What's new

Dolphin runs Zelda WW!

oDD

/me odd
On the topic of dynarec's. Has any self modifying code been found in or are commercial gamecube games known to use self modifying code? If not then wouldn't static recompilation be plausible?

Also great work by the author! It looks awesome! Also DesktopMan, what connection do you have to the author?

OP
aprentice

aprentice

euphoria said:
Well, just be exact it compiles code into native binary code. Asm is a low-level programming language, so it needs to be compiled.

you are correct if you are talking about an asm compiler, but we are not in this case :p

DesktopMan

oDD said:
On the topic of dynarec's. Has any self modifying code been found in or are commercial gamecube games known to use self modifying code? If not then wouldn't static recompilation be plausible?

Also great work by the author! It looks awesome! Also DesktopMan, what connection do you have to the author?

Talked to him/her/they sometimes. Since pong (my pong) was the first released homebrew game (not just static picture or the like), I was in contact with emu authors that had questions. Not so much with Dolphin though, since it was already quite advanced.

euphoria

Emutalk Member
oDD said:
On the topic of dynarec's. Has any self modifying code been found in or are commercial gamecube games known to use self modifying code?
How you think it would modify it's code? Writing to the disc is no option, only thing i could think of is making code patches to memory card and loading them from there, but it sounds a bit unlikely? Any thoughts?

DesktopMan said:
Gekko doesn't need reverse engineering. It's well documented in free, legal docs from ibm. Thus, writing an interpreter is fairly easy. The next logical step (on the cpu side of things) is dynarec, which of course is a bit more advanced
I meant the gfx chip, whatever it's called...
DM it seems you've become the dolphin's spokesman :)

DesktopMan

There's some "cheating" going on :) Some commands etc doesn't really need processing, since just doing it is faster.

btw, it's called flipper.

Euphoria: I didn't really know about selfmodifying code, since I havn't disassembled much. But a safe source tells me that it happens all the time. In ram that is.

Last edited:
..whats the best place for gamecube emulation info these days? Like if i wanted to get all the info the authors have is there somewhere they would go? Kind fancy cluing myself up a bit..

Or i could just wait for a NeSC style site to appear

M

mainframe19

what were the specs of the computer that was running dolphin that took these screen

shots?? just wondering.cause if it's faster than a 2.3ghz than we will be waiting a long time for any real in any ngc game to be realy playable!!

posty_2k3

T3h pwn3r3r
I bet there is a way to run these games without a whole mess of a machine. Remember UltraHLE? It ran N64 games on a P2 233mhz at almost full speed. And all the other N64 emus require alot of power. I'm not saying that this is so easy to do and stuff, no I'm not saying that. I'm saying it could be possible so once he gets it running with better graphics and more games, focus on that.

Raede

M00pen sistay foor!
Well, my system used to play roms at around 24 FPS on the N64 emu's, but I used the UltraHLE plugin and got 50+ FPS, so I bet they could do well with the dolphin.
But, how are you gonna play ISO's on this emu? I mean, minidiscs aren't common.

posty_2k3

T3h pwn3r3r
That's what I was wondering. Did he find a way for the Mini-DVD to boot from ur DVD-ROM drive? Or do you have to get them from the internet, and where? (i'm not asking for them, meerly stating questions i had)

EDIT: If you wanna talk about gc emus and stuff with me, send me an IM with aim, yahoo, or msn.

Last edited:

joel_029

Lead Guitarist
Hey posty, it's a bad idea to even hint towards advice about where to find iso's, roms, etc. because they're illegal. So I'd probably edit your post once more deleting the "where?" question. Bans happen pretty quickly.

posty_2k3

T3h pwn3r3r
Oh, I didn't mean like where to get em, I jus wanted to talk about like how do u think they made them and stuff. Because the GC disks work weird. Sorry if you guys thought I was asking for ISOs. I can find crap like that on my own. I just wanted to know like how they made them. And how the heck will they work anyways. Srry, I'll edit my above post.

EDIT: Any better?

DesktopMan

Several isos were released a long time ago. Including zelda. The emulator can a) load the .iso, .ngc or whatever file, or b) map a directory on the computer (say, a demo or an extracted iso) and plays that.

Last edited:
M

mainframe19

than why is people giveing out this file

The.Legend.of.Zelda.The.Wind.Waker.USA.NGC-Starcube [GameCube] ISO.iso <--the file is 1.35gb

i am not tellling where i got it.and it is not alink!
and i own the ngc game dvd.

Teamz

J'aime tes seins
mainframe19 said:
than why is people giveing out this file

The.Legend.of.Zelda.The.Wind.Waker.USA.NGC-Starcube [GameCube] ISO.iso <--the file is 1.35gb

i am not tellling where i got it.and it is not alink!
and i own the ngc game dvd.

I think that the size of you're ISO is bigger because it's filled with random data

Starcube's release doesnt have all this random data

M

mainframe19

well i mounted it with daemon tools 3.3!
and ran it in dolwin007 and got this error "no support...gamecube intro/menu emulation not yet available.please, use "high-level bs2" and the click ok button.same thing when i check the high-level in dolwin007 in options gekko.
whats up with that??