What's new

WinDoze 8

Cyberman

I know you have all been baiting with weighted breath on Windows 8 I know I know. (cough) anyhow a preview. Some of the comments are somewhat amusing (if you consider MS history with OS introductions).

It's just a photo show mostly, that doesn't make how it works worth beans.

I do wonder why everything is now 'flying screens' that imitate tablets phones and pods, but whatever (Gnome does that and it's annoying).

MS is pushing to be on your tablet phone or what-have-you gadget. It's a market they desperately need. I won't say my opinion on if they should have it or not. :D

Cyb

Toasty

Sony battery
Well I will say my opinion on if they should have it or not: They shouldn't. :evil:

Anyway... Windows 8. I tried the preview and am not impressed with it on the desktop at all. The new Start Screen doesn't work very efficiently for navigating installed "apps" (I really hate that term on the desktop for some reason) with a mouse, and it's a pain because they make it such a prominent feature. Besides that, the interface is a lot less discoverable with invisible (until you stumble upon them) hotspots everywhere.

It really seems like they went out of their way to make the OS for tablets and to make desktops a second-class citizen, which does not strike me as a smart move. Their monopoly is the desktop, but they're jeopardizing that market to try and enter another market. (And it's a precarious attempt at that. In the tablet space I really don't see what Windows 8 would offer over Android at this point.) They keep saying that tablets should be more like PCs, and I agree with that to some extent. It would be very nice to dock a tablet with a mouse and keyboard and be able to do desktop tasks with it. (Some (Android) tablets have already had some success with this.) But Microsoft is doing the opposite: Compromising the PC to make it more like a tablet.

[/opinion]