What's new

Dolphin Demos?

omnislash124

Hey all, i'm kinda new here, but just a quick question......does anybody here know where I can get some quick Demos to see how Dolphin runs on my computer?

OP
O

omnislash124

Ok, i'm going to assume that I can't use it yet because I need a better video card/3d accel.(refer to the picture) So...another question arisees....should I go for Geforce or Radeon?

Knuckles

be sure :

to have a DirectX compatible card
got DX9 instralled
got the video plugin set to HAL and not REF.

go to start -> run , type dxdiag, and go run the Direct3D test.

OP
O

omnislash124

Ok, everything has been checked and drivers have been updated....I try to open the demo and it loads and gives me a green screen followed by this error.....what's wrong now? Do I need another video card or graphics accel?
I'm using S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR right now......

Maybe I should post my system specs....

Processor: AMD Athlon 1800+ (~1.5-1.6 GHz)
RAM: 256MB DDR RAM
Graphics Card: S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
3D Accel: None i think......this might be the problem...
Sound Card: Doesn't really matter, but Avance AC97 Audio

Last edited:
I think a new Nvidia or ATI card might be the answer ... but i wouldn't get a new card just for dolphin just yet anyway. also, with the rest of your specs, i wouldn't think things would run very well. maybe some puzzle games could work ... but my personal opinion is a 6Ghz CPU is needed.

(6Ghz at least ... i know, nobody likes hearing the truth)

i could be wrong.

Last edited:
jareg, it's a simple matter of math ... isn't it? ... you expect to get 60 FPS with an AMD XP 2000+ on some of the high-end GC games? sorry, but i have a P4 2.8Ghz overclocked to 3Ghz with a RADEON 9800 Pro ... there's no way i could get 30 FPS on most of the games ... i don't care how well they program Dolphin. i'm sure Knuckles has to agree with me and others ... right?

through-out the life of PJ64, i went from 600Ghz to 3000Ghz ... Goldeneye and Perfect Dark and Beetle Advensure Racing and a whole bunch of other games needed more than 1200Ghz ... if Gamecube is 5 times more powerful ... hmmm ... simple matter of math!

P.S., emulation needs heavy CPU, not just Video Card. that's simply a fact.

Doplhin readme.txt:

The System Requirements
=========================
GFX: Radeon 9500+ series card recommended, but Geforce FX
series also work. Expect severe graphics problems
with lower cards.
CPU: The fastest you can find.
RAM: 256MB or higher strongly recommended.
Audio: Any Windows/DirectX-compatible soundcard.

Last edited:
Nintendo 64 released: 1996
Intel releases 200Mhz CPU: 1996

intel releases 1700mhz CPU: 2001 (5 years later)
Nintendo Gamecube released: 2001

(it has only been 3 years ... 2 more years and there should be the CPU we need)

at the very end of being 3 years of the release of the Nintendo 64, Intel had just came out with 533 and 600 PIII's in september ... you can hardly emulate most games with that. at the end of 3 years of releasing the Gamecube, intel will come out with 4Ghz ... sorry, i know the truth hurts

P.S.

Nintendo 64 was only 100mhz, 64 bit chip. i believe Gamecube is 485mhz 64 bit chip ... so roughly it should take 5 times the CPU to emulate the Gamecube (again)

Last edited:

jareg

Just A Guy
SoberAnalyst said:
you expect to get 60 FPS with an AMD XP 2000+ on some of the high-end GC games?

Actually SoberAnalyst i dont expect anything

And you cant tell that using simple math(Ok i believe that you need a powerful cpu but not only that you need a powerful optimized GC emu too)
Its not only PC that matters its how the emu is coded.
Anyway we both dont no anything about programming so we cant imagine how its done :satisfied

PS: You can use 1 post to explain yourself too :)

how can you say i don't know anything about programming? ... you could say that emulating Gamecube is beyond me but i am a computer programmer analyst. thus my name Sober Analyst

dreamer

SoberAnalyst said:
jareg, it's a simple matter of math ... isn't it? ... you expect to get 60 FPS with an AMD XP 2000+ on some of the high-end GC games? sorry, but i have a P4 2.8Ghz overclocked to 3Ghz with a RADEON 9800 Pro ... there's no way i could get 30 FPS on most of the games ... i don't care how well they program Dolphin. i'm sure Knuckles has to agree with me and others ... right?

through-out the life of PJ64, i went from 600Ghz to 3000Ghz ... Goldeneye and Perfect Dark and Beetle Advensure Racing and a whole bunch of other games needed more than 1200Ghz ... if Gamecube is 5 times more powerful ... hmmm ... simple matter of math!

