What's new

MORE help with SOA... *Add a big I AM A MORON* sign here

Darkshine

Yes, with the 2000 tutorials, and 500 ways of doing it, even following them step by step, I (Still) cant get Skies of Arcadia to work *Mumbling*

When I use the SOAPatcher v3.01, nothing happens. No file appears, no changes are made. Taking in count that I´m in C:/SOAPatcher, the error about having too long filenames or directories or something like that isnt supposed to happen. And yes, I´m using Daemons Tools v3.29, and I do have the bios.

If I use Fastboot, I can create the cdi, but when I run the game, it gives me a black screen after the sega logo.

…My 3rd hex editor expired already, AND I´m lazy enough not to search for another in a WHILE, so hexing the thing into oblivion (Or Digital hell, for the look of my other hex projects…) is out of question.

So... any suggestions of what I can do to run SOA in Chankast? It seems to be an excellent RPG and I cant just leave it unplayed...

Zell

Then buy a Dreamcast or a Gamecube. Easy as that.

nothing happens at all when you run SOAPatcher? no window even appears?

OP
D

Darkshine

Dreamcasts are not for sale here in dread Argentina, and a GC costs around 400 dollars. Yar, big time ripoff.

And, yes, the windows appears, it finishes patching, but no file is created.
Maybeh I should check soatp/ folder right after a patching, but I doubt that it´d work...

Well, time to mess around with Binhack again....

Chilly0123

your version of SOA could be bad, try downloading a new one from a different source and see if that works. Also i think the patcher is only for the Pal Echelon version, if you have the Ntsc Echelon version i dont know if it will work but it might.

Dark Mits

Eternal Darkness
For some strange reason this occured to me too. But not on my computer, my dad's.

Is the version of Windows you are using not English? In my dad's case it wasn't, that's what I can think as a first reason.
Have you installed any Service Packs? It has worked for me with Service Pack 1 and 2.
How much time does the procedure take (SOApatcher)? If it's taking more than 10-15 minutesfor both discs then something in your -prototype- discs is wrong.
If you can, try patching at a friends of yours. See if the same happens.

Chilly0123

i took me 20 - 30 minutes just to patch one disk and it works perfectly in chankast. My comp is kind of old though, i cant run any games in chankast at full speed but i can run them at a playable speed.

Studioworks

@ Darkshine ... i was ready to call you a Moron but then i go and dl the newest SOAPatcher, get my copy of SOA (echelon) ... i patched the imaga and VOALA ... no image anywhere, i do this 3 times (just in case) and nothing, then i decided to keep an eye on all the proces and the temp folder was created, image get patched but then image dont get moved before the folder get deleted ... what i do??? good for me i have Norton ... i do an unerase (just after finished one of the patches) and recover the file .... hope that help you ..

P.D. some1 more have this problem???? when SOA crash most of the times i lose the VMUs.bin (get corrupted or something) and i need to remplace to keep playing or else i only get into Bios configuration.

Last edited:

Dark Mits

Eternal Darkness
You mean that the file is created but gets erased and you can recover it though an unerase ultility? Damn, hadn't thought of that.

To Studioworks: The file that gets corrupted is the BIOS one, not the VMS. Try this:

- Perform a clean install of Chankast (extract, place all files etc.)
- Change some files attributes so that they are readable (I don't remember their names...)
- Run Chankast with no disc loaded so that you get to the BIOS screen.
- Change the BIOS attributes through the menus to the ones you want (for instance I have set it so that when I start a game it takes me first to the BIOS and then it plays after i say "play").
- Exit Chankast.
- Change the attributes of the files again so that they are "read only" (this is important!)
- Just in case something goes wrong, make a back-up again of the now configured bios.

Now you should be able to play again. Whenever Chankast crashes the BIOS doesn't get corrupted and you don't have to go through this all again. Just restart Chankast.

To help you avoid crashes (not all though...) read the "How To Get Skies Of Arcadia blah blah blah" topic on this forum. Somewhere one to two pages before the end I have mentioned some interesting stuff.

And a new update: I finished it thrice!!! (hint: use items! I didn't in my last game and boy was it hard!)

--EDIT--

I forgot to obey the topic rule:

<B>I AM A MORON!!! :p </B> (How do I make it big?)

--EDIT 2--

Forgot to mention: The files that should be set to read only are the BIOS ones only. If you set the VMS.bin files to read only Chankast will allow you to save, but it actually won't. Happened to me first time.

Last edited:
OP
D

Darkshine

First, sorry for the float. I promise it wont happen again. Unless, y´know, it does happen, in which case I´m sorry in advance. If this float somehow affected you, ya get free kick on Darkshine´s groin. Woo.

That aside...
Mits, I´m running the Spanish version of Windows XP, second service pack. So, yes, it´s in a different language. I blame Japan, although I´m not too sure why.

Studio: unerase? Uh, I hadnt thought about that... Well, I´ll get a echelon version (again. Damn me and my addiction to deleting stuff) and try that... Hopefully it will work.

I AM A MORON v.2

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Darkshine said:
I´m running the Spanish version of Windows XP, second service pack. So, yes, it´s in a different language. I blame Japan, although I´m not too sure why.

I don't know what you have against Japan, but I think more problems are caused in South America than Asia, considering all the Columbian drug lords there are. Seems the easy cop out for everyone is to blame the Japanese. Just remember that the majority of video games that these emulators run and the systems being emulated are created in Japan.
Darkshine said:
I AM A MORON v.2
^ At least you're honest.

Last edited:
OP
D

Darkshine

g33z, I was trying to sound stupid. Cant you _sense_ the stupidity in that post? It´s oozing like... like... some example yet to be created by some Nazis and discovered by me and my non-existent half-brother Roger!

Uh-hu, I wrote ooze.

Now, I do not neglect that most (95% of em) games that I play (and love) are from Japan. So is anime. And manga. And I love that stuff. However, there are some bad things about Japan. Things which I am not allowed to say due to the rules of this forum.

And I would have blamed Colombia, but, first, I do that everyday at sk00l. Argentinean custom n_n. Second, as it seems, you dont even know how to spell it. Nor I suppose anyone here would, or where the heck Peru is. Hence, I changed Bolivia (the nation I first wrote in my previous post) to Japan, as the later is much more widely known.

Nuff said.
..Unless ya want me to speak about pie. Blueberry pie.