What's new

Slow in Yoshis Story

Canalrat

Yoshis Story runs very slow. I don't mean the fps they are in in high resolution (1024x768x32 in window mode) never under 20fps. And the pictures dont't come one-by-one, its all smoothly. but game Speed is very slow. But just in PJ64. In 1964 the speed seems to be ok, but in1964 only the Menu is good shown. "in" game is all black screen, execpt Yoshi...
what can i do.
My Mashine isn't the newest, i know, but until now it was enough for even high resolutions...
Please help me

OP
C

Canalrat

Sorry i forgot to tell you, which plugins i use:
jabo Direct3D6 1.5
No sound (Instead of that winamp, but i also tried to shut down WA amnd the problem still exists)
jabo DirectInput7 1.5

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
No wonder. Your specs are too low for pj.
I don't know if it's a more demanding game, though, but slowdowns you should definetly get with pj.

OP
C

Canalrat

well, i know my specs are low, but i can even play Perfect Dark in PJ real good at about 20fps.
I don't know, but is it a general problem that N64 games are a bit slower emulated, because with Pilotwings i have the similar problem, but not that heavy. The seccounter is counting, but not seconds, I guess a about 1,2s, per "real2 second? In 1080° for example is everything ok. The seconds are "real" seconds!
@vleespet: You were right i didn't use Jabo in 1964. But with Jabo 1964 says:
"Uh, Oh, this rom uses an unknown microcode"
One more to say: If i reduce resolution and color depth to 16-bit i got more fps, about 50, but not a faster game...
Sorry i forgot: Which other emulator should i use, if my mashine is too slow?

OP
C

Canalrat

@vleespet: Yes. The one, which comes with PJ64 + the update.
I tasted Nemu and its a bit better with this, but the picture is wrong viewed with it. (A little bit of the below is shown on the bottom (i hope i use this words rightly, in bad english:something (about 1-2 cms) which belong down are up on the window(Hope you understand))
The speed with 1964 seems to be ok, but only the menu is shown correct, the game is black and only Yoshi and these points....i guess i should post a picture, should i? i'll try to post one in a few minutes....

vleespet

The decent one
The one with the service pack is running worse (no background) than the one with the original PJ64, so also try this one.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Yoshi's Story's graphics are 90% Framebuffer effects, which means your CPU is doing nearly every last bit of work on the game's graphics.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Canalrat said:
But with Jabo 1964 says:
"Uh, Oh, this rom uses an unknown microcode"

You're probably using an outdated version of Jabo's GFX renderer plugin. Make sure you're using Jabo's GFX plugin 1.5.

OP
C

Canalrat

I am sorry. I didn't tried Nemu it was mupen64. now i tried Nemu and its much better! But not with Jabo (maybe you're right it's not the latest version, but i was the latest i found), but with the standard plugin which is called "nemu64 Graphics (combine debug)<LemD3D8.dll>"
Anyway thank you for trying to help me this nice game getting run.

Floflo81

The best Zelda fan
On my computer, Yoshi's story works very well with a little change in the configuration of the video plugin. Setting on "Force normal blending" fixes all transparency problems. The only graphics glitches left are these :
  • Some objects that should be rotated are scaled instead (I'll send some screenshots to show later)
  • When you are going to one part of a stage from another, there is some kind of page effect that uses Primary Buffer textures but when I activate it in the plugin config, the game becomes slower (about 30 FPS).
One thing, I use Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5 .
Does someone has an idea of how to have the rotating objects look right ? And for the framebuffer effects, I guess I'll have to buy a better graphics card... :cry: (Shit, I have just bought my computer...)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
You can't get the framebuffer effects faster. Some plugins like rice's handle the frambuffer effects nicer, but I don't think you can emulate them all, it's how the PCs are built.
As for the "errors," I also found that both Jabo and Rice's (old one, however) both had some diffrent problems, so try to alternate and see if it fixes the problem.

Floflo81

The best Zelda fan
It doesn't matter for the framebuffer effects. But I think it would be possible to make some objects look better if for example Jabo just worked a little more on his plugin to fix that... See the attached screenshots. Strangely, Rice's plugins don't work very well on my computer. On some websites, I saw very good screenshots taken with this plugin but it's very buggy on my computer. Moreover, Rice's plugins (all versions) work only with 1964 and not with Project64 (I have an error message). Strange...

Clements

The flat graphics you have shown look suspiciously the same as the flat 2D graphics shown by Jabo's plugin in Super Smash Bros...