What's new

Help me! I lost a FAT32 Partition

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I was about to install Slackware, so then I begun to make a Linux partition using Partition Magic (damn, I'm not gonna use this program in my entire life), everything started just good but then, a fatal error ocurred during the process (one of those with a blue screen). I tried to make a 3 Gb Ext2 partition, I already had that quantity of unpartitioned space to do that but I don't know what in the world happen and I losed my FAT32 partition... I really need help guys... The current state of the this stuff is this:

1. The emergency disks of Partition Magic didn't work
2. The partition is not recognized by Windows in another PC
3. But somehow strange is that the repair console of the M$ WinXP Installation Disk recognize the file system and I can even browse through the directories...
4. The partiton now is a "PqRp type" and it is labeled PowerQuest...

Somebody help me please, I really need to recover that information...

Pokemoner

aka Saiko..
t0rek said:
I was about to install Slackware, so then I begun to make a Linux partition using Partition Magic (damn, I'm not gonna use this program in my entire life), everything started just good but then, a fatal error ocurred during the process (one of those with a blue screen). I tried to make a 3 Gb Ext2 partition, I already had that quantity of unpartitioned space to do that but I don't know what in the world happen and I losed my FAT32 partition... I really need help guys... The current state of the this stuff is this:

1. The emergency disks of Partition Magic didn't work
2. The partition is not recognized by Windows in another PC
3. But somehow strange is that the repair console of the M$ WinXP Installation Disk recognize the file system and I can even browse through the directories...
4. The partiton now is a "PqRp type" and it is labeled PowerQuest...

Somebody help me please, I really need to recover that information...
This happend to me too(I sweared not to try installing that Linux forever)
In my case,I used Norton Utilities..it repaired a hardwere error..then I went to Fdisk..Deleted all partitions(It was a bad feeling to lose all your data at once)and made new partitions..But hey,I dont know whether that will work with u or not..
I hope this is the solution...

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
hmm...when partition magic b0rks up during its operations, it usually tries to continue on next restart.

Need more info. Is that your Windows partition? Can you boot up on Windows? Is there other partitions or drives you arent mentioning?

From what you give us right now, Id say boot up the Slackware CD and see if you can mount it. If you can, copy your stuff it to somewhere safe.

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
OK Pj6er, first of all that is the only partition of my hd, Windows doesn't boot. I'm now posting from a friend PC, here Windows doesn't recognize the partition, and since my hd doesn't boot at all, Partition Magic can't recover anything, I already tried with their emergency disk but they are useless, by the moment the only way I could see these files is using the repair console (when the Windows Installation disc boots), by this way I can see all my files, but somehow the damn M$ don't let me copy directories and use "*" if I want to copy something using that console... So I know the info is there... I haven't tried if I can mount the partition in Linux, I'll try... PJ64er, I know yo have experience with this kind of stuff, please help me, and also Slougi, if you are seeing this post help me here or PM me... both of you... I'm just a little bit scared...

Quvack

You could probably recover booting into windows and stuff by using 'fixmbr' at the cmd prompt when your in WinXP recovery console, yeah it'll bork ur Linux install but meh :p

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I already tried that "fixmbr" command, and also "fixboot", I believe that the partition and its info it is jus there in the from of FAT32, but Powerquest "labeled" as as powerquest partition, so it doesn't boot or is recognoized as valid file system by Windows, a program for "relabel it" would be useful, but this is just a poor hypothesis of mine :(

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
If by experience, you mean getting in shit once :p.

Nice find for the article. It pretty much tells you everything you need to know. First of all, make sure all your files are intact. Take a look around, but DONT WRITE ANYTHING.

you have a few options for looking around. The repair console thing that you did could work. Or you can boot up your Slackware CD (If you can get Knoppix, its better, theres manual pages to help you there) and use the limited Linux to mount and read it. To mount, if you dont know, type "mount /dev/hda1 <mount point-an empty folder>". Keep in mind not to write anything.

Finally, once you are satisfied that everything is there, start cfdisk (again, in Slackware) and change the partition's type back to FAT32. If everything DOES work, then you should be able to boot from it again. This is what the article recommends, and hopefully it works...

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Thxs to all you guys, also a lot of thanks to Kahenraz, that getDataBack program justs rocks... I recovered more than 100% of my data... How this is possible (more than 100%) ? With this I mean I recovered files that I deleted using windows explorer and they wasn't in the recycle bin, believe me if you need to recover some data, you must give this program a try, it is easy to use and rocks!