What's new

Windows Vista incompatible with hires texture packs using P64?(I Can't get it to work

Sanity's_Theif

Ok I downloaded Project64, I can run normal roms fine and all but I wanted to use hires textures for OOT so I followed the steps here

I get up to where the emulator is loading the textures, it loads all the textures, then a windows pops up saying the program has stopped working and Windows closes it, EVERY TIME, am I doing something wrong or are hires textures not compatible with Vista?

OP
S

Sanity's_Theif

I don't know exactly what you need but I'll list what I see:

Windows Vista Home Basic
Manufacturer: Acer
Model: Aspire 5315
Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T1400 @ 1.73GHz 1.73GHz
Memory (RAM): 2038MB
System Type: 32-but Operating System

The plugin for the emulator I was using was Mudlord's Rice Video Build 6.1.4 as directed from that setup page I provided a link for

OP
S

Sanity's_Theif

use glide64 and enable all the compression settings.

Ok I did this and downloaded the latest WIP fix for glide64 and enabled anything under textures that said compression

And I stell get the same problem, only this time, there isn't a bunch of text that says it's loading hires textures, it just stays black for a bit, then the screen gets a little bigger, and then the program stops working

EDIT:

Here's what the folder setups look like:

20swpr8.jpg

99mmmo.jpg

Last edited:
OP
S

Sanity's_Theif

its probably the graphics chip you use.

Do I have all the right files in the right places?

Then the problem is my graphics card?

I ran dxdiag and under "Device" under the display tab it says"

Name: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip Type: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
DAC Type: Internal
Approx. Total Memory: 358 MB
Current Display Mode: 1024 X 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

Is any of that no good for running hires textures?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Not powerful enough and lacking the necessary features; the bane of most Intel's graphics chips.

Almost any decent video card made within the last seven years or so should be good enough.

OP
S

Sanity's_Theif

Not powerful enough and lacking the necessary features; the bane of most Intel's graphics chips.

Almost any decent video card made within the last seven years or so should be good enough.

One last question, is this something I could replace on a laptop easily or should I send it in to someplace to have it done.

And do you have any recommendations for a graphics card? Because knowing my luck I'll pick one that's incompatible with this stuff somehow -_-

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Since the graphics chip is integrated to the motherboard, there is no way to change it. It is not something that computer [repair] shops do either, at least to my knowledge. You will have to buy a new laptop.

I suck at recommending anything, so don't ask me to recommend anything. :/ My ATI Radeon 9800 Pro works well enough for the little that I fiddle with hi-res packs. Both ATI's and nVidia's integrated chips beat Intel's offerings easily.

Bottom line is that as long as it's not Intel and not something made in the 90's - early 2000s, you'll be fine.

Last edited: