What's new

Win2K users: found a way to run images!

mashakos

If you are a Win 2K user and you get the cd player when running your images, then you are in the right place.

If your image is self-bootable and you get the CD Player when running the CD on Chankast, then the problem doesn't lie with the CD image but with Win 2K itself.

I couldn't find a fix for this and until the wizards at Team Chankast fix this, here's a work around:

First you'll need CDRWIN
  • INSERT GAME CD OR MOUNT CD IMAGE IN DAEMON TOOLS
  • RUN CDRWIN. PRESS Extract Disk/Tracks/Sectors BUTTON(SEE PIC)
    attachment.php
  • IN THE NEXT WINDOW, SELECT YOUR CD DRIVE UNDER CD Reader OPTION(SEE PIC)
    attachment.php
  • MINIMIZE CDRWIN
  • NOW RUN CHANKAST !

By loading a cd/image from CDRWIN and leaving it open, Win 2K uses the CDRWIN atapi drivers allowing unreadable CD's to work.

This is only for those CD's that get the CD Player in Chankast.

Coming Soon: utility that let's you select cd image from a list and run it in chankast fullscreen.

Xstriker

3d master-
your thing doesn't work, i tried out and it doesn't work, i did all you told, do we have to press start or what, plz help?

Stezo2k

S-2K
people having trouble running the fix, wait for the next version, apparently win2k compatability has been fixed ;)

tygra

this is an old trick mashakos,
it is already found by other member and i have been using it for few weeks now.
u just need to run cdrwin.

OP
mashakos

mashakos

Xstriker said:
nah doesn't work

IMPORTANT! THIS IS ONLY FOR GAME IMAGES THAT PLAY IN WINDOWS XP AND STILL DON'T WORK IN WIN 2000. TEST YOUR GAME IMAGE ON A XP MACHINE IF IT WORKS THERE AND DOESN'T RUN IN YOUR WIN2K PC THEN TRY THIS TUTORIAL!

I posted this yesterday, after playing Cosmic Smash for 3 hours...

So I log on today and see all this! :blink:

Confused, I load the Cosmic Smash image in daemon tools, run CDRWIN and load the image, run chankast and the game doesn't run!!! WTF ???? (!) (!) (!)

So I spend the whole day tinkering with CDRWIN/chankast/daemon tools and finally get the game working again :satisfied

I found out that non-loading CD's won't work with the fix in win 2000 (read more to find out).
EDIT: Uhhhh... Actually CD's do work but not on all CD/DVD drives. Confused? Then stick with CD images :)

BE WARNED ONLY IMAGES WORK WITH THIS!

Here's the revised instructions:

• DON'T MOUNT CD IMAGE IN DAEMON TOOLS :)
  • RUN CDRWIN. PRESS Extract Disk/Tracks/Sectors BUTTON(SEE PIC)
    attachment.php
  • IN THE NEXT WINDOW, SELECT YOUR CD DRIVE UNDER CD Reader OPTION(SEE PIC)
    attachment.php
  • YOU GET AN ERROR. DON'T PANIC! NOW GO ON TO THE NEXT STEP
  • NOW MOUNT CD IMAGE IN DAEMON TOOLS :)
  • SELECT YOUR CD DRIVE UNDER CD Reader OPTION (AGAIN)
  • MINIMIZE CDRWIN
  • NOW RUN CHANKAST !

Try it. Anyway it's a hassle so try this only if you want to find out for sure if your game works or if you can't wait for Chankast 0.3 :)

To make a complete test, I burned the Cosmic Smash image and tried it on an XP system to test if it actually works and it worked on the XP system directly without problems. Tried running it on my system with the previous steps, but CDRWIN couldn't recognize the CD so even CDRWIN has it's limitations.

So non-loading CD's can't work with this fix, only images

Last edited:

Xstriker

3d master-
nope doesn't work, my thing says, mulit session discs are not supported, also there is two tracks? i don't know what is the problem? did you test this with other games or is this the only game you tested, because if its that, your tutorial is not good

Last edited:
OP
mashakos

mashakos

Xstriker said:
nope doesn't work, my thing says, mulit session discs are not supported, also there is two tracks? i don't know what is the problem? did you test this with other games or is this the only game you tested, because if its that, your tutorial is not good

IMPORTANT! THIS IS ONLY FOR GAME IMAGES THAT PLAY IN WINDOWS XP AND STILL DON'T WORK IN WIN 2000. TEST YOUR GAME IMAGE ON A XP MACHINE IF IT WORKS THERE AND DOESN'T RUN IN YOUR WIN2K PC THEN TRY THIS TUTORIAL!