P.S., emulation needs heavy CPU, not just Video Card. that's simply a fact.

Doplhin readme.txt:

never knew you needed more than 1200 ghz to run N64 games :whistling

Project64 Documentation:

Project64 Recommended System Specification
-------------------------------------

This specification should allow you to play any game with good speed, graphics, sound and control, subject to the limitations of the emulator. Note that this specification is still not sufficient for every option available, but with proper configuration you shouldn't have significant limitations.

Intel Pentium 3 1.2Ghz or higher or AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz or higher
256MB RAM or more
nVidia GeForce3 or later or ATI Radeon or later
1GB or more free hard drive space
Creative Soundblaster Live! or higher
Wishtech Adaptoid and original Nintendo N64 controller for each player
Microsoft Windows 2000/XP

and now you know! also, i say the 1700Ghz was released 5 years later, but i doubt everyone had a 1700Ghz CPU at that time ... usualy, people are a little behind ... so when the 1700Ghz CPU came out, i'm sure enthusiest and gamers had maybe a 1200Ghz CPU. do you have a 3.6Ghz P4 or an Athlon 64 or whatever? ... no, didn't think so

Last edited:
OP
O

omnislash124

Project64 Recommended System Specification
-------------------------------------

This specification should allow you to play any game with good speed, graphics, sound and control, subject to the limitations of the emulator. Note that this specification is still not sufficient for every option available, but with proper configuration you shouldn't have significant limitations.

Intel Pentium 3 1.2Ghz or higher or AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz or higher
256MB RAM or more
nVidia GeForce3 or later or ATI Radeon or later
1GB or more free hard drive space
Creative Soundblaster Live! or higher
Wishtech Adaptoid and original Nintendo N64 controller for each player
Microsoft Windows 2000/XP

Are you serious? I don't have a GeForce or an ATI Radeon....and mine runs at a constant 50-60 FPS....But seriously, between Geforce or Radeon....which one is better? I've been wanting to get one for sometime now.....

it's just recommended ... i'm sure they didn't test the thing out on anything but nvidia or ati cards. when i would play conker on my laptop, the top of his head would be white ... and some weird things would happen in smash bros.

it's not a matter of what's better ... maybe just what you want to use it for. if you're seriously only interested in Dolphin, wait and see after the next release and people might know what's better. if it's for games, you will have to do some research.

i bet it would, with smash bros. melee ... or posibily mario sunshine ... or who knows what else? most people here don't know what state the development is in. all i'm saying is 6Ghz would probably be needed for the final product. it would be like arguing the need to get paint for a house that doesn't have drywall put up yet. (bad analogy)

P.S. you overclocked a 2.6 celeron to 3.4Ghz? ... i have a 2.6 in my old computer and i never thought about over clocking it. are you lying? ... i overclocked my P4 2.8 to 3.08 and everything was fine for the first couple months then it rebooted a few times while i was playing games ... too hot, even with all my fans and everything.

jareg

Just A Guy
SoberAnalyst said:
i bet it would, with smash bros. melee ... or posibily mario sunshine ... or who knows what else? most people here don't know what state the development is in. all i'm saying is 6Ghz would probably be needed for the final product. it would be like arguing the need to get paint for a house that doesn't have drywall put up yet. (bad analogy)

Actually he meant the teaser not one of the unreleased versions

And what is the point anyway if Smash bros melee crashes after few seconds of gameplay and mario sunshines mixed up gfx :)
And if you are talking about the final product (what a stupid word in nextgen emulation) then i think you dont need a 6ghz cpu because the emulator itself must be optimized

Anyway my opinion :saint:

Last edited: