What's new

Zelda games graphics problems

zelda

For the most part, Zelda OoT and majora's mask work fine for me in project 64. I use version 1.4. However, there are certain graphics problems. The action icons and the other C button icons at the top-right corner of the screen show text in black instead of showing it in white. Like the number of arrows is shown in black and the action performed by the action icon (in blue) is in black. Both are unreadable. Also the clothes worn by link are always white, regardless of what tunic he wears, goron tunic or the zora tunic. The same problem is in the Zelda Subscreen. Description of items is in black. Zelda Majora's Mask shows the same problems for the action icons and C button icons. However Link's clothes are green in that.

My specifications :-

AMD Duron 850 MHz processor
128 MB SDRAM
Windows 2000 Professional
S3 ProSavage KM133 chipset graphics card
4x AGP with 32MB memory
Direct X version 8.0

RJA

The PC Wiz
" Zelda" , you have the same gfx issues as some other people have and...

This also occurs with Voodoo 3 s.
To fix the black text, use " Change blending mode if invalid for video card" under "Emulation" tab. I had to use that setting for the Voodoo 3 . White Link (and most other Kokiris except Saria and maybe some others) also is the known issue by me.
This is known to be a side effect of disabling "Advanced AGP"
(with Direct Control or similar utilities). But I had to with the Voodoo 3, or else otherwise the sky will be bright red and dust
looking like black squares and some other gfx white squares.

Remember, for the text, use "Change blending mode if invalid for video card" and for white clothes, try chaging the "Advanced AGP"
setting with Direct Control or similar utility.

OP
Z

zelda

didn't work

Hey, that didn't seem to work for me. The text remains black even now. As for the white clothes, they remain white after disabling Advanced AGP using Direct Control 5.5. I restarted the emulator and checked again, still same results.

RJA

The PC Wiz
Try PJ64 1.3 gfx then, " Zelda"

The 1.4 gfx plugin can handle stuff differently then earlier Jabo's gfx plugins. I noticed with Mario Kart 64 in PJ64 1.4 gfx plugin with
an integrated Intel AGP video controller, "Change blending mode if invalid for video card" won't fix the go cart from being messed up and a white square, while it fixed it in earlier Jabo's gfx plugin versions. Goldeneye 007, with 1.4 Jabo's gfx even with my trusty GeForce 2 MX 200 video card, the gfx are more messed up then
in earlier Jabo's gfx plugin versions.

TheLostMarioBro

It could be that your card only supports up to 16-bit textures, and I would assume that Zelda requires 32-bit textures. I had similar problems when I was using a voodoo3 2000 pci card. Question: Can you check or uncheck the "Use 32-bit textures instead of 16-bit textures if needed" option? If not then your card only supports 16-bit

OP
Z

zelda

Nope, the option of 32-bit textures does come up in the Emulation menu. And neither does that seem to improve the black text or the clothes problem. However, there are no other glitches, like the red sky ...................

If anybody has used a S3 ProSavage card and faced a similar problem, please reply........

DiaBlo666

i had almost same problem and i ended in conclusion that his issue is due to WINDOWS 2000... i had same problem with win2k/me but when switched THE SAME HARDDRIVE WITH WIN2K/ME TO A COMPUTER WITH XP the problem was fixed .. dunno if that is because winxp has directx 8.1 pre-installed.. just my thoughs..

Slougi

You're lucky that you can even use pj64 with a savage gfx card. I have the same chipset and PJ64 would lock up and take the whole pc down. The only solution I found was to get a geforce gfx card. The S3 drivers just plain suck ass... :(

HELLRA1SER

I get those bugs. I fix the black action words with the "change blending for invalid video cards" mode. This mode sometimes gives me a black screen except for the menu during times like change from night to day and when something gets behind Link. Link sometimes has a green tunic on. I've never seen him with Red or Blue before.

Athlon 1200, Win98, ATI Xpert 2000 (Rage128 Chip) with latest drivers.

Last edited:

mike_7286

Okay yeah I have some of the same problems.

Link is white and I get red skys! I couldn't find Direct Control 5.5 that you were talking about but I have a PCI card.

I don't have black text but if anyone could help me figure out white link and red skys it would be very helpful!!

Thanks.

Oh, my specs are:

Giga-Byte 71XE mobo
AMD K7 Athlon Slot A 850mhz
200mhz FSB
256mb SDRAM
an older 5 gig HD
3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 PCI

OP
Z

zelda

Apparently, it's not just the black text and link's clothes, some of the colours in the game are wrong, mainly the character's colours. Remember, that in Young Link's world, there is a woman in the market that has lost her dog and you bring her a white dog back to her? I searched like mad for that dog but didn't find out. The reason : All dogs looked white! Just recently I found out using Reference Rasterisizer that the dogs were supposed to be brown in colour, and there was one white dog left. Finally, I got the heart piece. Also, the songs played on the ocarina and the magic spells, Din's fire, Farore's Wind are all white in Jabo's 1.4 Direct 3D6 (or even 7). But on ver 1.3, at least the spells were colourful and the songs created various colours. Can anybody explain this loss of colours?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Glowstick said:
i would sugest your video cards dont suport all the CAPS that Jabo talks about in the PJ64 help file...
No. I would agree on that. Having a bad video card causes these problems. U could check the "change clending mode if invalid for video card" in options, but it's unlikely to work I guess.

mike_7286

Yeah I got Direct X 8.1 already ??? I downloaded Project 64 v 1.3 a while ago and didn't see much change, I enabled the reference rasterizer and that didn't change much...maybe I have a bad rom?? Mine is in Spanish so I can't even understand half of anything they say.

Still, any help would be usefull, so would a good link to download DirectControl :blush:

...hehe thanks guys for listening.....

Last edited:

mike_7286

Yeah I already got that checked. That fixed alot of the problems but I'm still trying to figure out the rest. Oh and by the way, I got the reference rasterizer working and though it was extremely slow (like 1 frame per two sec I bet) the game looked normal.

So I geuss that means something wrong with my hardware or drivers?

Well still, here are my probs:

Links clothes are white, so are other various kokiri people.

Some indoor room texture do not apear (link's house, everything is green or red with outline of bed/table.)

oh and how can I find out the version of my Voodoo 3 3000 drivers?

Thanks

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Get into the Device Manager and get properties on the device adapter section where it shows your card. That should tell you. If you want more detailed help I need to know your what operating system your using

mike_7286

...I use the Windows 98se operating system.

I did this:

-System Properties
-Device Manager
-Display adapters
-3dfx Voodoo3 (clicked properties)

3dfx Voodoo3 Properties Window
-Driver Tab
-Driver File Details Button

It shows the Provider, Copyright info, and File version.
File version as 4.12.01.0666

Thanks! Oh how about Glide/OpenGL driver versions?