The only game that worked for me without any problems was Ikaruga and that was because the version i got was already selfboot. Soul Caliber and Jojo's bizarre adventure I had to patch myself. I had 2 other games that wouldn't work by using a direct self boot patch and they were Trickstyle and Virtua Striker 2. I needed to hex edit the 1ST_READ.BIN file of each of those games then apply selfboot patch.

Cosmic Smash was the only game which didn't work even after patching it, making it selfboot, and making another selfboot after hex editing it's 1ST_READ.BIN.
Why did the game not work ? Because Win 2000 can't read the disk properly so even if it's a selfboot cd/image it won't run.

So this tutorial is for those games that won't work in Win 2000 even after you apply self-boot, apply self-boot again and hex edit 1ST_READ.BIN

Did you try applying self boot patch on your game image?
TUTORIAL: How to make your homebrew games bootable
Did you try hex editing 1ST_READ.BIN and then applying self boot patch?
Help: Problem with virtua striker 2 not autoboot
If so then this tutorial is your last option to make the game work. Otherwise, your cd image might not be working for another reason.

What are you talking about? You're getting an error in CDRWIN ? If CDRWIN can't read the virtual daemon cd drive then it's over...

You have to unmount the cd image from daemon tools (unload the cd image) before you run CDRWIN and in 'Extract Disk/Tracks/Sectors' choose the daemon tools virtual cd drive (in my computer it's called Generic STEALTH DVD).

You should get a 'no disc' error if you unloaded the cd image in daemon tools and chose the virtual cd drive in CDRWIN.

If you chose the virtual cd drive and you get any other error like 'multi-session disk' or 'illegal command request' then that means you did not unload the cd image so unload it and try selecting the virtual drive again to get the 'no disc' error.

Like I said this does not work for regular CD's so only try your virtual CD.

Got the error? Great. Now you can mount or load your game image in daemon tools. Don't close the CDRWIN window!

Go back to CDRWIN and select the virtual cd drive. Now that you loaded your virtual image IT SHOULD NOT GIVE ANY ERRORS!. If it does then that means CDRWIN can't read your game image and you can't play this game till Chankast 0.3

If you didn't get ANY errors after the last step, run chankast and enjoy

This is a very complicated method so you have to pay attention and you will probably not feel like playing once you get it right so if it's too much of a hassle wait till chankast 0.3 :D

Last edited:

gorzerk

well I have done some other test in my side.
I have manage to burn two times in the same session the audio.raw audio track, and then the game+dummy.
the boot worked then, I had the swirl and then the sega speech.. it could have been a sucess... but the emu restart then ;(
at least with this method I passed the swirl logo.. but it s finally pointless

OP
mashakos

mashakos

gorzerk said:
well I have done some other test in my side.
I have manage to burn two times in the same session the audio.raw audio track, and then the game+dummy.
the boot worked then, I had the swirl and then the sega speech.. it could have been a sucess... but the emu restart then ;(
at least with this method I passed the swirl logo.. but it s finally pointless

What's the game you're talking about?
Also could you give your os version and system specs ?

OP
mashakos

mashakos

tygra said:
this is an old trick mashakos,
it is already found by other member and i have been using it for few weeks now.
u just need to run cdrwin.

Hehe... Checked your posts and found you talked about this a lot! :D

But when I was searching I only saw one post... Don't know why

At least I figured out something new:

When using daemon tools, unmount the image run CDRWIN then mount the image.

I think it's because daemon tools has it's own atapi/aspi driver so if the image is already mounted CDRWIN will be useless.

Can't believe ppl talked so much about this subject!

branana

I can confirm that mashakos's method posted in the more detailed description works under windows 2000 professional with SP4, using CDRWIN 3.9G with Shenmue CD1 USA (the only one I tried, i just got this emu). Works perfect. THank you mashakos. It did not work before without the trick, only shows the dreamcast CD player.

fatalM4

wow, this works! i used a method like this to get real cds working but i didn't think of using extract on the virtual drives :p