you for the correct one. Just have your other players hit start when prompted and Voila.

As for communication in game, use X-fire. http://www.xfire.com/xf/index.php

If you’d like to host your own server download that here: http://www.kaillera.com/download.php

There ya go. Have fun guys.

Last edited:

ragnor

or, if you're a hardcore coolguy, you can use PJ64 with Rice's Beta10 plugin (found in the high-res retexturing area), and use the Perfect Dark hi-res textures.

OP
I

Incivad

Sorry guys, fixed in edit, but set lag to 1 not 4. I just had an hour netplay session on 1 and it rocked.

ragnor said:
or, if you're a hardcore coolguy, you can use PJ64 with Rice's Beta10 plugin (found in the high-res retexturing area), and use the Perfect Dark hi-res textures.

1964 has netplay which is the only reason I'm playing it Pc instead of digging my 64 out, and it has mouse control.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
This guide is only useful if your computer is slow. Mine can handle Perfect Dark at CF1 on project64 1.6 and I promise you, there is no smoother play :D - In any case besides the netplay the emulator you use is moot point. I'm not into netplay anyway, it doesn't work good enough yet imo.

jdsony

All I know is that I was playing Perfect Dark in Project 64 1.6 on the weekend in 1776x1000 with 4x AA and 16X Aniso. It was smooth and sweet. Doesn't look as good as modern PC games of course but in a resolution that high and with AA enabled it puts most console games to shame with it's smooth look sans jaggies (no fancy lighting, low polygon count, no/wimpy physics but still good). Conker, Zelda and others looked great too. I should really just sell all my N64 stuff because it just doesn't compare except for the compatibility. Since Nintendo's Revolution is supposed to play all past systems I hope they decide to boost the resolution on all their old games. It still probably won't surpass what the emulators can do though.

ragnor

yes. Yes, Rice's plugin works on 1964. PJ64 just happens to be the most current and updated emulator. I'm sure 1964 will come out with an update sooner or later, which will make me change to 1964 again. shrug.

OP
I

Incivad

Hmm, is there any possible way to improve netplay, and mouse control for mouse look?

Netplay is flaky at best for the moment. And only works with extremely low latency.

Mouse control feels sticky.

Killerfox

Allright! Thank you so much, this is what I had been looking for, Thans so much, Rice's Daelaus just wasn't cutting it with Perfect Dark.... And if it helps anyone Jabo's sound doesn't work for me but Zilmar's works great!

Vboy

EmuCrazy
No, I mean can you make it so Super smash brothers can work fast (it used too) so what settings did you use? I'm afraid I messed around with them.