What's new

Can the emulator run with a GD-ROM disc?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
The emulator can run with a GD-ROM disk but your CD-DVD drive won't be able to read it, so it is not possible to run any GD-ROMs with Chankast.

Trotterwatch

I have heard rumours of certain DVD drives being able to with some illegally hacked firmware. I can't go into more details on this forum (even if I knew more) lol Search google to see if there is any truth in this.

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
ive heard simular rumors, but im sure i remember people on the icarus team (like Felix) talking about it, and there was some talk about changing the angle of the laser (CAV?) for it to read.

mezkal

Man on a mission
CAV refers to Constant Angular Velocity - its to do with the flywheel weighting on the spin motor, meaning essentially that CAV drives once spun up have a weight that continues the drive spinning (unpowered) due to centrifugal force.

Dreamlover

I hvae a DVD burner (NEC 1300a) and i tested to read the GD-roms with two of my games (Sonic Adventure and dead or alive 2) Both games don´t run. I only see some extras like copyright and some pictures in a folder. I have not tested orther games, because i think the result will be the same

Trotterwatch means that there is a hack for DVD roms to read GD-Roms, but if i find and use one of the hack, whats with my DVDs. Can i read and burn DVDs or not ? What do you mean ?

Other question: Is it possible to build out the GD-drive from dreamcast and put it into pc ? The thing where i can put the controller into the dreamcast is fush, but the drive is ok, so i can test it, if it is possible and someone have a instruction how to do that

Sauron-Jin

Dreamlover said:
Other question: Is it possible to build out the GD-drive from dreamcast and put it into pc ? The thing where i can put the controller into the dreamcast is fush, but the drive is ok, so i can test it, if it is possible and someone have a instruction how to do that

No, you can´t, Dreamcast GD-ROM Drive is not a standard IDE unit, you would need a self-made special controller to make it work.

And... i don't think you are going to find any firmware to read GD-ROMs in any of your readers, if there really existed one, it is not for a modern drive model... and of course, firmwares are exclusively for its intended exact model and not for another one, you could destroy yor drive if you try to flash it with an inadecuate firmware.

I think trying to read GD-ROMS is a complete waste of time, it is less frustrating to download already dumped games from the internet.

Last edited:

Jupiter

Just a Jupi.
Sauron-Jin said:
I think trying to read GD-ROMS is a complete waste of time, it is less frustrating to download already dumped games from the internet.
That statement is debatable for people like me that are still on dialup. >_>

Freesnake

I ever read an article about copying data from gdroms to a scsi harddisk by DC itself,and then connecting it to DC to decrease the loading time.maybe we can use this way to deal with gdroms.

SANiK

Go on E-Bay and buy the Dreamcast dev unit.
It's a PC with:
GD firmware
Katana SDK

They sell for 800$

evilryu

GD-ROM's session 2 is Mode1 data,but Chankast cannot boot Mode1 data,so the emulator cannot run with a GD-ROM disk.